PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning early birds, and hey wake up, it's a beautiful morning! to others :D

B - wm roll, rf spread, teasp marmalade
    D & T unsure as I'm out for the day
    S - ?
    E - none physical but does having a stressy day count? Visiting DM which involves 3 Mways followed by country roads/lanes her end. I only get to see her once a month but also have to leave her at a reasonable time at this time of year as I don't enjoy driving in the dark. Sadly the older she gets (91, though I know I've said that before:o) the more aggressive she gets so I have to practice the Serenity Prayer all day!

Have a hap-hap-happy day! :D
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Sparrer have a safe trip x

I read that stress increases your heart rate and so you burn more calories.... so you should be a few pounds lighter by the time you get home :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all. Nothing like reading a diet book to renew your motivation temporarily! Currently reading 'Living Low Carb' for some hints and tips... decided I may have been embracing fat a little too much and I definitely need to go back to drinking more water. So my challenge for this week is more water (I had been doing really well on this a few months ago). So, I started the day with a cup of tea and a bottle of water and am half way through second bottle (500ml).

Need to meal plan better and eat more veg (more fibre definitely required).

Need to cut down a little on the fat and up the proten, may start using MFP again to measure protein intake to see if I get up to the target 1g per kilo I weigh (which leads me to, how many kg do I weigh?) or 1/2g per pound (maths time!).

This week I need to go back to Drs about my thyroid as DH says I have been awful the last few weeks (it gives me BAD moods!) so I need more meds/different meds (I wonder if they will give me Armour thyroid if I ask?) - just hoping they won't decide I am actually depressed and try to give me anti-d's as it's not clinical depression it's purely caused by my thyroid - I know that.

I feel SOOOO much better when I exercise, but I have had some kind of mental block with exercise the past few months and done none at all (apart from one run which was great). I cancelled my swim membership as I can't get there any mroe (I need my evenings to study) so I will have to get back on the 'exercise video' wagon. Just need the motivation for that....

Today's biggest challenge is to NOT have ANY MORE of the lovely blackberry crumble I made yesterday. Usually I would have some for breakfast and more again later, but I know where that leads, so I AM GOING TO RESIST! May have to take it somewhere else (relative's house?) as DH is unlikely to eat much more and the children weren't ever so keen.

Sorry for the essay, been thinking a lot the last few days and need to trap it down somewhere!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning Folks

Ouch, ouch, ouch…… :eek: muscles rebelling a bit after my workout yesterday so just doing a bit of stretching and some crunches/Abs work this morning, may try a walk later to try and stretch out the thigh and glut muscles – no pain no gain……right!!.....have to try something to stop my rear end sliding down the backs of my legs :rotfl:

Daska, I have been using the Laughing Cow light as a spread – each triangle = 25kcal with 1.2g fat so not that fat-free but there is an extra light version of it, think it’s about 0.6g fat – haven’t tried Quark so don’t know how it compares for taste.

Todays menu =
    B – Toast, spreading cheese, cucumber & tomato
    L – Crab Salad
    D – Roast Chicken, broccoli, hg :T courgettes & green beans (success at last thanks to my neighbours looking after them while I was away)
    S = loads of fruit available if needed.
  • WelshWoofer
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    Happy to report a good weight or today, broke the 80 Kg mark, am 79.6 Kg so feeling very happy. A fair amount still to go but am going in the right direction. :-)

Yeah!!! :j Well done! Its a fab feeling when you go to the next "number down" isn't it?
    ragz wrote: »

Today's biggest challenge is to NOT have ANY MORE of the lovely blackberry crumble I made yesterday. Usually I would have some for breakfast and more again later, but I know where that leads, so I AM GOING TO RESIST! May have to take it somewhere else (relative's house?) as DH is unlikely to eat much more and the children weren't ever so keen.

Oh bum! You just reminded me that there's loads of blackberries in the freezer and crumble is my all time ever favourite dessert:p Hope the thyroid thing gets sorted out for you. xx

Just forced myself out for a run for the first time in what feels like ages (in reality about 10 days). The first 2 mins were hard but after that it was ok and I found my "groove". Glad I went now but running into the wind was quite hard.

I'm another with a bit of renewed motivation today - the past week has been a bit wobbly foodwise and I can see some bad habits threatening to creep back in so time to knock them on the head. I've just woken up in a better frame of mind today, no idea why. Might be hormonal (due today/tomorrow) as I always feel better when the action starts (so to speak!).

Right, I'm a smelly sweaty mess and so better get in the shower and then sit down for a few hours schoolwork. Will walk the dog again later this afternoon, hopefully the rain won't be too bad.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    can anyone suggest something nicer than quark that's as fat free as possible?

daska just watched Jamie Oliver 30 min meal programme and thought of you.... how about cottage cheese? He dressed it with salt, pepper, thyme and lemon zest and served it with beetroot

I'm another with a bit of renewed motivation today

Oh dear, perhaps its just me struggling today then :o its cold and dark and I'm still in my pj's :o .... but there was a glimmer of brightness in the sky a few minutes ago so maybe the sun will come through. Am going to get in the shower and force my bum to go for a walk !!!
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • I weighed myself this morning, and even with all the running around I've been doing for my Mum [we have had a lot to sort out the last month, so I have literally been running around like mad, stressing out] and also the walking to and from work, and at work I'm also doing stairs a bit and standing a lot....

.....but I havent shifted anything weight wise! I think it might be down to carbs, but I could really use some advice. I looked at some of the meal plans from the links on the first page......but its just so much reading I just dont know where to start. Could anyone help me please? x
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Ladies, I can't keep it a secret any more. I'm sorry, but I've been re-united with my dearest bread-maker after all these months apart. It's love. We're planning on running away and growing old and buttery together. I just don't know why I ever let it get away!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you WelshWoofer and well done for your loss too!

Sparrer wishing you a safe trip and a bearable encounter with your DM. I recently had a non-mentioned fallout with mine, 80 years old - meaning that she is pretending that all is well when she KNOWS it is NOT and I might never go back to see her again! Very sad when we want to love our mums no matter what and they just don't know how to love us back.

Ragz if you want to read something about low-carb that is fun, interesting, sensible and well-written, I cannot recommend enough Neris and India Idiot-Proof Diet, it is so well written because India Knight is a professional writer and the stuff is really sensible but written in such an entertaining way that even if you did not follow her plan it reads really easily! You can find it on Amazon for 1p plus P&P
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0141027436/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1349013993&sr=8-1&condition=used

Am not being so low-carb strict at the moment as due to the cold I am not in charge of cooking so I am accepting gratefully what I am given. Yesterday it was eggs for breakfast (OK), ploughman lunch (out) for lunch (OK) but dinner was a barley, lentil and veg soup that my DD made and because I was still feeling under the weather I just ate it, not too much damage as it was not sugary or bready, so I had it and was grateful that I did not have to cook.

Today food:

Brunch: parma ham, cheese and crustless ham quiche (which on reading contents revealed itself to be CARB SUICIDE, it contained more carb than the veggie spinach and mushrooms one, which had crust - go figure. Will have to make up at dinner)
    Dinner: smoked haddock, steamed cauliflower, baked squash, salad. Snacks: nuts, maybe a bit of yogurt.
    Exercise: still a bit under the weather so nothing
    FORGOT THE VITAMINS! Going to take them now.
    Water: not enough, but lots of hot tea, makes me feel a lot better.

Have a good evening all.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daska wrote: »

can anyone suggest something nicer than quark that's as fat free as possible?

You can make your own skimmed milk cheese/paneer, by warming up skimmed milk and adding liquid rennet, then straining the curds and use them as you would normal fresh cheese. Add salt and/or spices to taste. There are plenty of recipes on homemade cheese around, probably some here on OS too!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure