Talex Lite Speed Cam Detector £59.99 in Aldi - Hurry!!

Options

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sazzywoo wrote: »
    well no you don't have to take their word for it, but based on what i have read so far i would be cautious if you seriously couldn't risk wasting your money.

I tend to agree, the key word is "risk" here. No point putting £60 on the outsider at the 3.30 at Newbury unless you have insider info it's definitely going to win, or are happy to lose the £60.
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    It has no risk for me as I have had my LITE for 2 years now.. I am just cautious though when a company has already told me updates will be available in mid january and then someone causes panic by throwing out accusations they cant back up... The missing database means nothing just now as NOVUS have said updates available from January.. I will wait and see how this pans out before I get worried.. If it does go down the pan then I will go to trading standards with my e-mail and see what can be done and until then My TOMTOM can take the strain
  • sco0ter
    Options
    Just been on the phone to TALEX and have been ASSURED that the new site and updates will be on www.talex.co.uk within 2-3 weeks and will be updated weekly....

I called 0845 2711110
  • anewman
    Options
    Plus, it would be all too easy for Novus to come here later and say they are a known trouble maker, trying to destroy their business, and that everything's fine and they have 400 highly qualified people trawling the country daily for cameras. Novus would need evidence of that too, which there just isn't yet.
  • anewman
    Options
    sco0ter wrote: »
    Just been on the phone to TALEX and have been ASSURED that the new site and updates will be on www.talex.co.uk within 2-3 weeks and will be updated weekly....

I called 0845 2711110

Did you ask how much they'll cost as the site says "purchase subscriptions". Before the word was "free for life updates". Bit of a U-turn. Will it be another 2-3 weeks if you call back after 4 weeks when things aren't working again?! Did you also ask whether the same people are doing the updates and about the quality. Quality is not the same as frequency.
  • sco0ter
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    Plus, it would be all too easy for Novus to come here later and say they are a known trouble maker, trying to destroy their business, and that everything's fine and they have 400 highly qualified people trawling the country daily for cameras. Novus would need evidence of that too, which there just isn't yet.

As I said until promises have been broken then there is no need to panic... If novus dont come across with the goods then that is more for the people that have NOVUS systems as TALEX seem to be going to reopen and supply the updates again... I am quite happy to keep paying for my subscription but it would be a raw deal for the NOVUS ones if Talex has taken everything back. One thing though is the ones supplied with TALEX LITE sytems but promised the free updates would have to take it up with ALDI. Although Aldi could just say that the free updates were only for the NOVUS and not Talex as was advertised
  • sco0ter
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    Did you ask how much they'll cost as the site says "purchase subscriptions". Before the word was "free for life updates". Bit of a U-turn. Will it be another 2-3 weeks if you call back after 4 weeks when things aren't working again?! Did you also ask whether the same people are doing the updates and about the quality. Quality is not the same as frequency.

There is a full range of new products coming out that will require bought subscriptions. The Talex lite will be free but there was doubt when asked about the full TALEX as they were not sure if the e-mail was given to them even though it says both systems on my e-mail

As I have said before wait until the deadlines have been and gone before worrying.. If in 2-3 weeks nothing is there then it will be time to call in trading standards but at least give them time to come good
  • sco0ter
    Options
    OK a quick update.. Managed to get through to NOVUS.. They have confirmed that they are no longer able to supply the TALEX database as EMBEDDED TECHNOLOGY is not allowing it but they have got the rights to the TALEX systems....HOWEVER they have confirmed they will be supplying FREE database updates but they will in no way have anything to do with TALEX.. So therefore TALEX and TALEX LITE customers will have a choice of 2 databases one from novus and one from talex. they also said there are extensive updates going on and the database will be updated from more sources including independant surveyors, a dedicated team, local enforcement mobile announcements (the ones that they must give 7 days notice of) as well as the up to date online database. This is to happen in the next 2 weeks for all thier products.

I forgot to ask if there would still be a system for the end user to correct mistakes like talex used to have
  • anewman
    Options
    So it seems like the links have been taken down because the database itself is in dispute, so looks like Novus (and Talex to some extent, with the help of the old one) have to start from scratch with the database. I still have my doubts about how good the database will be compared with the Talex one, the Talex one in it's time was considered the best - I got the impression (probably rightly or wrongly) that the updates would be by the same people and of the same quality etc, but just free, and that Novus replaced Talex. IMO they should have got things sorted out amicably and fully before rushing to the market with a new product.
  • sco0ter
    Options
    From what I was told today it is a done deal between Talex and Novus.. The database and sotware were the property of embedded technology who have went into administration and therefore the software and database technology is being sold instead of being given away. Talex Technology bought the name and software/database so Novus cant use the same database suppliers which is what they wanted to do until thier own was ready. Now all this means is Talex technology has to supply a database for old talex customers because they bought over embedded technology and novus has to do it as part of the deal with buying the talex hardware.

So unless another deal is reached there will be 2 database files as I was told today by both Talex and Novus...It just remains to see whos is best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure