PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Few small spends over last 3 days.
    £1.58 on Friday (Bread in garage, only a pound in Aldi but hadn't realised needed)
    £2 on Sat for Milk
    And today was a NSD.

Think I finally have Dh trained. Having roast chicken tonight for dinner and he said why dont we make curry with leftovers tomorrow. I was planning this anyway but for him to think of leftovers is a major breakthrough.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • redkids1972
    Options
    Hi all
    starting my Feb challenge and seem to have spent loads:-(
    total is £92.41 and Feb not even started yet. I tried to use up vouchers and fill my freezer so hopefully will even out over the month. To come in on budget I have £35 a week for fresh stuff. This is doable with some forward planning so will post regularly to keep me on target. Think Ill head over to the the voucher board to see whats available to help the situation.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • aneres
    aneres Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please can I join? First month doing a food budget and I've allowed £173 for the month.

Sorry I couldn't work out how to put the number larger.
  • wear280902
    Options
    Hubby did the shopping this w/e as I worked O/T for both days and wanted to spend some time playing with the kids and cooking plus baking. I have just raided the receipts from his wallet. To find out it is a five week month has been heart wrenching as I have not had a whole month yet getting used to budgeting , meal planning and finding enough time to batch cook. Plus I seem to be the only one starting from nearly an empty freezer and Fridge. AARRRGHHHH!!!!!

Ald* £9.88 - this included veg and fruit for the week, sugar, spaghetti, Pasta and some chocolate butter biscuits for him and the kids whilst I am at work.

Mr S's £30ish according to him (?) will have to check exact amount when I return home but this includes 5 packs of his oat granola at £1.89 each and 4 packs of butter/spread as I never buy this as very rarely use this. Plus his soup for week, rolls and a loaf of fresh bread and butter. Four packs of soap he has sensitive skin so will only buy certain brand and is fed up of us running out. Pack lunch items for DS for week to include ham, wrap and a treat bar ( need to start cooking these).

So got to be creative with rest of meals for the week and really try to plan ahead so neither of us pops into express stores for rush shops which always used to be a spend of £12 each time where we would always end up buying additional treats.
    Extra Payment a Week Challenge: (joined 15.01.12) This week £27.34 /Total so far £42.34
    Pay off as much as i can in 2012: £222.34 / 5000
    FEB GC 11/200.
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I gave up going to the hairdressers a year ago and have been dying my own grey hair at home using things that tell me "you're worth it" since. (saves me about £50 every 6 weeks)

With renewed January MSE vigour I decided to save myself a further £2 a time and try Ald* own brand (begins with a C) and today was the day....

It worked beautifully! (I look gorgeous :D) I shall be using it again. :T

Thought I better tell you were worried that it made your hair fall out..... mines still intact!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:(so far - will keep you posted)

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday.

x
    Thanks for the post - I have been having my hair bleached blonde for a year now and have decided to go dark again due to the cost( and also age:o)
    Unfortunately I am now a good mixture of very grey at front and salt and pepper at back but have decided to keep getting the blonde cut out and then will start dyeing it myself.
    Only hope I can hold out - I think its's going to be a bit of a patchwork for quite a few months yet:rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I can't find a February thread so can I register on this one? It's my first grocery challenge and my target is £120 for February. I won't be spending anything until Saturday though.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't thank me, Thank DH. I was sitting there with a calculator plugging in numbers, doing sums in my head and scribbling things down and he asked me what I was doing and said wait a minute, give me that receipt. Click, click, click. How many sheets on the toilet paper. What was that? This? The other? Can you go onto Tesco and check the prices for me. Click, click, click. Et voila! It was all done in half an hour and all I need to do is update it as I go.

Do Costco have a proper website with all their prices on? Or do they just send you special deals by email? Next shop we will pro ally concentrate on meat. But I need to get another freezer as I don't have enough space :D

thanks to mr tigerfeet ;)

costco do have a website but theres nowt on it :rotfl:
    i just get a booklet every so often with the offers , it would be great if they listed all their stuff , because its such a big place you cant possibly check alll the prices
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2012 at 10:07PM
    Options
    To anyone who is facing redundancy i would stock up on tinned and dried food. My Oh lost his job and we didn't receive any benefits for months with only ctc and child benefit to sustain us, it was a very dire situation to be in. The rent we paid from this and bills. You don't need loads just enough to know you'll be fine for a month. You don't need to spend £20 extra a week, £2 will do.

Don't bother with cleaning stuff and toilet roll, you can get that cheap anytime. Just get the basics in.

Well i over spent this month as i went and got tinned food as we had literally ran out of everything from toms to beans, my boys actually asked for beans on toast but had none. Spent £45.16 in Mr S's, uk disc and Mr T's. I now have fullish cupboards!
    Didn't bother getting the M&S meal deal as the chickens were tiny. Normally the small chickens are quite big and above the £6 mark but these had no meat on them.

So as of today the balance is: £220.16 so £20.16 over.

Oh well February is almost here for a new month and time to bake things ready for snips 8th birthday. How time flies.

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've used a few more bits from stores, so my GC budget is now on £102.25, leaving £6.25 for the next 2 days..... as long as I leave my 'home shop' treats alone I should come in under budget, but may possibly go on a Whoopsie hunt tomorrow so won't be declaring until after stores close on Tuesday ;)
    Cheryl
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,008 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another NSD for me.
    Here is a photo of tonight's dinner - Roast Pork/Roast Potatoes/Roast Parsnip/Cabbage/Onion/Swede/Garlic and Gravy.

6784445211_4fb2cde9bb.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 132/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £23.52/£100 NSD - 94
    2024 Craft Makes - 229 Craft Spends 2024 £344.41/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts