PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Just in to update my sig, spent another £5.17 on some veg and treated myself to a Gammon Joint from Lid!, was yummy and enough leftover for salads and various other dishes over this and next week.

Expect to have NSD's today & tomorrow so declaring an underspend of £11.96 for January :j:j
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Winchelsea, hugs and prayers
    xxx
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm not declaring for this month as it has not been at all typical. As some of you may know, my DH Bill died of bronchopneumonia on 7th January. Our fantastic family and I are beginning to get back to normal a bit now, but as you can imagine, spending has been all over the place.

So I'll be back on track for February.

Well done everyone else on January efforts.

Oh Winchelsea, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have a fantastic family around you as their love and care will help you I'm sure.

You're in my thoughts,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Feb thread is up and running here.

See you all tonight,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • jedi82
    jedi82 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am declaring £376.91 for January. £26.71 over budget but I am happy with that for my first month.

Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I lost track so must do better next month! Definately went over budget as have dental problems and have had to buy lots of soft food! :(
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning

I am declaring my January grocery spends at £189.43 ( £10.57 under budget:j:j:j)
    Also my cubboards and freezer are also full to bursting which means I won't need to shop for a couple of weeks (apart from fruit and veg)
    Well done to everyone joining in, keeping food costs down is difficult at the moment while making sure you and yours eat well and stay well.
    Anyway I better get on
    Have a good day everyone and an even better February
    Cuddles:)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • mummyjane
    Options
    Winchelsea - I am so sorry for your loss, it must be a great comfort to you to have your family around you at this very sad time. Hugs and prayers xx

I haven't been able to do any shopping for a week or so as I am recovering from an op. Dh has bought odd bits for me, amazingly we have kept under budget for this month! I have even managed to persuade him to let me budget for his cigarettes and booze to try and cut down on them too :)

It means I have a huge budget to manage from next month (£550 :eek:) I am hoping that this will mean we save at least £100 a month possibly more. We finished paying for our loan this month it feels as though we are really getting there now, such a good feeling :j

I hope everyone has had a successful month :)
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • Kylieminoag
    Options
    Spiggle wrote: »
    The Feb thread is up and running here.

See you all tonight,
    Spigs

I am itching to go and use the shiny new thread:j:j.... (and the shiny new budget:rotfl:) but darent until January is absolutely over, finshed with, caput! My February budget was already going to be a challenge - and then last night BIL announced he was coming to stay for a fortnight (so thats 5 adults instead of 4 on £200:eek:)
    Todays job is to inventory the freezer to see how many meals I can get out of it without spending! Then I might nip to Ald* to see if I can stock up a bit more from January underspend....

Had a really nasty shock yesterday - did my tax return on line and discovered that my employer hasnt deducted enough tax.... I owe them over a thousand pounds! :eek::eek::eek:I'm really cross with employer but more cross with myself for not noticing they had been using the wrong tax code for over a year!:mad: Thats my rainy day pot of savings all gone (and some!) and I really dont know how I'm going to build up another one.... all hopes on the sealed pot challenge now!

Ah well - back to counting.... 3 pots of HM broccoli soup....
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm declaring my January total as £376.98 so under budget (just). I've had shopping come today so divided the amount in 7 and then x by 3 for January and x by 4 for February so am starting February already. I knew those Maths lessons would come in useful!!!

Winchelsea, I am so sorry to hear about your DH. So glad you have a wonderful family around so you can all help each other through this time.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport