Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So so true I have been saying this for years now.

Really? Good Quality? mmmmm I don't think so at least not in any of my local Morrisons stores, any meat I buy from there arrives in a sweaty vac pack and is then cut up by one of the government slave apprentices and palmed off as being lovingly selected and cut by a professional butcher! And the fish, wow don't get me started, fresh fish should not have a fishy smell yet every time I go into any Morrisons as soon as you walk in the front door as all you can smell is rotting fish! If that is your idea of quality then.................

I completely agree about the fish though, in fairness, most supermarket fish is ancient by the time it reaches the store. However, I completely disagree about their meat. Compared with the offerings of all the majors, except Waitrose, Morrison's meat is very good for a supermarket.

I'm also not sure what is so specially 'sweaty' about Morrisons' vacuum packs, and suspect that was just added for dramatic effect.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So so true I have been saying this for years now.

Really? Good Quality? mmmmm I don't think so at least not in any of my local Morrisons stores, any meat I buy from there arrives in a sweaty vac pack and is then cut up by one of the government slave apprentices and palmed off as being lovingly selected and cut by a professional butcher! And the fish, wow don't get me started, fresh fish should not have a fishy smell yet every time I go into any Morrisons as soon as you walk in the front door as all you can smell is rotting fish! If that is your idea of quality then.................

Maybe that differs from store to store. The beef here has been treated like it should by proper butchers (hung) and not slaughtered and then packed and sold. T's steaks are like shoe leather so I'll never go there again. And for the fish, no issues here, maybe it's because we live near the coast.
    Back to Aldi's meat, no issues there either but I tend to go only for mince.
    I noticed that Lidl didn't have any free range chickens last time, just when we fancied one for the Sunday roast...I hope they'll come back in soon.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • sillyme673
    Options
    The chocolate chip brioche loaf from aldi is lovely. :j
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi Stollen bites - really nice.

I was expecting them to be sickly sweet, but they aren't. They are genuinely miniature stollens - lots of fruit and a pleasant marzipan element.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,610 Forumite
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    Back to Aldi's meat, no issues there either but I tend to go only for mince.
    I noticed that Lidl didn't have any free range chickens last time, just when we fancied one for the Sunday roast...I hope they'll come back in soon.

I don't solely buy Aldi's meat but I have tried much of it and been quite happy. They do FR chickens which are fine. I've also had chicken thighs (great in Lidl's too). I've tried pork shoulder joints and mince. Can't remember if I've had a beef joint. With beef I generally buy a large Irish joint from Asda or Sainsbury's (£6 per kg last week) and cut it up and freeze when I get it home.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Bought some garlic yesterday in Lidl..... Big single cloves about 1" across.....Basket of 10 for £1.49.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Expecting a vampire ? Well it is nearly halloween :D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I thought I'd try my hubby on the Aldi beer but not being a beer drinker myself could anyone tell me what I should be buying.

His preferences are John Smiths, Corona and Wychwood.
    Any help would be great.
    Aldi's ales are regional, up here we have Theakston's Old Peculier. But they are all top of the range, nothing will disappoint. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/ales-lager-and-cider/meet-some-of-our-breweries/
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I always use boxes, and have never been charged.

I thought that they scan a barcode on the bags to charge for them.

They do but might also be a code that can be entered for the bags.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    imho wrote: »
    The check out girl at my local Aldi told me that people come back in and want a refund from the 3p carrier bags they had bought but never used ! Unbelievable

Could just use them the next time they were in hence save even more money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure