Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Aldi apples turn out to be unexpectedly good this season.
    I don"t know - there always seems to be a bruised one in the bags. I like their oranges though, come on super 6!

I've now found a local grocer that does the most beautiful Golden Delicious apples, and I am happy to stick with him for my apple requirements.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Tesco, vulnerable? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    As things stand now, yes. They can't compete with A & L on price, they've got thousands of square metres of store space more than they now need (given the impact of online shopping), it's a damaged brand, there's an unpopular new CEO, the staff are unhappy with recent changes, and they're losing sales fast.

Nobody would have considered Woolworth vulnerable once. :)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    But certainly times have changed from when Lidl opened in our wee Scottish town and they were kind of brushed off as "they won't do well, it's just for cheap milk and bread" as if they were no competition to T (which in turn has been getting everybody cross by NOT building the bigger store they promised 10 years ago but instead removing the fresh fish counter, the only thing that was interesting (???)).
    Funny you should say that. Much the same here.

Tesco shelved plans for a large new store, thinking the customers would keep on coming regardless. Then Aldi opened more or less next door and took away a lot of Tesco's trade. Tesco had a change of heart (heart/Tesco - I know they don't fit together :)) and rebuilt the store to try to get their customers back, but it's too late.

They now have a nice new store which cost a fortune to build, but the customers still go next door to Aldi. Why wouldn't they? It takes forever to get round Tesco, and your bill's 35% higher at the checkout! :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    ....scandals ranging ...low pay. They are quite a different story here

Is the pay the same? It could be that the pay is the same there and here, but there it's perceived as lower because they don't have a welfare state underpinning poor wages (WTC etc) so most employers pay more ... whereas here they're seen to be generous when, in fact, if welfare weren't underpinning low pay that'd be "the norm" for the tasks they undertake?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I see Lidl are doing Peppers 3 for 89p, so half price offer , this weekend, not so special at 27pence each.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I had a look at the Aldi German websites to see if things had changed.

It's a bit confusing, because there are two separate Aldi companies in Germany, Aldi Nord (which ran the Aldis I shopped at in my time there) and Aldi Sued, which is the German Aldi company that oversees 'our' Aldis. The Aldi's I knew traded as Aldi Markt and the logo is different.

The prices made me sniff - wine and beer at prices we can only dream of and probably very good quality too.

And they do Radler.... Anyway, I'm sure you all really wanted to knew that... !

Re the Aldi plants. Everything I have bought/been given this year, apart from a couple of herb pots is still going strong.

The baby chilli plants have grown into two giants bounding away, two doing okay-ish and two classed as failing to thrive - though conditions have been identical.

I bought one of the self watering herb pots when it was reduced from £7.99 to £3.99 and planted up with Aldi's ready-grown herbs it has worked really well.

Daily Telegraph article on Aldi expansion and success in the UK
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    I see Lidl are doing Peppers 3 for 89p, so half price offer , this weekend, not so special at 27pence each.

If you compare the size of the peppers, you will understand.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got back from my Aldi, Jersey Royals selling for 39p a bag. Reduced from the super 6 price of 59p.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Loose ones tend to be far better quality and size.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Yes well, perhaps, maybe, could be. I would need to measure lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family