Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

Options

Comments

• computerfixer
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    You see that has made me think, got the huge ham one for 49p the other day and what do I do? Shove the whole lot in the freezer without so much as thinking to seperate them and portion it all off, now what?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Think best to separate out into usable portions unless you really think you could use a whole box in a day or thereabouts :)
  • computerfixer
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas what i could do with sliced packet ham? I keep finding it reduced for 30p but the use by date is the same day and it always states 'not suitable for freezing' keep thinking it's a bit of a waste as i usually find it's the last thing left on the shelf at 9pm and nobody is likely to buy it to eat at that time of night.

Th ham i got doesn't say suitable for freexing, though it doesnt' say not suitable for freezing lol.

It does have 20% added water so prob isnt ideal to freeze but will give it a go for the sake of 10p.

Never had problem freezing cooked meats before, well the ones from deli counter etc anyway or premium packaged meats, cant see why not freeze it unless it has previously been frozen.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Think best to separate out into usable portions unless you really think you could use a whole box in a day or thereabouts :)

No i couldn't but then thought ah ha I know when I cook Jamie Olivers pie he says to cook with off cuts like the bits and pieces you find in the deli counter of supermarkets, so could make masses of sandwiches and then use the rest for the pie, would have to invite the whole neighbourhood round for sarnies though:rotfl:
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • victory
    Options
    , cant see why not freeze it unless it has previously been frozen.

The other day at morries there were loads of 19p pies and cornish pastries, curry pies, pasties, from £1.75 seemed like a bargain, grabbed 3 then was told they could not be frozen because they already came into the store frozen (so much for freshly baked on the premises eh? :rotfl:) so ate them all well all the family were force fed them because they were a bargain, but next time has anyone re froze the frozen pasties, sausage rolls, etc and it has been ok?

What is an absolute no no to freeze?

I tried lettuce once absolute no:rotfl:
  • victory
    Options
    I froze double cream the other day because it was 9p and no one wanted it when I bought it so thought for 9p going to try and freeze it if it comes out a disaster no loss but was notgoing to throw it out, what and waste 9p? No way:D
  • computerfixer
    Options
    The other day at morries there were loads of 19p pies and cornish pastries, curry pies, pasties, from £1.75 seemed like a bargain, grabbed 3 then was told they could not be frozen because they already came into the store frozen (so much for freshly baked on the premises eh? :rotfl:) so ate them all well all the family were force fed them because they were a bargain, but next time has anyone re froze the frozen pasties, sausage rolls, etc and it has been ok?

What is an absolute no no to freeze?

I tried lettuce once absolute no:rotfl:

I only found this out from a friend who used to work in Morries, but he still happily ate the suasage rolls I had frozen then defrosted and ovened and have done same with pies and seems fine tbh.
  • computerfixer
    Options
    I froze double cream the other day because it was 9p and no one wanted it when I bought it so thought for 9p going to try and freeze it if it comes out a disaster no loss but was notgoing to throw it out, what and waste 9p? No way:D

You could always put the cream into a jar and shake it to make your own butter, need the butter to separate from the buttermilk then rinse it clear as its the buttermilk that would make it go off whereas butter would last ages and can be frozen.

You may find the cream wil have split when comes out freezer
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blimey how is it the 7th feb already!

Well done everyone on bargains.

Not been far this week only the spar.

every time I go in get 1-2things.

but been poor on meat latly.

went in this morning and they had more foxes triple pack biscuits in reduced to 50p fam must have been least 20 on the shelf. was on way to sw thourght come back later and buy some.

after school popped in and all biscuits gone still cant complain got weeks worth biscuits for £1 as payday not until next wed.

i had quick scan in morning really wasent expecting any thing but cant help look.

got pack chicken thighs reduced to £1
    whole chicken £1.38:) was sparrow size mind:rotfl:
    2packs mince £1 each but quite small so not that good a bargain-got 2.
    shock horror no bread products!
    bag red apples 54p.

family are bit fed up of sausages and mince dishes.
    so on lookout for poultry , beef and fish.

we also could do with ham
    out of yogurts
    low on cheese
    will need more milk tommorow

so might pop co-op tommorow and hope for best and maybe hit spar too.

Just a thourght ocuured to me.

lot of big 4getting valentines related meals if surplus might be reduced I guess how romantic!

maybe we should start the cheapest valentines day meal-all reduced of course!:D
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • victory
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    maybe we should start the cheapest valentines day meal-all reduced of course!:D

In morries they havethe meal deal for £10 and on the yellow stickers they had quite a lot of it (brought it in too early?) so I got two side orders instead of £2.49 they were 99p and the pork crackling in cider jus (sounds posh eh it is just belly pork with a apple sauce) £2.49 instead of £5.99 so yes Valentines day here we come.

I have the mash pot for 49p and the minted pea side order 99p and the pork £2.49, already ahve the wine from a sainsbury's glitch a while back now where their meal deal was a silly price on a glitch with the wine, so got loads of them and loads of wine, seemed wrong not to:rotfl: it was on the quick grabbit last year and don't drink that much:rotfl:

Freixenet is better than half price at morries for £5.99 that was flying off the shelve and the other day was surprise to see 4 packs of love hearts for only 60p in the valentines day aisle.

I have all sorts of starters little tapas for 49p or garlic bread 49p or mini spare ribs 49p all of that the main as above the wine or the champagine and the dessert seems morries have far too much of the luxury little one pots of sherry trifle, little cheesecakes etc that they end up selling for 49p, luxury choc mousse they had a mound of for 59p each rather than £1.60:eek: so desert should be very easy to cheaply come by.

Sainsbury do their profiteroles frozen for half price, I am sure there will be some strawberries and cream that will be pennies to pick up nearer the day.

Aldi is doing roses for £5 as is Asda, the other day I saw the fair trade ones from Mr T £15 originally down to £3.75 I still did not buy them because it would have been tooo early and my DS kept pointing out that they had turned from deep red to angry black:rotfl: so left them but would have been an impressive bunch of flowers but never would pay that price for them.

I am happy with my carnations from mr morries I got theo ther day for £1 in the still fresh bucket and they are still going strong:D

Fancy packaging has always driven me insane, when I took out the belly pork to put in freezer, had to, no room otherwise, the size of the packaging did not reflect the size of the actual meat inside and underneath the meat it had 3 yes 3 slices of what should be roast potatoes:rotfl: they dress everything up and atthe end of the day all you do is take it out of the packaging and eat it, so fancy it has to be to attract you to buy it in the first place yes, but fancy a waste and it makes them charge loads more for the priveledge of looking at a pretty box:D
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    Duff night for me last night - recently it been all reduced ready meals - I look at them and think even reduced they are more ££ than making form scratch - for 2 choc mouses at 50p each you could make a lovely hm mousse for the cost of 2 eggs at half a bar of choc and much nicer too.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport