PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

go back to days of yore

Options

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    CLICK HERE to find out how to get a pic. I'm rubbish at explaining ;D
    Bulletproof
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CLICK HERE to find out how to get a pic.  I'm rubbish at explaining ;D

Thanks a lot as u can see I'm now sorted!!
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive turned into my mums maiden aunt who had tins for everything

ive got a tin for my spends  cos if theyre in the tin and not in my purse I cant spend them!!

a tin for the O/Fs spends

a tin for the petrol money    and beleive me, it works as you see the money dwindling away and think, "well, if I dont go out today, I HAVE to go to such and such tomorrow so Ill do what i was going to do today  tomorrow. and were saving about £30 a week on petrol now!!

bearing in mind  the nearest shop to us is a 30 mile round trip. so we use a lot.

ive got a tin for the slummy which comes to about £40 every three months or so   all that lose change adds up

if I had a milk man  Id have a tin for him as well  ::) ::)
    This reminds me of my dear old mum(God bless her) who also had lots of tins & jars. Whenever she did a load of washing she would put fifty pence in a jar towards the next lot of washing powder-the same if she used anything out of the freezer. She also had a store cupboard under the stairs & every time she used a tin of beans for example she would replace it with another one even though there were already 5 or so there. She used to say it was because of the rationing in the war(she would have been about 14 when war broke out).

When she died we found enough money in the house to pay all the fuel and rent bill for the three months it took to clear the house out!!!

PS whats a slummy????
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thats an exellent idea putting the money in a jar when you use the washing powder etc. will do that.

I have a stock cupboard andkeep it well stocked as were so far from the shops, when the petrol protests were on, that taught me to keep a good stock in we were without petrol for about 2 days

the freezer was full but I was worried we would starve to death, the old fart looks a bit stringy to me and the dog is far too important to eat!!
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back from hols, Cathy! Hope you had a lovely time.

The dog is FAR TOO IMPORTANT to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, converted my 67 year old mother to using vinegar to clean bits and bobs. She has a little plastic water flask which she keeps in her handbag for going out. It has become a bit scummy with limescale/marks. She tried washing up liquid and all to no avail. Then hey, a good rub with vinegar produced the desired result. Magic. Another happy lady.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bumped for croutons, page 4, reply 84. to go with soup. ;D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can remember my Mum making one egg feed the three of us kids making poor knights pudding which was basically jam sandwiches dipped into a one egg batter mix and lightly fried on both sides until golden and crispy. If we were lucky she would sprinkle some sugar on the top as a treat!!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My grandsons still has them , he loves them ;D
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I also remember that leftovers were never thrown away, they were always carefully put into covered bowls in the fridge and used to make another meal the next day - often soups by putting all the vegetables and potatoes, chopped up, into a pan of stock and simmering together with seasoning, adding any left over cold meat as well, lovely warming smells filling the kitchen.

These days you could do the same and put everything into a blender at the end for a lovely smooth, thick and nourishing soup.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thats great! I guess the food we ate then was so filling and nourishing that we didn't need all the expensive snacks like crisps and snack bars to keep going!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport