Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought the bike sports tool bag. The tools are OK, but the tyre levers both snapped the first time I used them. I want to keep the bag, so have grinned and bore this, but the levers simply aren't fit for purpose.

On the other hand, I've been buying their 'Food Doctor' dried berry mix. IMHO, it's really nice.
  • sharond101
    sharond101 Posts: 833 Forumite
    Options
    I am giving up buying Aldi milk as in the past two weeks two lots have gone down the sink before the use by date. I am sure the tops aren't great quality and let air in and the milk goes sour. Also I love the funsize apples but this time there was a rotten one in the bag and the rest are really hard and tasteless. They had gone up in price too from 89p to 99p.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm stuggling with Aldi potatoes. They are tasteless.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    I'm stuggling with Aldi potatoes. They are tasteless.

Sorry to hear that but they have a whole range of potatoes. Which ones are you finding tasteless? Jersey Royals? Maris Piper? Red? Tinned?
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The Aldi Jersey Royals on this week's Super 6 were every bit as good as usual, doubt if it's those... 450g for 69p. Lovely.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Scritti
    Scritti Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sharond101 wrote: »
    I am sure the tops aren't great quality and let air in and the milk goes sour.

Hmm. You might be right. I had a half-used 4-pint bottle led down on my car seat and it leaked everywhere. Grrr.

The top was on tight and I couldn't see any evidence of leakage when I checked the bottle afterwards.

Never had this problem with any bottle from Lidl, Tesco et al. Won't risk it again. A rubbish top would explain it - as well as milk going off prematurely.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not sure how this has happened, but I have run out of Lidl Knightsbridge teabags! I bought 3 boxes not so long ago on a weekend 1/2 price offer as a trial, couldn't understand why someone had picked up an outer of them...I get it now :o

Waiting for the next offer. Back to my stash of Twinings for now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I risked buying the Aldi catfood pouches yesterday as on offer. So far the pickiest cat on the planet liked them. Good there are 5 variety boxes (meat and fish each for the elderlies or "normal" aged cat and something deluxe. Next time in I'll get 1 of each as she loves something different in her bowl all the time and there are only 2 different flavours in each box of 12 (not 3 or 4 choices as in branded boxes).
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • xnatillyx
    xnatillyx Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    I risked buying the Aldi catfood pouches yesterday as on offer. So far the pickiest cat on the planet liked them. Good there are 5 variety boxes (meat and fish each for the elderlies or "normal" aged cat and something deluxe. Next time in I'll get 1 of each as she loves something different in her bowl all the time and there are only 2 different flavours in each box of 12 (not 3 or 4 choices as in branded boxes).

Aldi are decent for cat food price wise and they don't look too bad.
    We bought a can from the co-op once when we ran out and it was all runny gravy. And for 10p more than a single aldi one.
    I don't normally buy pouches but sounds like they are decent.

Out cat doesn't like Felix , our other cat didn't like it either and she was black & white like the felix cat. Give them some cheap cat food they love it.
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
  • xnatillyx
    xnatillyx Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Scritti wrote: »
    Hmm. You might be right. I had a half-used 4-pint bottle led down on my car seat and it leaked everywhere. Grrr.

The top was on tight and I couldn't see any evidence of leakage when I checked the bottle afterwards.

Never had this problem with any bottle from Lidl, Tesco et al. Won't risk it again. A rubbish top would explain it - as well as milk going off prematurely.
    sharond101 wrote: »
    I am giving up buying Aldi milk as in the past two weeks two lots have gone down the sink before the use by date. I am sure the tops aren't great quality and let air in and the milk goes sour. Also I love the funsize apples but this time there was a rotten one in the bag and the rest are really hard and tasteless. They had gone up in price too from 89p to 99p.

We had a leaky milk a month or so back from aldi as well. And it went all over the bottom shelf of our fridge. (It was laid flat) Thank god i needed to go in there when i did it could have been worse.

Also not apples but 2 years ago we bought some potatoes from aldi and we only noticed when we got back they were already rotten and all the horrible rotting juices all in the bag. Straight in the bin.
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport