PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Monsternextdoor
    Options
    Afternoon everyone :)

Haven't been around for a few days had a sick bubba and been having a clear out so so far got rid of
    Undercounter freezer
    Old wicker chair
    Corner shelving unit
    Train table
    Happy caterpiller rocking thingy
    Some of moo's clothes
    Some gift sets that I have made up ready for selling

And im starting again today as I have more stuff to do, Got someome coming to pick up more gift sets and have wrapping stuff coming to make up some more so I can declutter those as well.

Have a good day decluttering !!!
  • fitnessfreak74
    Options
    Afternoon all

Welcome to all newbies and well done everyone.

Well ebay proved to be a slight disappointment. out of 17 items listed less than half sold :( so have relisted along with 4 additional items. I finally caved and put the Michael Kors iphone cover on ebay. i set the price quite high at £35 as won't accept any less for it given it is worth £75.

I responded to a freecycler who was looking for Moroccan style things for a themed party they were having so offered my tagine which they promptly collected on Saturday. Once again listed the PS1 dance mat on the London freecycle group and a lady responded and would like it so hopefully will be rid soon. have been trying to get shot of it for months!

Had a slight flinging frenzy on saturday morning and half filled a CS bag with clothes. My wardrobe is slowly on its way to only containing clothes that I actually like to wear and feel good about. I also took a good hard look at the bookshelves and selected 6 to go to the CS. so total of 50 out by end of 2012 is now 13. Still some way to go. I also binned 3 folders of stuff from courses I did at my last job over 5 years ago. realistically if I ever need the info I can go online. So there is now a lovely space where they used to be. :T

p.s. Sarah, I'd be delighted to send you the DS charger. It's for the original one not the 3DS. :)
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I have spent some time this morning reading this thread and feel really inspired. There is so much stuff to decluttering in my house I don't know where to start. One of the things I'm struggling with is getting rid of the old baby stuff. He is 18 months old now and I still have ALL his clothes from birth. I do try to get rid of them but it makes me cry. I have turned into the worlds biggest, emotional softie since having him.

So any enough waffling, can I join in? I thought perhaps I could start with the bathroom which shouldn't be too painful then move onto the kitchen.

One challenge I want to set myself is to throw out 5 bits of useless paperwork a day.

Have a tidy day.....ha ha says me:rotfl:
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all newbies. Glad to see you here. We're all in this together. No need to beat yourself up about clutter, much better to think what can I do now, today, this week? When you watch an advert think what can I do during these few minutes.

I've cleared the bedroom floor, apart from hubby's bits which he'll sort through. I also did another critical look at clothes. So stuff that has a bad memory or just doesn't feel right goes.

262. Hair stuff used up
    263. Bag (friend)
    264. Brush..... (friend)
    265. Eye gel stuff (friend)
    266. Brooch (CS)
    267. Bracelet (CS)
    268. Bag (CS)
    269. Calendar (CS)
    270. Another brush....... (friend)
    271. Magazine (recycled)
    272. Brochure (recycled)
    273. Compact (CS)
    274. Purse (CS)
    275. Old container
    276. Odd shoe
    277. Top (CS)
    278. Top (CS)
    279. Packaging
    280. Bag

So good to see the bedroom floor mainly clear. I think to keep things clutter free it's definitely about having less stuff as well as good storage.

I'd like to start fly lady soon but will only start in the spring once I've given all rooms a declutter. As I can only do so much at a time. :o
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Monsternextdoor
    Options
    Ahhh old shoes gone, some more stuff to go on buy and sell sites as well in the few hours after I've posted now trying to get in the garage and get rid of some more stuff before I drag out the Christmas tree, Im going whole hog this year as I cant wait to see my LO's face when she sees a huge tree and lots of deccis

Found some baskets that I will use for hampers for presents and some new terracotta pots that I'm gonna decoupage for my new house (very sad I know !

Feel better getting rid of stuff its strangely liberating lol
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Day one - it begins in earnest. I have loaded the car ready to take to charity shop tomorrow morning.

1. 2 dining chairs, 1 occasional chair
    2. 2 bags
    3. electric firelighting kit
    4. outside Christmas tree with lights
    5. 3 x chandeliers
    6. pottery christmas tree
    7. metal candle holder ornament

So that's 11 items in total. Feels better already:D
  • suzeesu2000
    Options
    welldone everyone, lovely to see our new peeps flinging with gusto :rotfl:

Only a few bits more from me but, as we always say, one out is better than anything in! I shall own up here to having a new set of pans coming tomorrow so I shall be sending some of mine off to the charity shop. Have to keep one for wax melting - good job I can make candles, we keep having power cuts, like being back in Victorian England! :rotfl:

135 - 1 bottle massage oil - c/s
    136 - 1 CD - c/s
    137 - 1 bookmark - c/s
    138/141 - 4 dishclothes - c/s
    142/143 - 2 teatowels - c/s
    144/145 - 2 big sheets of cardboard - recycling
    146 - bag of mixed rubbish - bin

Also decluttered about a foot of dust off the sitting room furniture :eek: my mother would have been appalled :rotfl:rejigged the contents of the wall unit and looks lovely again. Did one load of laundry washed & dried and all put away now have another wash on the go ready to dry in the morning. Boy I am on a roll - it wont last!!:rotfl::rotfl:

have a great evening all :)
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • loopychriss
    Options
    Going to have a relaxing day in tomorrow, hopefully sewing some more bags for an event on Saturday, and tidying up a little. Going to tackle a big pile of papers that I've been [STRIKE]nagging[/STRIKE] encouraging hubby to look through and sort for over a week now. If you want a job doing..... etc. etc.

Well..... they are still sitting in a pile waiting for him to sort through, so I suppose I'll have to get on and do it myself!

Been no progress here over the weekend: I have been very stressed lately so haven't spent much time doing things around the house, been trying to relax and unwind. Not easy when I have so much to do and a house that won't sell, and trying to keep it clean and tidy. Also trying to organise 65th wedding anniversary party for mum and dad, and Christmas! The housework has slipped a bit these last couple of weeks so I don't really want any more viewers until I've tackled it.

Hello all newbies. Glad to see you here. We're all in this together. No need to beat yourself up about clutter, much better to think what can I do now, today, this week? When you watch an advert think what can I do during these few minutes.
    Great advice mineallmine, and you're doing so brilliantly with your target, well done!

A few things I left off the list in my last posting:

148. Dried up slice of ham found in back of fridge - food digester
    149. Wilted celery - compost bin
    150. Bits of manky cauliflower found in fridge - compost bin
    151. 2 pieces of week-old chicken that had been left in fridge - food digester
    152. Old roast potatoes found in fridge - birdtable
    153. Coriander plant used for soup - compost bin
    154-157. Slimming World hi fi bars, out of date - bin
    158. Lots more fabric used up making morsbags

Hoping to get some motivation back this week for tidying and cleaning. Not much left to declutter, but I'll go through it all again and see if there's anything that I missed last time that we haven't used.

Keep at it everyone... it's nearly December, time for the Christmas decs to go up!!!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• valerie57
    Options
    Hi all I have been reading through this thread and am inspired to start getting rid of some of my clutter. I would like to try and list some stuff on ebay but I can't work out how you know how much postage to charge. How do you regular ebayers do it? Many thanks.
  • greengoblin
    greengoblin Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2012 at 10:22PM
    Options
    valerie57 wrote: »
    Hi all I have been reading through this thread and am inspired to start getting rid of some of my clutter. I would like to try and list some stuff on ebay but I can't work out how you know how much postage to charge. How do you regular ebayers do it? Many thanks.

Hi Valerie. I weigh the items on my kitchen scales then use the royal mail postage finder website to work out the price. :)
    http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder it should walk you through the details it needs (remember for e-bay you need to put 3 postage options in so write down 1st and 2nd class!)
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

:starmod:Recycle ALL the things!:starmod: :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business