We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Pregnancy Club 24

1…829830832834835…1444

Comments

  • emsbet
    emsbet Posts: 5,237 Forumite
    Having suffered from recurrent bouts of thrush a few years ago I'd say it's unlikely you'd have it with no symptoms.

    I'm still wearing underwired bras but have gone up 2 cup sizes so have bought some new ones.

    xx
    :A 09.06.11:A 07.10.11:A
    Gorgeous baby boy born 16.09.12 :happylove

    :kisses2:The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe :kisses2:

    Patience is a virtue I lack! :p
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I miss my underwire. Or more I miss my cleavage but the wires are so uncomfortable I had to give them up :(

    Argh so pooped tonight and hayfever driving me mad tonight. Night guys
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • emsbet
    emsbet Posts: 5,237 Forumite
    Night rj, hope you get a good night's sleep

    xx
    :A 09.06.11:A 07.10.11:A
    Gorgeous baby boy born 16.09.12 :happylove

    :kisses2:The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe :kisses2:

    Patience is a virtue I lack! :p
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    emsbet wrote: »
    Night rj, hope you get a good night's sleep

    xx

    Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Great thought emsbet. Chance would be a fine thing! I will go to bed. Sleep most of night but wake up so achy I will feel like I ain't slept :(
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Congrats Ginsvt (and I doubt I've spelt that right) - hope the long trudge through special-care isn't too long for you and you can get the cuddles asap! Hard as hell when you can't hold them.

    It is hard not be able to hold them, but I can't even describe how hard it is to leave the hospital without them! I was discharged last night, and my eyes are looking like the cross buns with swelling.

    Seems I have missed one quote, someone asked about Italian influence. Yes, OH is Italian. But it was me who chose Emilio. It was either Emilio or Emilia, but we couldn't agree on any boys names, so he became Emilio.
    MrsBryan wrote: »
    Congrats Gin, bet you are over the moon! If we were having a girl, we were going to call her Maya, LOVE that name! Out of interest, will it be pronounced MY-ah, or MAY-ah? Just because we preferred the pronounciaiton MAY-ah, but working with kids I've found that most are all pronounced MY-ah? Sorry to be weird just thought I'd ask!
    I'd certainly pronounce it My-ah (unless told otherwise). It's difficult giving a child a name that's usually pronounced one way but wanting it said another. She'll be forever saying 'It's May-ah, not My-ah' :D

    We are pronouncing it 'My-ah', as that is how it would be pronounced back home by my family and by his in Italy. OH decided that he misspelled the name, and it would be better Maja, as that how it would be in his and my languages really. But I don't really care. I think one thing that she will have to learn, that people will pronounce it in different ways and there is nothing to get hung up about. Even now in hospital, different nurses pronounce it different way and I am fine with that. My own name is pronounced here in so many different ways, that as long as it resembles something and I can recognise it, I don't care. It is not easy for people to deal with all those foreign names, is it?

    So here we go. I am back home, babies are in hospital and are going to stay there for a while. It was the hardest thing to leave them there and go home, but there was not going to be a different way. They will be staying for a god few weeks, I think they have a rule that the babies have to reach certain weight, which is 2500g, and yesterday Maya was 1680g (she lost quite a bit of weight since the birth) and Emilio 1880g. They both had to go under the lights for jaundice, then the lights were switched off and they were fine for a couple of days, then had to go back under. We are not concerned about this - they are premature, and they need to 'learn' lots of things still!

    We did have them out for cuddles, Emilio came out one evening on his own, and as soon as he was put on me he started looking for food, so had a go at breast. He didn't have a proper fed, but he loves holding onto breast, and don't try taking it away from him!

    Then next evening we had them both out together and held them both together for the first time ever. It was amazing. They seemed to like each other so much, that the monitors were showing the same heart beat and respiration for both of them! They had a nice sleep on me for a while. Over the next days they both had more goes at breast, and even thought they are born when these reflexes are not yet developed, they keep having a go, which is amazing. The only problem - my milk. I was set up with the pump, and unfortunately I was being 'put down the list' of importance, and only was finally shown how to connect it and use it the following morning 24 hours after giving birth. For the first two days the milk was basically nonexistent. I kept pumping, but there would only be a drop at each breast and wouldn't even reach the bottle. Things are slightly improving, and I am getting about 15ml now from both breast in one session. The only thing is that it is still not enough to fully feed the twins, as they are on two hourly feeds of 24ml and 25ml each. So they are given what I get and then supplemented by formula via the tube in their nose.

    I will write down the birth one of these 'milking' sessions, you will be bored to bits. And I will put more experiences from my hospital stay, but I better finish this post now, as it is already so long! So, I hope you don't mind if I just pop out of the blue once in a while and tell random things. Just scroll through my posts or put me on ignore list!

    Any news from Dashikii yet? I haven't managed to catch up with the 20 pages yet...
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • bellola
    bellola Posts: 840
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm worrying that I haven't had many movements since Friday. I'm 21+5, is it too early to worry about movements? Most movements I'm getting are higher than before so maybe baby's just moved? Or it's had a growth spurt and less room to thrash around.

    Aargh I hate all the worrying (I am a born worrier). I'm tempted to call MW this morning but don't want them thinking I'm an idiot!
  • happydays77_2
    happydays77_2 Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Gin - I don't think anyone would put you on the ignore list. I will read your posts no matter how long they are cos everything you say is valid.

    I am glad Emilio and Maya are doing well but i am sorry they were not able to come home with you. You seem a pragmatic lady and you understand why they are still in the hospital and so I think you will cope with this. I can't imagine how hard it is for you right now. Is your OH being supportive?

    Your two babies sound adorable and I'm so glad you were able to hold them both at the same time and they fell asleep on you. I look at my two boys with an 11 yr age gap and their bond is so strong, it must be unbreakable with twins as they have already spent so many months together.

    I'm sure you will be spending most of your time with them at the hospital but please make sure you also look after yourself. You will need all your energy when your babies come home. How are you feeling physically?

    Anyway, I'm rambling now so I'll stop. I hope Emilio and Maya continue to thrive and you get them home soon.

    X
    DS1 born June 2000
    Baby Boy due 17th April 2012
  • happydays77_2
    happydays77_2 Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Bellola - at your stage it's really common for movements to be irregular. I think it's at 28 weeks when they say you should be feeling something every day. Your uterus will also be much higher so could well be in a different place.
    However, always listen to your body and if you are really concerned then call your midwife. That's why they get a wage at the end if the month.
    X
    DS1 born June 2000
    Baby Boy due 17th April 2012
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks, happydays. OH is being supportive, he can't really do much to cheer me up, nothing can. I will get used to this new state of travelling between home and hospital. We will bed to workout how we dothis as well, as I think we will get parking for on car for free, but as we live half an hour from hospital and hospital is more o less on the way to/from work for OH (another 20-30 min), it sounds silly for me go home, for OH to go home from work, so the. We can take one car with us to go to the hospital. All these things millwork themselves out though.

    I have to be in hospital at about 11am this morning for the postnatal check - the midwife suggested that instead of the midwife coming out to see me at home, it might be more convenient for me to attend the clinic in the hospital. And she is right - I would hate sitting in the house and waiting for someone to see me, when I am hoping to get to the hospital.

    Oh, and the checks reminded me something I wanted to share. Maternity towels. Ihad some Boots ones and once isaw them cheaper at Mothercare bought two packs of those as well. While on delivery suite I was given the hospital ones, and actually helped my self to a couple when leaving the delivery suite to the maternity ward. So, the Mothercare ones are thick, etc, have wings, so fel safer, but think one reason why my stitches were hurting me so much are them! Yes, they are absorbent, but there is some dampness remaining, and it was making the stit he's more sore. Unfortunately, I have some 'external' ones, going sort of diagonally to one side of my bump, and there is nothin else I can do but sit on them. When towards the end of the first pack of Mothercare ones, decided to use the Boots ones for the daytime (as no wings) and the M ones for the night. And I was feeling so much better that day! The B ones felt softer and kinder, they also felt dry on the top. Could actually walk to the main hospital for a coffee with our only visitors on Sunday and back and still was ok. Another days just the walk from maternity ward to neonatal ward (which is directly upstairs, and I always used the lift) but the second half of the day was agony. Even the hospital ones were much nicer than M ones to my bottom...

    One night my painkillers were late, even with me going asking for them and I was in such a pain, that I had a proper crying and sobbing attack, and the midwife who was coming to sort out my medications for over an hour decided to become my 'best friend' chatting and asking about the babies when was sobbing full sound and just wanted together her out of my room. So - another tip. Even if you think you can cope with the pain for now, take the painkillers if they are offered, you have no idea when the next round comes. And knave never been keen on taking pills, with the worst headaches I often just use do bear them and so on, but this time, anything on offer when down my throat.

    The other item - hospital bath. I loved it. There was one just across the corridor from my room, and on Thursday I decided to try it out. The net thing my OH was told that want that bath. Ok, the bath of that size. I could literally float. Ok, but that is not what I was going to say. It is the Lavender Oil. Midwives have it in our hospital and can give you some for the bath, which you then add a little bit of milk to it so that it helps the oil 'to sink' instead of floating on top. And the lavender one is very soothing and knave to say,for a couple of hours after I couldn't even feel my stitches when walking around and sitting down. It was heaven. I am off to Boots before the hospital to get some maternity towels and Lavender oil. Our bath at home is nothing like the hospital one, but I am sure I am going to use it for its purpose these days.

    Ok, better get shower as the next milking session is in half an hour.

    I told you can talk for the nation - being in hospital for the full 7 days with no Internet access does strange things to you.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • Triangle
    Triangle Posts: 1,044
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gin it's so great to hear from you! We've all been wondering how you and the twins are getting on. Happy has expressed very nicely my thoughts too - please look after yourself and I hope those beautiful babies continue to do well so you'll all be home together soon. Please keep us updated xxx
    MFW!
    Started 1/12/22 - £196,000

    Saving targets 2023
    Mortgage Overpayment £0/£2000
    Bathroom £0/£2000
    Big Birthday Trip £0/£2000
    Long Term Saving Pot £0/£2000
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.