PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

go back to days of yore

Options

Comments

• Greenstuff_2
    Greenstuff_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is literally a life saver!

I've had to switch to an organic diet for health reasons and it's SO expensive.
    Fruit and veg are not too bad, especially if you order from an organic delivery place, and ASDA is quite reasonable and have an OK selection, but meat, forget it.
    I couldnt figure out why it's so much more expensive than days of yore then realised it isn't, that's the whole reason they used to stretch it.
    We don't need meat every day, it's not good for you.
    We went to get a chicken for sunday dinner the other week and the only one they had was over £9, we decided to have our roast without meat much to the kids horror but when we finished I asked if they missed the meat and they had completly forgotten!
    We still had yummy yorkshires and gravy and as there was no meat, far more veg.
    We are moving soon and when we do I shall start growing my own fruit and veg, I have ordered a composter (free apart for delivery from local council)
    and am getting 2 chickens! (check out https://www.omlet.co.uk very pricey to get started but how convenient?)

I didn't get the skills for cooking as Mum hated it and worked long hours to support us as it was only me and her, but my sister in law is a chef and does all the making stock and things you mention.
    I saw her once get a whole organic chicken, fillet it and take the legs off and boiled the carcass, bones and bits that would have been thrown for hours to make a soup.
    She gave this to her Son when he was ill as aparantly the bones contain natural antibiotics as well as loads of minerals.
    I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it but might give it a go.

I have tried your shopping technique Cathy and it was amazing.
    Week before I spent £104.36 for a family of 4 on a weeks shopping, the next week after reading your post I did my list and we went through the cupboards to see what we already had and planned meals.
    Our bill? £22.22!!!!
    Yes, the next week it was more as we had less in the back of the cupboards, about £47, but still under half what we usually spend.
    The only disagreement I have is I will not keep my money in a tin, it will go straight in my ISA ;)
    Thanks again.
    V
    Waddle you do eh?
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Im glad its working for you YAY

sticking to the list is a lot better isnt it

I only keep my spends in a tin, theyre not going in no isas cos i want to be able to get at them if and when I need them right away and as its now down to £3,25 >:( cos I went mad and bought a dress and blouse last week, its hardly worth crying over the interest.
    ;D ;D

the other savings were buying premium bonds with as the interest is so low at the moment we might as well have the flutter and a bit of excitement in our dull lives to gee us on a bit, (won £50 and £100 this month anyway) so were going to have a couple of days away on that as we deserve a break,

re the meat thing meat is actually a lot cheaper now than it ever was BUT that is because of intensive farming and the sacrificing of animals needs and comforts

ive just read the first chapter of "not on the label" by felicity lawrence and I swear I WILL NEVER EVER EAT A CHICKEN AGAIN or EAT AN EGG unless its organic
    it was a nightmare read,

try making veggie soup

just lob whatever leftovers you have from bags of frozen veggies into the pan with a couple of knorr chicken or ham stock cubes and some salt and boil then simmer. add some spuds, barley and lentils if your feeling reckless and its yummy

I also found that meat isnt missed in say a large salad if you add eggs and grated cheese nobody notices the lack of meat.

and a large tin of salmon when they are bogof tipped into a bowl and covered in pastry makes a fab "salmon en croute" and you can kid them up theyre highly honoured

fish cakes are nice

corned beef hash is cheap

corned beef lasagne is extra nice

and what about cauli flower cheese??

all good stuff and no meat

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh and i agree about the chicken, if you pick the bones clean of meat and boil those bones for ages you get a lovely stock and the meat you pick off can go in a salad or a stir fry or once youve strained the liquid from bones add to the soup, waste not want not
    ;D
  • Greenstuff_2
    Greenstuff_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Food for thought!

I was only kidding about the tin, premium bonds are a great idea though............

Victoria
    Waddle you do eh?
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ive turned into my mums maiden aunt who had tins for everything

ive got a tin for my spends cos if theyre in the tin and not in my purse I cant spend them!!

a tin for the O/Fs spends

a tin for the petrol money and beleive me, it works as you see the money dwindling away and think, "well, if I dont go out today, I HAVE to go to such and such tomorrow so Ill do what i was going to do today tomorrow. and were saving about £30 a week on petrol now!!

bearing in mind the nearest shop to us is a 30 mile round trip. so we use a lot.

ive got a tin for the slummy which comes to about £40 every three months or so all that lose change adds up

if I had a milk man Id have a tin for him as well ::) ::)
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    For old fashioned recipes, I collect old cookbooks from charity shops. It's something I do for fun, so I don't mind trawling through the tat in search of gems. I've got some dating from the 60's, and reproductions of Marguerite Patten's wartime books. I often find books aimed at poor students, ie Grub on a Grant, or Get Stuffed. The books are an interesting read in their own right, often unintentionally humorous!

My tip I discovered by accident is to roast a ham joint in the same tin as a chicken (use a big turkey pan). It's an energy saving use of the oven, and the resulting gravy is absolutely delicious. Never use the instant granules *ick*

The leftovers will feed an army for a week.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For old fashioned recipes, I collect old cookbooks from charity shops. It's something I do for fun, so I don't mind trawling through the tat in search of gems. I've got some dating from the 60's, and reproductions of Marguerite Patten's wartime books......The books are an interesting read in their own right, often unintentionally humorous!
    This is a great hobby, isn't it! I have recently been given (by my 95 year old grandma) her copy of the stork margarine recipe book issued at the beginning of WW2, and a recipe sent by the Daily Mirror later in the war - it still has the stamp and address on it, obviously no envelope was used to send it in order to save paper!
    I also have my Dad's Mum's pressure cooker recipe book. Don't know how old it is but she died in 1957, before my parents even married. I have the pressure cooker too, but it's only good as a saucepan now, the pressure thing is too old to be repaired. My most used recipe book is one of Marguerite Pattens ones dating from the 1950s. It is a reprint which I bought in 1981 when I got married, called "Learing to Cook" and it even tells you how to boil an egg and make a cup of tea! It was very helpful when I first got married - 'cos I wasn't the most domestic person at the time! :)
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ive got a cook book from the 30s and you can make anything

anything at all with flour salt marg and sugar

even a roast dinner ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Love this thread I've laughed at quite a few comments esp the one about srumping for apples and falling off the vicar's wall!

Would love to put all this into practice but finds it all takes a lot of time so it's either cash rich & time poor or vice versa-anyone else find this?
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone tell me please how u get all those nice piccys and comments on your postings?????
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family