PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Butterscotch-
    Options
    SavingJane wrote: »
    Hi ALL

I started reading this topic then got caught in another, shall catch up later........the 100 things to get rid of in Jan sounds just the thing I need (can work with other things i'm doing so will help overall)

I have so much STUFF that needs to go lol

On the topic of paper work, a question......how long should we keep info for, i.e bank accounts, tax stuff, wage slips.....i've got loads really would love to get rid of some of it but scared in case might need it....thanks

Jane

I asked the same recently and was told 6 years.
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi can I join too pls?

I've been following the thread for a few days but have had problems logging in. Finally sorted now, so here I am! Yesterday, DH and I managed to clean through the whole house and pack away Christmas decs and put away to the loft. I think he is feeling guilty that he's going away for a few days with the boys and leaving me at home with the kids! We decluttered a few broken decorations to the bin. Managed to pack it all away using one less box than it came down in as it was packed much better this time around.

I did quite well last year and am slowly but surely decluttering away via ebay. I find I have bursts of enthusiasm for it though so will do loads one month, then non the next!
    I have a really busy few weeks coming up as I have busy periods both the voluntary roles that I have coming up. DH and I are also going away towards the end of the month (a DH work thing) so need to make sure the house is up together for when inlaws (very clean tidy people!) come to looks after the kiddies.

I have a goal of saving £3000.00 this year. We have very little room for maneuver in our budget so if I'm to achieve this, there will need to be a lot of ebaying going on, and not the buying sort.
    This month, my main aim is to keep the house clean and tidy, just ticking over. Blitz the ironing pile into oblivion ( there are shorts in there which I know we haven't worn since October). Keep ebaying. Declutter the contents of the chest freezer and use up all the tins of bits and pieces from the larder that have been there too long.
    I will aim to declutter 30 items via ebay. I think this is doable even though we will be away some of it, but will need to keep on task. I have 4 on there selling already but I will only count them when they are bought and paid for.

I really need to sort out my wardrobe as have so much in there I'm struggling to put away clean clothes. I don;'t want to take anything out until I have ebayed my current pile or we'll just end up with more clutter in the house! In order to do this though, I need to get a full length mirror as I don;t have one at the mo which makes it difficult to choose what stays and what goes!
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I asked the same recently and was told 6 years.

Thanks, havnt had time to fully catch up on topic, thought someone would of asked.....6yrs WOW thats a lot of paperwork to store :eek:
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2012 at 5:34PM
    Options
    PudseyDB wrote: »
    If its a freecycle group that you're having problems with - check if there's a freegle group in your area. theyre basically the same - except freecycle is now administered by staff from USA and has LOADS of rules that must be abided by!

For this reason, a lot of members left our local freecycle group and joined the newly created freegle group instead. There are still rules, but much more friendly.

I too got rudely told off on freecycle for forgetting a postcode/area in the title!! Which was stupid because it was a children's story disk and I said I'd post it to whoever wanted it! Luckily I was able to post again with the details included.

And to get replies before your posts had appeared on the site!! heck that's most suspicious - sounds like the mods were helping themselves to the good stuff!!

It was my own fault with the post code, I know that, I only use the network from time to time as I don't like the platform. I understand that the mods are volunteers, but a friendly reminder would have taken the same amount of time to write as the message I got and would have made me feel less like a ticked off child. I'd only used the village boards before since I moved up here rather than the city one and they were way more friendly.

The nice thing about the village group was it was so much smaller so you never had to wade through as much! I will not be posting again on the city area site. I will look up to see if we have a local freegle as an alternative - thank you. A lady from our local scrap store did contact me as well, so I will push things in that direction as well as an alternative.

The person that came to collect last nights item was lovely though - I really hope they can make use of it; we simply couldn't put the thing together (it was a shower enclosure and it defeated us!!).

Edited to add: Oohh oh a challenge! please may you add me - current score is 6 (a computer game, a shower quadrant, evil evil aduki beans (don't ask!), museli from 2006 (I know, I know), a knackered pair of sandals and a dead pot plant (OH was insisting it would grow back, I disagree and he's in Frankfurt :rotfl:).

Freecycled stuff not collected yet, will add if it actually gets out the door. Ebay stuff not finished yet, so doesn't count yet as it is still here too!
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Butterscotch-
    Options
    SavingJane wrote: »
    Thanks, havnt had time to fully catch up on topic, thought someone would of asked.....6yrs WOW thats a lot of paperwork to store :eek:

Oh, I didn't mean I asked on here. I asked on Facebook. Not sure if that's the correct amount of time so maybe someone else will come along and say otherwise. Considering most of my bills etc have been online for the last couple of years it's not that much actual paper. My problem is the 10 years before that!
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    It's not too much paperwork for me as such, more old wage slips, I've only been living away from home 18months so not as much there, I guess gas/phone bills them types can all be thrown as not much use are they I guess it's more official gov stuff that needs to be kept
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    I like to keep 1 year worth of bills and throw out one as I file one

I say 'I like' because I don't always stick to it!!!
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    7! i've just used one of the nasty shower gels to clean the loo with and chucked the bottle out. The downside is that my bathroom now smells like a tarty handbag.

Ho hum :rotfl:
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • aligerdie
    aligerdie Posts: 576 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2012 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Progress has been slow today as DS2 was up all night with a stomach bug. I'm so tired :(

However, I'd love to join in the 100 items in January challenge - would it be ok to add me to the list? I need the incentive, I'm determined to get sorted this year.

I've got rid of quite a few things today, but there's more to go - so I'll post my chucked items later if ok. :)
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Three more boxes of stock priced and ready to go. Christmas wrapping paper , rubbish and cardboard to the tip. Four things sold on Ebay,
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family