🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH says the 3 blade razors are great from aldi. So wont be hard to spend the voucher.
    Normally struggle to spend £45. Well hope voucher is this Thursday.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that but they have a whole range of potatoes. Which ones are you finding tasteless? Jersey Royals? Maris Piper? Red? Tinned?

That will teach me to post and run.

Baking potatoes, white potatoes, Marie Piper. Havent tried the Jersey Royals or the red. Maybe i'll try them next week.

I don't usually buy tinned.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    That will teach me to post and run.

Baking potatoes, white potatoes, Marie Piper. Havent tried the Jersey Royals or the red. Maybe i'll try them next week.

I don't usually buy tinned.

I suppose it depends what you do with the potatoes. I've never noticed them being tasteless but then the only ones I ever eat plain are new potatoes and they've been fine. After that it's always chips, mash, wedges, jackets, dauphinoise, roast so always with some seasoning or something.

Tinned potatoes are my latest storecupboard stand by for an easy lunch. I either slice them for a Spanish omelette/frittata or just have them sliced and fried with a couple of eggs. At 15p a tin I'm delighted.
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Does anyone buy the strong white bread flour? I went in today and bought 4 packs at £0.75p each, I am sure they were only £0.45 a week or so ago! :mad:
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone buy the strong white bread flour? I went in today and bought 4 packs at £0.75p each, I am sure they were only £0.45 a week or so ago! :mad:

That must have been the plain flour. The strong white bread flour is 75p/1.5kg for ages in Lidl And I guess it's the same price in ALDI.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The white strong bread flour was one of the Mirror half price coupon offers some weeks ago, I stocked up with two bags then.
    It's been 75p for quite some time. It's also very good.
    The wholemeal bread flour is 99p and the plain/SR flours are 45p. Hope that helps.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 6 pack of Snackrite (or whatever they are called) salt your own crisps from Aldi were hit and miss. 2 had no salt sachets, 2 had salt sachets with about 3 grains of salt in and 2 had sachet with a reasonable amount. Not sure I'll bother with them again but obviously for anyone wanting very little salt they are a good buy.
  • Peggybabcot
    Peggybabcot Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our moggy who refuses most cat food other than Sheba wolfs Aldi's premium sachets of cat food as well as the boxes of biscuits and cat sticks.
    The Lacura deodorant which is in a similar can to Dove is 89p I think and lasts twice as long (as you don't need as much to be effective) and is a third of the price. Highly recommend it.
    The aerosol cream is excellent as are all the yoghurts we've tried. The tie handle sandwich bags are identical to others sold in the big four but again much cheaper.
    When we first started shopping at Aldi we managed to get only about. 50% of our shopping there but these days we rarely have to go elsewhere and other family members have said exactly the same. I can see a time in the not too distant future when we'll not be going anywhere near any of the other big supermarkets.
    Grocery challenge June 2016
    £500/£516.04
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £500/£503.73
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had been tempted by club card points and money off petrol at Tescos so I hadn't done a shop in lidl or aldi for a few weeks. Went to lidl on Saturday and once again I was amazed at their prices. Free range eggs 89p for 6. Salad bags at 79p. Cheese half the price of tesco. Loved the new chipstick crisps.
    I'm back to Lidl and Aldi. There's definite savings. Also because they don't stock loads of different things I'm not tempted to buy extras. I can meal plan, shop and cook.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    In my local Lidl....15eggs for £1.25, probably in response to FF at £1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport