Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sharond101 wrote: »
    I am giving up buying Aldi milk as in the past two weeks two lots have gone down the sink before the use by date. I am sure the tops aren't great quality and let air in and the milk goes sour. Also I love the funsize apples but this time there was a rotten one in the bag and the rest are really hard and tasteless. They had gone up in price too from 89p to 99p.

Also I have noticed with their milk sometimes it has a short date. For example, today (27th) may have milk in dated 31st.

Now with the supermarkets all now charging £1 for four pints, I go to Iceland or Sainsburys for milk and buy the one with the longest date. As I live alone, it needs 8 days or more as lasts me a week.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    In my local Lidl....15eggs for £1.25, probably in response to FF at £1.
    Same price in Aldi, and they also do 6 for 49p.
    Stompa
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our moggy who refuses most cat food other than Sheba wolfs Aldi's premium sachets of cat food as well as the boxes of biscuits and cat sticks.

My 23 year old cat too loves ~Aldi~ VitaKat premium (old age) sachets plus the dried food which has a nutrition profile matching the premium Pro Plan food I'm feeding her already.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also I have noticed with their milk sometimes it has a short date. For example, today (27th) may have milk in dated 31st.

Now with the supermarkets all now charging £1 for four pints, I go to Iceland or Sainsburys for milk and buy the one with the longest date. As I live alone, it needs 8 days or more as lasts me a week.

I think you have to be careful to pick up the one with the longest date but that's the same with all shops. I regularly do it with Aldi eggs.

I still buy my bread in Sainsbury's and every week sees me kneeling on the floor reaching to the back of the shelf for the longest date. Stock rotation means they put the short date ones easily to hand.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I think you have to be careful to pick up the one with the longest date but that's the same with all shops. I regularly do it with Aldi eggs.

I still buy my bread in Sainsbury's and every week sees me kneeling on the floor reaching to the back of the shelf for the longest date. Stock rotation means they put the short date ones easily to hand.

Its the 'sleep walker' shoppers that grab the first item. Saw a lady doing this with the tinned tuna. Asked her why. She wanted a better date. Looked at the dates - April 2018! :rotfl:
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My favourites from Lidl:

Saskia sparkling mineral water - sparkling water is the only soft drink we have at home, so we get through loads of it. Saskia is a good price, and stays fizzy to the end of the bottle, unlike some brands which seem to go flat pretty quickly. Bottles are also a good size and shape for the fridge.

The big brown loaves (possibly rye - not sure) sold in some stores with in-store bakeries - love these.

Raclette cheese - only available from time to time, but much cheaper than elsewhere.

Mushroom and truffle filled pasta - bought this recently, seemed to be from a "luxury" range I hadn't seen before. Very nice.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is the weird thing - I popped into tSainsbos on Sunday (25th) and 4 pints bottles of skimmed milk expired on 28th May, far too short dated for my purposes. I ended up buying 4 pints of full fat (exp 6th June) instead and will be diluting it down when I use it / simply use less in my tea and coffee. If there's any left over next week I shall make rice pudding.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried one of the glazed doughnuts from the Lidl instore bakery yesterday (I try not to get into the likes of cookies and donuts but needed a small bite! ) and what a pleasure to eat compared to T's stale rubber things....
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    I tried one of the glazed doughnuts from the Lidl instore bakery yesterday (I try not to get into the likes of cookies and donuts but needed a small bite! ) and what a pleasure to eat compared to T's stale rubber things....
    TMI, didn't need to know that but yet another reason to avoid their carb-fest bakery!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    TMI, didn't need to know that but yet another reason to avoid their carb-fest bakery!

I agree!:rotfl:

I hate it when people recommend things that sound yummy but would wreck my healthy eating plan.

I'm still recovering from 2 YS marzipan bars in Aldi this weekend. I knew I should have left them where they were.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure