Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They sell Hobgoblin and other bottled real ales. Which I will buy about four as using my £5 off £30 coupon as the nearest Aldi to me is closed for three days.

The car park to the closed Aldi is being resurfaced. Hopefully putting hatched lines on the areas where the idiots parked blocking other drivers.

I will only use that one if I walking home. But always the way I buy heavy items!

For example tomorrow, I am buying packs of passata, wine, beer, butternut squash and water softener tablets (if selling). All heavy stuff!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly, Aldi's own brand Assam tea bags are weak and a bit flavourless compared with Sainsbury's. Probably best avoided if you like your tea strong.
  • littlemissbossy
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Aldi Stollen bites - really nice.

I was expecting them to be sickly sweet, but they aren't. They are genuinely miniature stollens - lots of fruit and a pleasant marzipan element.

Oooh, I bought some of these this week, looking forward to trying them.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • System
    Options
    Just been to Aldi to use my £5 off £30 coupon. I was working it out in my head and got to the till and my shopping bill came to £29.80! Quickly picked up a beer! What had happened was I picked up a bag of salad leaves and changed them for another pack which I didn't know were 20p cheaper. I had the large Aldi bag plus two bags for life of shopping and there was beer, wine, veg, fruit, fish, nuts and the tomato bruscetta bites.

Have Aldi stopped doing their coffee granules refills? The only one I saw was Nescafe. I hate Nescafe as it tastes burnt. I bought their gold coffee in the jar. IICR, the refills were 20-30p cheaper than the jar.

Aldi need more small trolleys as they always run out. Mum calls the bad back trolleys! Because of this, people use bigger trolleys and will spend more as got more space to play with.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tinned mackerel appears to have disappeared again, at least it has for me!
    Stompa
  • tomtombeanie
    tomtombeanie Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have Aldi stopped doing their coffee granules refills? The only one I saw was Nescafe. I hate Nescafe as it tastes burnt. I bought their gold coffee in the jar. IICR, the refills were 20-30p cheaper than the jar.

I asked about this in store last week, as I normally buy the gold refill pack. It's definitely not being stocked at the moment, the staff member thought it would only be temporary though - maybe changing supplier or the packaging? I bought the gold jar one, too - but i think it's more like 70p dearer then the refills :(
    Mortgage free as of 11/11/15 !
    :Anow... to start some serious saving :A

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I asked here about the hair shampoo and conditioners the other week as I wanted to switch to an Aldi brand and was after a recommendation. As my hair is normal-ish, straight, but very fine and flyway I went for the Carino coconut shampoo and conditioner at 65p a throw for 400ml.
    I used it for the first time this morning and I'm really impressed. The shampoo is pleasantly scented, lathered nicely, I'd expected the conditioner to be a little thin, but it isn't. I had to squeeze the bottle to get it to come out. I left it on for a few minutes and it's given lovely results.
    Really impressed.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2014 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Aldi Stollen bites - really nice.

I was expecting them to be sickly sweet, but they aren't. They are genuinely miniature stollens - lots of fruit and a pleasant marzipan element.

Both Lidl's and Aldi stollen is really nice, the bites are more handy - especially if I go to my parents as they hate Stollen, so a giant bit of it is no good. However I love the stuff. However not touching it 'til at least mid-november.
    I asked here about the hair shampoo and conditioners the other week as I wanted to switch to an Aldi brand and was after a recommendation. As my hair is normal-ish, straight, but very fine and flyway I went for the Carino coconut shampoo and conditioner at 65p a throw for 400ml.
    I used it for the first time this morning and I'm really impressed. The shampoo is pleasantly scented, lathered nicely, I'd expected the conditioner to be a little thin, but it isn't. I had to squeeze the bottle to get it to come out. I left it on for a few minutes and it's given lovely results.
    Really impressed.

I like Aldi's toiletries over Lidl's (although the latter is still fairly decent). I seen the Carino stuff you are on about, it's effectively looks like Alberto Balsam, but AB conditioner is p1ss thin. The Aldi stuff is really good. I like tresemme, Aldi's own Carino version for 1l per bottle is £1.99. Really good.

I love all the shower gels too - Especially the men's stuff. 65p real bargain! (Although did moan last year when they went up for the first time in years from 59p!) Men's Lidl equivallent good too. :P

Probably in Aldi/Lidl the only thing they need to improve (albeit keep decently priced) is their handwash. Only have couple of different smells of their 59p stuff. Both shops mouthwash/toothpaste is good.

On another note - on the most part Aldi cleaning produce is better than Lidl.
    PK! :money:
  • System
    Options
    I asked about this in store last week, as I normally buy the gold refill pack. It's definitely not being stocked at the moment, the staff member thought it would only be temporary though - maybe changing supplier or the packaging? I bought the gold jar one, too - but i think it's more like 70p dearer then the refills :(

As much as 70p more? :eek:

Hopefully the refill pack I just opened up and the jar will last me until the refill pouches are back in. I live on my own.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Tinned mackerel appears to have disappeared again, at least it has for me!

yes, its gone again here too! we buy about four tins a week as the three grandgirls love their 'stinky fish' too! and the sardines just aint the same. hope they come back soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure