PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Monsternextdoor
    Options
    valerie57 wrote: »
    Hi all I have been reading through this thread and am inspired to start getting rid of some of my clutter. I would like to try and list some stuff on ebay but I can't work out how you know how much postage to charge. How do you regular ebayers do it? Many thanks.

I tend to look at what other sellers are charging tbh but you must remember its not just the postage and packaging that is involved add a small mark up for your time as well as its not just as simple as chucking it in the postbox, its the faff around packing labeling, travelling there etc.

Altho it is fab when it all goes I have alot of stuff that I need to get on in the next few days :) Good luck !!!
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Hello more newbies! Hello everyone :j
    Great advice mineallmine, and you're doing so brilliantly with your target, well done!
    Thanks! Been doing it in chunks. Hope you feel more inspired soon. Have you seen that Secret Agent programme on Channel 4 (on 4OD no doubt)? That might help inspire some action for your move. You've done so much decluttering over the last year or so you're probably already ahead of the game.
    :j
    281. Cookbook (CS)
    282. Magazine (friend)

I'm determined to concentrate only on certain rooms at the moment. Otherwise you can flit about too much and not make visible progress.

Bit more to do in the lounge, then back to the kitchen. There's still too much out on the surfaces. :o
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • valerie57
    Options
    Thank you Greengoblin and Monsternextdoor. Fab posts and really helpful. No more excuses - it is time to list some stuff.
  • fpcat
    fpcat Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I struggled to get everything I possibly could to the car this morning for my CS trip. I support Barnardos and the shop is 10 miles away, and really can't accept big donations of stuff on Tuesday and Wednesday, so today was the only day this week I could go. I managed to load the car between the showers, everything from the spare room in it plus a box of CD's. I make that 26 + 1, and the man power washing the wall at the CS helped the manager and me to carry everything from about 100 yards away to the shop. Why is there never a space anywhere near when you have tons of stuff?
    I'm working on the bedroom at the moment, and hope to get everything stored before I go on holiday Friday. I so don't want to come back to a mess!
    Night all, keep the trash bags near and soldier on on Tuesday.
    :eek:Someone has written in the dust on my radio:eek: I can see it from here... guess I'll have to take the subtle hint and clean up in here too.:rotfl:
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I'm still decluttering but many "sticking points" either due to me or awaiting action elsewhere. Anyway, thanks for your "encouragement" Lilyplonk as at times the facets of decluttering are difficult.

To add to the 180:-

Food ingredients/recipes x 6 (i.e. trying to use up)
    Recycling x 2
    Rubbish x 1
    Big general tidy up last Sunday x 1
    Obsolete grinder top x 1
    Waterlogged grit from last winter x 1
    Toiletry item x 1
    Lighters x 2
    Last of garden flowers from windowsill x 1
    Reluctant attendance at health appointments x 2
    Computer bookmarks deleted x 17
    Tool box items used for bicycle x 3
    Using parts from old bicycle for other x 1 (i.e. eventually frame to dispose of)

= 219. Hope to go out soon, otherwise "must" start tackling more clutter in order to use time usefully.
  • fitnessfreak74
    Options

I'm determined to concentrate only on certain rooms at the moment. Otherwise you can flit about too much and not make visible progress.

This is exactly how I feel and what I think is happening to me. I think I will make the kitchen the target for the next couple of weeks/ weekends.
  • fitnessfreak74
    Options
    Going to the post office at lunchtime to get all the ebay stuff off. annoyingly one person still hasn't paid so it means I will have to find the time and I don't know when to go back just for that one thing. So annoying, there's always one late payer. :mad: I might just do the postage for that one online and risk sending it without proof of delivery as cannot face going back this week plus won't have the time.

I think I will have to book a couple of days off maybe in January to blitz the loft but at the moment I am concentrating on the main living areas. For before Christmas my target is going to be the kitchen and making up my target of 50 books out, no getting sidetracked.
  • museumworker
    Options
    Wow, going great guns guys! Stuck my head in the room of doom (our office) and gave myself 10 minutes to fling:

178-187. 10 items of ood beauty products - bin
    188-189. 2 small perfumes - charity
    190-192. 3 completed notebooks from work - recycled (never read them anyway!)
    193. Old AA mag of OH - recycled
    194. 2 claim forms for R0yal mail - recycling, the date to claim by is long gone!

The stuff in there is up to my waist, it is so overwhelming! But figure if I give it 5 minutes at a time, I WILL get there eventually!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel and what I think is happening to me. I think I will make the kitchen the target for the next couple of weeks/ weekends.
    Good plan. Go for it :T

283. Cake making stuff (CS)
    284. Glass container (recycled)

Dropped off the charity bags on my way to somewhere else today. Glad to see the back of them.

Feeling tired today but did some sorting on the kitchen surfaces. Getting there :j
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • ostrichnomore_2
    Options
    top drawer of doom in dressing table
    11 - threw out a few random notes and receipts
    12 - threw out some old makeup
    13 - threw out single earring
    14 - this years valentines card which i scrawled some rather rude comments on and dumped on ex's bed!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]I am a long term poster using an alter ego for debts and anything where I might mention relationship problems or ex. I hope you understand :o
    LBM 08/03/11. Debts Family member [STRIKE]£1600[/STRIKE], HMRC NI £324.AA [STRIKE]137.45[/STRIKE]. Halifax credit card (debt sold to Arrow Global)[STRIKE]673.49[/STRIKE]Mystery CCJ £252 Santander overdraft £[STRIKE]239[/STRIKE] £0 .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport