Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

Options

Comments

• GarnetLady
    Options
    Been reading this thread since the beginning, so thought I should actually post, lol!

I'm very much of the mindset these days of not buying anything unless it's reduced or on offer (and a proper offer at that!)

Our local Asda and Tesco have had some fab yellow stickers lately. We now rarely pay more than 5p for fruit and veg in Asda, occasionally it's 10p and if we're lucky it's 2p! Last night got baby courgettes, chestnut mushrooms, romaine lettuce, half a cucumber and even 3 bunches of flowers for my mum. :) Also got blackberry pies and a small farmhouse loaf from the bakery. All for 5p each.

Meat is rarer in Asda, although have got lots of the counter fish reduced to 5 or 2p which we give to our parents (I'm veggie and DH doesn't eat fish).

Tesco can be good, but it's hit or miss. I did get £74 of food for £7.40 a while back though! The timing of their reductions is haphazard.

Morrisons is okay, again can be hit and miss and Sainsburys isn't that close, although DH pops in once a week after work. Their reduced veg usually lasts for ages, so good when we get it.

I have a huge chest freezer which is full to bursting, and when DH brought home 5 packs of trimmed leeks from Asda, (total cost - 10p) after I'd washed and chopped them and put them into bags they had to go in my parents freezer. :rotfl:
    :heart: Mummy to an amazing little girl :heart:
  • pinksk8
    pinksk8 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi!

Not had much luck with my usual tescos trip recently, but yesterday got some brilliant bargains Sains got their taste the difference Canadian cheese for £1 (was £4.25!!!!) plus loads of cheap meat and veg! Think the snow is gonna keep me out of action for today and its my b;day tomorrow!

Good Luck Guys
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    My current thinking is that I'll buy meat if its half price. We have quite a lot in the freezer but I like to keep a steady supply going in :D
    This week I got a free range chicken £6.36 down to £3 and rump steak £8.19 down to £4 on Monday, I also got 2 packets of parsnips and a pack of two romaine lettuces for 20p each. Wednesday I got spring onions and more lettuce also 20p. Then today we got some more rump steak from the butcher's counter at £7/kg down from £15. This is all at Sainsbugs. I've noticed that they're marking their meat down to half price reasonably early in the day and all the marked down fruit and veg get a final mark down early evening but they go very quickly.
    Gailey - I'll have to email you some:D
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 February 2012 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Cheltenhamgal - thanks for the tip on roasting new potatoes. Have been invited out for sunday lunch tomorrow that's if the snow is not too deep. Will try this out next Sunday. My new potatoes have started to sprout now! Welcome to this thread thrifty sister. I have only just started reading the old style money saving thread even though I have belonged to mse for a few years. There used to be too many bargains and glitches at tesco for me to keep up with all the other thread a few years ago. Now you have to adapt to the new climate. I have found looking for yellow stickers is more fun than cashing coupons in tesco but I must admit I miss the deals on h and b. I have not had any luck this week and lucky I have a big store cupboard and freezer full of whoopsies. I agree with gaily you have to think outside the box and you'll be surprised where some bargains turn up! I think with the weather the way it is at the moment is making people panic buy hence no many yellow stickers round my way. Still my budget for food this week is tiny! Bit more to save for other things. Still have lots of christmas food as well including reduced christmas cake! One of my longest threads - sorry to waffle on. I too love it when I think people are like me and love a yellow sticker.
  • Thrifty_Sister
    Options
    matty17r wrote: »
    Cheltenhamgal - thanks for the tip on roasting new potatoes. Have been invited out for sunday lunch tomorrow that's if the snow is not too deep. Will try this out next Sunday. My new potatoes have started to sprout now! Welcome to this thread thrifty sister. I have only just started reading the old style money saving thread even though I have belonged to mse for a few years. There used to be too many bargains and glitches at tesco for me to keep up with all the other thread a few years ago. Now you have to adapt to the new climate. I have found looking for yellow stickers is more fun than cashing coupons in tesco but I must admit I miss the deals on h and b. I have not had any luck this week and lucky I have a big store cupboard and freezer full of whoopsies. I agree with gaily you have to think outside the box and you'll be surprised where some bargains turn up! I think with the weather the way it is at the moment is making people panic buy hence no many yellow stickers round my way. Still my budget for food this week is tiny! Bit more to save for other things. Still have lots of christmas food as well including reduced christmas cake! One of my longest threads - sorry to waffle on. I too love it when I think people are like me and love a yellow sticker.

Thank you for the welcome Matty - you peeps on here are great!

Like you I am/was an avid moc fan but like you rightly say, you have to change tactics to try to keep ahead.

I am in awe (bows) of some of you and the bargains you have picked up. Spent yesterday reading back (when kids/visitors allowed) and am totally inspired by your efforts. Gave myself a much needed talking to and renewd enthusiam to try to be more resourceful.:T:T
  • ss3n08
    ss3n08 Posts: 908 Forumite
    Options
    Yippee, just got back from co-op and got a shoulder of lamb down to £1.72 and a joint of pork down to £1.60. Also managed to get a fillet steak for 95p. They currently have an offer where you buy a pack of jacket potatoes (75p) and get coleslaw for free but this also works on the reduced jacket potatoes so I managed to get 4 potatoes for 18p and a free pack of coleslaw.
  • blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    I did my usual Sunday trip to Sainsbugs for stuff for breakfast club at school and timed it just right. I got two packets of TtheD sausages and two packets of free range chicken thigh fillets for half price and then found loads on the fruit and veg. Sweetcorn, gem lettuce, melons, plums, clementines, bananas, figs, lemons, chicory and blueberries all 20p each. I got two or three of most things as I'll take half in to work for one of my friends who is really struggling. She's what they call a 'cover supervisor' so does nearly the job of a teacher for a third of the pay and has three teenagers at home.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• pinksk8
    pinksk8 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did my usual Sunday trip to Sainsbugs for stuff for breakfast club at school and timed it just right. I got two packets of TtheD sausages and two packets of free range chicken thigh fillets for half price and then found loads on the fruit and veg. Sweetcorn, gem lettuce, melons, plums, clementines, bananas, figs, lemons, chicory and blueberries all 20p each. I got two or three of most things as I'll take half in to work for one of my friends who is really struggling. She's what they call a 'cover supervisor' so does nearly the job of a teacher for a third of the pay and has three teenagers at home.

Unlike the powers that be, at least you are looking after those who work hard in this climate!:)

I find more and more people in the supermarket, going for the bargains and I find my fridge and freezer stocked with things I couldnt normally afford and I think that goes for most people in this country at the moment. I would never ever pay almost £5 for cheese and dont know anyone who could afford that, the supermarkets seem to be hiking prices so far!
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • mumof30_3
    Options
    Loving this thread :j Must show it to DH when he gets back from his trip with work. He nearly had heart failure the other night as we came out of Morrisons and had not bought anything with a yellow sticker(totally unheard of in my family). Even my 8 year old hangs around the reduced bread products waiting for the lady to reduce his "bread products", he normally get a load of things for 9p each. LOL
    My best buy was 1 of those huge chocolate and cream cakes that sell for about £3/£4 got it for 85p, put it in the freezer and defrosted it a week later, was delicious. My bil ate it, but never told him it cost me 85p and was defrosted otherwise he would not have eaten it. :rotfl::rotfl:

Maureen
  • GarnetLady
    Options
    Went into Asda tonight and timed it brilliantly for reductions (which makes a change as we never normally get anything at the weekends). :)

Fruit and veg was already done and got -

2x ham and egg salads - 10p each
    4x fruit bags - 3p each
    1 pack oyster mushrooms - 5p

Then the guy was taking the meat and meals stuff away to reduce in batches, so kept an eye out and got -

Family size mince and veg pie - 40p
    2 packs of cheese and onion crispbakes - 20p each
    2 Extra Special roasted veg and pesto pizzas - 20p each
    12 pack of sausage rolls - 30p
    3 packs Extra Special cold meat (chicken and 2 ham) - 40p each
    3 packs turkey sausages - 50p each
    Takeaway sweet and sour chicken - 40p
    Cooked chicken kebabs - 20p
    3x Feasters chicken burgers - 20p each
    4 minted lamb burgers - 40p
    2x cheese and onion pasties - 10p each

Then just as we got to the bakery, a trolley load was wheeled out so from there -

2 onion baguettes - 29p
    2 packs cheese scones - 6p each
    Apple turnovers - 10p
    Strawberry cupcakes - 12p

So a really good trip, and we shared it out with my mum and dad. :)
    :heart: Mummy to an amazing little girl :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport