PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

smoothie / smoothies recipes

Options

Comments

• JessicaFishy
    Options
    yer- agree with competitions cafe. I use orange juice, a banana (for thickness), and then whatever else. strawberries and mango are good additions...
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I recently started using my juicer again (just a cheap £25 Kenwood one) as I realised that it's not actually that much of a nightmare to clean IF you stick all the parts into a washing up bowl of hot water to soak as soon as you have 'juiced'.

Current faves:

-
    Carrot, apple and kiwi:
    4 carrots
    1 or 2 apples
    1 kiwi fruit
    handful of fresh parsley
    Carrot, apple and ginger:
    5 or 6 carrots
    2 apples
    thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
    juice of 1 lime

they taste much nicer than they sound, honest!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Ticklemouse
    Options
    I have a juicer and the carrot, apple and ginger is one of my faves. However, as a juice only counts as 1 portion, however much you drink, I have taken to making smoothies. No fancy new gadgets for me - I use my trusty stick blender but I did buy a plastic jug with a lid that has a small removeable piece in the centre, from Netto for £1.99 - thus no splashing banana and strawbs up my jim jams whilst making my brekkie smoothy :D

Currently my fave is 1 banana, large portion of strawberries, 2 nectarines or peaches, blitzed with a glug of skimmed milk - voila, 4-5 portions in a glass. I have also used kiwi instead of necatrines. As the strawberry season is ending,I have a supply of frozen berries which I shall be putting to good use soon.

ps. never frozen them - always drunk at once, but they should make nice ice lolly type things :D
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Sure this is an obvious tip to regular juicers but always use ripe fruit where you can as it gives a much better flavour!!

I also have a question though, is it better to eat a piece of fruit or a drink a large smoothie... always wondered this, just curious.
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • misesther
    Options
    I want to start making smoothies. Can I use my blender or do I need a special machine?
  • jazzyjustlaw
    Options
    You can use your blender - we do. Just had one actually. yum yum
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, we have a thread on smoothies that might help you. :)

To join it Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Options
    Stick blender, jug, add fruit and milk/yog, whizz, there ya go :D

Had one for brekkie - yum
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just off track here a wee bit but I bought myself a stick blender on Tuesday. Bargain at $10. In the arv, whizzed soup up that I had cooking and don't quite know how I did it but lifted it up accidently and soup was sprayed all over kitchen bench, tiles and myself.:D But yes, I will use it for smoothies as well. I'll make sure that I turn it off before lifting up next time.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• make_life_easier
    Options
    I have been looking at a russel hob smoothie blender in currys today reduced to £24.99 from £49.99. I think I will go back and buy it tomorrow as I really need to get more nourishment. :laugh:

I have been reading the you are what you eat monthly magazine and it says you can use vegetable in it. Has anyone got any new recipes? :beer:
    became debt free December 06
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport