We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

Options

Comments

• blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    Gaily
    I find my local Sainsburys does good markdowns somewhere between 5.30pm and 8pm, they close at 10. It seems to be dependent on who is on duty. If I see the staff starting to take the already reduced fruit and veg off the shelves I normally do a few laps of the shop till they start putting them out. They stick them all in one section then and it seems to be 20p for everything. You do need to be there when they start putting them out or shortly thereafter as they go very fast. Sometimes if they have loads of one thing and its later in the evening they'll even hit 10p Two weeks ago I got bags full for me and two friends at work for a few quid but since then I've been too early again.
    The meat tends to go down at about the same time usually to half price or even less.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• abitofhelp
    Options
    Hi, i'm new on this forum, i've been lurking for a while. really enjoy reading this thread, i always like to have a look at the yellow stickers. i tend to go sunday morning shopping so i dont normally get much in the way of reduced items but i always look. last night whilst reading this thread my partner announced he was popping to asd* so i insisted on going with him. the fresh stuf was dire & i dont think they had reduced much. £1 for a pack of sausages, i want them for 10p. however the bread isle each for 10p i got 2 french sticks 2 packs of rolls and a pack of 2 pizza bases. i was so exited i skipped out with my purchases:) i am working till 9 this coming saturday so i may well pop to tesc*, enjoy your day.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gaily
    I find my local Sainsburys does good markdowns somewhere between 5.30pm and 8pm, they close at 10. It seems to be dependent on who is on duty. If I see the staff starting to take the already reduced fruit and veg off the shelves I normally do a few laps of the shop till they start putting them out. They stick them all in one section then and it seems to be 20p for everything. You do need to be there when they start putting them out or shortly thereafter as they go very fast. Sometimes if they have loads of one thing and its later in the evening they'll even hit 10p Two weeks ago I got bags full for me and two friends at work for a few quid but since then I've been too early again.
    The meat tends to go down at about the same time usually to half price or even less.

I have been in at 6 and not seen good reductions

you think its between 8-10maybe and that I ned to loiter round supermarket for an hour waiting to pounce?

whats this about free milk skint mum? never seen these vouchers.
    sometimes wish we had a cow as 4pints a day is mad.

thinking of hitting spar today as out butter.
    goiung round cornershop and negocating more out of date crips.

cant do co-op as not got eneough cash .
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    Gailey
    It seems to be earlier than 8 in my local but I think it depends. I've learnt to read the signs.The staff will start going around with a scanner and checking the price labels and tidying things up. If I see that I know its about an hour till they start the last markdowns so I might go off and do something else. When they've done that they collect all the items already marked down on the shelves in a trolley and then start marking down to 20p. If I see them putting things in the trolley I hang about. I go to the shops most days for school so its not a special trip but it means I know most of the staff, if I see one particular man doing the checking I give up because he takes hours but one of the other men is usually about 30 min from start to finish.
    Yes, I probably do need to get out more :o
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2012 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Well went to waitrose last night 6pm hoping to get my free milk but all gone. Can't have free milk and combine it with late reductions! Managed to get 3 wholemeal loves very cheap and some lovely quiche and sliced beef off the deli counter with 75 per cent off. Do not usually like supermarkets quiches but the one of the counter is delicious (better if its mega reduced). Took op's advice on here and then went on to local co-op. This was about 6.15 and sa just beginning to mark down all bakery things to good prices. Got custard doughnuts (never had these before), lovely crusty rolls(sains and tesco do not reduce theirs anymore) and lots of cookies for 35p a pack. Well I have been eating healthily all week so time for a treat! Really liked the custard donuts by the way. So co-op is another sm to add to my list when on my hunt for yellow(orange) By the way skintmum 12 the other mse introduced to me when she knew I was going to the scanning machine!
    labels. Enjoy your whoopsies. They always seem to taste better to me than full priced food!
  • Celia
    Celia Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I am vegetarian so sometimes limited on what I can buy in the reduced section. However, having discovered I can freeze tubs of hoummous - I always buy it when reduced as I use it to add extra flavour and texture to the soupy stews I make- makes it yummy and an extra source of protein too.
    Got a sweet pepper one and a caramelised onion one today from Mr T- 18p each normal price £1.20 :-)
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Options
    Well been a hectic day doing the whoopsie hunt

started in spar as we ran out of butter and they had some reduced.

sadly no reduced butter or on offer butter so ended up getting 250g for £1.32:(
    but my haul did inlclude

reduced lettuce to 65p think was over a quid

2 mini strawberry trifles unsure full price maybe 70p to 38 p brought 2 as treats for hubby/eldest.
    reduced triple pack foxes cream collection was £1 now 50p -clearance and sadly last one as been buying 2 a week recently as cheaper than value which is 45p a pack.

pancakes-35reduced from 70 but no elusive crumpets and running low only got 3packs pancakes in freezer!

choc bar reduced 70 to 30p-my little treat.

milk shake on offer 85p reduced to 46p so brought 1 for girls to share.

im sure I forgot something as spent £5.50.

Then went to local corner shop in search of more out of date reduced crisps spotted random box at till thursday made mental note to go back.

But raj wasent there but his brother was. couldent see the crisps so asked if he had any left as spotted them thursday his brother said no but has other out of date stuff.

4 6packs of breakaway choc biscuits. They were flashmarked at £1 a pack and few weeks out of date.
    i said how much he said 4 for £2 . i did my best poker/carboot haggling face paused and said I tell you what I give you a pound to which he said yes! so reductions by barter! Got 24bars for £1 perfect for lunch boxes and we have enough biccies until payday on 15th.
    Will try catch raj in week see if he has any other goodies for me and say im open to potential 1st look bargains.

was so exited some things cheaper in corner shop than sainsburys which seems wrong.

lunch today was nearly all reduced bargains.

reduced cocktail sausages-25p#
    reduced eggs 93 p pack of 9 one fried egg each
    chips on offer
    reduced rolls -9p for 4pack from morrisons so with reduced goodies worked out 30 p per portion :)

Then more bargain hunting

went nearest tesco express.

Omg reductions were rubbish 20-30p at most.
    was on hunt for 49 p alpen and 49p veggie sausages but no luck.

did get some tomatoes as they looked nice £1
    reduced 2pint organic milk 49p.

The spar had about 20 1pints reduced from 49p to 27p.
    But thats not good value as works out 90p for 3pints when can get 4pintsn in date from lidls for £1.
    cheapest seen it knocked down by is 14p-sending hubby round in min as if 14p will ask him to get 10 pints for £1.40! Then freeze as reckon could snow and we always get through milk and having stockpile of bread and milk makes me feel secure.

My final trip sadly was big sainsburys.

they no longer seem to have designated produce reduction crate just random items on top of chillers with not much off.

seemed busy maybe more people on reduced hunt too.

went to chiled reductions was combination of stuff with not much off and lots of fish from fresh counter with no sticker on but todays date There was a lady floating about with trolly asked her she said not my department looked at me like crap and walked off.

took some seabass to fishcounter and picked one yesterdays date . thourght as favour he might reduce down packet said 7quid fullprice he said yes will get knocked down later think mines 11-5 i said shame as wont be in later and would have brought now.

What they did have there wasent much which made me wonder

maybe they got their forcasts right and theres not much surplus to reduce?

maybe they know even with tiny bit off people see yellow label and buy anyway as reduced becoming far more competative and busy than it used to be.

or my saisnburys is forever rubbish and tolerate high wastage ist one of their highest turnover stores in bristol and homeshop hub maybe better to try another branch in future me thinks.

brought reduced croissents £1 down to 49p treat with lidls jam
    brought reduced mini rolls as eldest prefers them 39p so not huge reduction.-brought 2
    might go back next sunday and stock up for eldests party as need least 40 individual rolls.

brought mostly value which gone up loads
    spent £6.66 blimey no of the devil!

will be hitting usual haunts of spar and co-op in hope finding reduced produce and reduced meat/fish as meal planned upto 14th and we have few days hubby be unhappy with so needs to find something.

Also hv coming see baby tuesday morning miss usual sw group.

But they have one thur night 2nd feb near morrisions.

will change in policy mean end of night reductions be poor if there are any?
    could really do with some 9p reductions and 19p readymeals again as we so skint until payday.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • spike2012
    spike2012 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Have read through this thread with great delight, and have today bought 5 hovis breads for 10p each from local co-op at 3.30
    Theres a voucher in the coupon section i believe: £1 off persil, and 75p off comfort pure. I used the persil voucher today to bring a 28 wash bottle down to £2.19!!
    Baby daughter born 13.2.10 :j 6lb 11.5oz
  • pinkpauline34
    Options
    matty17r wrote: »
    Haven't been very lucky with yellow stickers this week. Very little on the fruit and veg shelf in tesco today. What's there is very overpriced in the first place. Pinkpauline - did you new potatoes roast well? Last time I tried roasting new ones they weren't as good as when I roast old ones. Tried sainsbury and waitrose earlier on weds and absolutely nothing there. Perhaps next week I will be lucky. Did meet another mse though looking at the christmas reductions like me hoping for some 1p items but no luck.

Hi all - Matty17r, was very disappointed in my new potatoes, I found they were very dry and tasteless so won't be doing that again. Glad they didn't cost me too much though!

I took all you lovely people's advice and nipped into Mr M's about 7.30 last night and came across some lovely delights, 50p for chicken strips (which will be lovely in my stir fry tomorrow night), 29p whipping cream which hubby is currently whipping to go on top of my apple crumble (reduced bramley apples and reduced crumble topping, obviously!), mini pork pies for 29p, mackerel for 69p and a lovely chilli beef stir fry creation for 69p. I am now banned from shopping for the rest of the month as I cannot physically cram anything further into my freezer.

Love hearing about all the bargains but I might find I'm getting withdrawal symptoms after a couple of days.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2012 at 7:40PM
    Options
    flippin36 wrote: »
    victory - you've worried me about Morries. Thats where I find the best bargains by us, its so near as well I don't feel I'm spending much in petrol either. Did they say they are stopping the silly prices altogether or just for lunchtime?

well what my morries local here to me said was that just before xmas and this Jan nearly over now, so for 5 weeks they have been putting out the yellow stickers at 12/12.30 lunch timethey never normally do that and have only done it for the 5 week xmas over stretch.

What the SA intends to do is cut all the lunchtime stickers out, go back to late afternoon and try her hardest to get all items taken off the shelf completely that obviously do not sell and end up in the yellow sticker silly price aisle, she said even with the reductions Morries expect to make a % and the prices were beyond silly (19p for chicken that type of thing) and Morries were having meeting to stop that happening.

In the last couple of days there has been reductions but literally 50p off and they just lurk there, loads of people go over and look but do not buy, if push comes to shove then they reduce properly or put it out back and the SA help themselves.

While I was there she put 2/3 things in her bin, saying that they could have been tampered with or were dropped on the floor and she was not going to reduce them, just haul them, what a waste, an absolutely travesty.

So, I don't know if Morries nationwide are clamping down on the reductions and would rather give it to the SA than loose vast % but ours is no more lunchtime silly prices and back to afternoon the odd 50p off so on that knowledge I went to Mr T, it was very much disorganized chaos...

It seems my Mr T does not do it in one go, does higgle di pickledy here and there, bits and bobs, the odd thing that does not marry up to anything, I had my curry night thanks to Morries and was going to have a spanish night so was lucky...

They had spanish tapas 3 for £6 or 5 for £9 going at 50p each so got 4 and the laugh was at the till it took off £3.50 for the deal:rotfl: paying me now to take it away, I got some naan bread 20p, raspberry individual trifles 40p from £2, cod and chips £4:eek: to 65p, two cornish pasties 11p from £1 and scotch eggs 20p were £1, I thought that was that got it all, had been to MOrries and got paella for £1.99 instead of £5 and seafood marinara £1.99 instead of £5 I have olives and will get some french stick and laughing for the spanish evening..

Went to leave, saw out of the corner of my eye the SA coming back with about 6 plastic trays in his hands, as fast as I could get my trolley to go back down the aisle a lady from nowhere, came, swept them all up and walked off:rotfl: turns out they were all chicken pieces, she had the lot, loads of yellow sticker hunters wait ages for the meat to come and swoop and take, I have noticed a lot of that.

THis reduction is a challenge, fastest wins:rotfl:

I have also rarely seen any major reductions at M&S even when it is near closing, they just do not have the daft prices at my one, the over stock of the daily sandwiches yes that goes to 50p etc but not the dinners, meats etc never seen them other than the odd £1 off here and there.

Sainsburys I have never come out of there laden down either, the odd £ off on their currys but nothing if you missed it you would be disappointed over not getting no.
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport