PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks sistercas-i know you are right as i was spending about £400 a month (if not more) before i started the GC every month.

I just cant seem to resist going to the supermarket some days, even when i dont actually need anything!!
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    Options
    A few bits got on Thursday which was £20 ish and I 'bought' some beans and coffee from my garage 'shop'. Might be going out today to have a small spend at Ald! But don't really need anything......off to update sig and work out meal plan for next week x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Brassic_Park
    Options
    Declaring £321 for Jan, £21 over.

Had my last Mr T shop of Jan this morn and can't say I was too impressed. The driver had broken our eggs, and someone else's cream, which had gone all over our shopping and he just left me to clean the mess up.
    Future hopes, dreams & emergencies fund: £4,000
    No. Internet. Shopping.
  • tracey12_2
    Options
    there's a good chance I may be made redundant in a couple of months:( (if I do survive it is an almost certainty it will happen within a few months).

This has, naturally, put me into panic mode - esp being single, there's no one else to fall back on.

Looking at it from a worst case point of view, I'm wondering if I should build stocks as much as poss just now - with the hope that if it does happen, I'll have food / household cleaning stuff / toiletries etc to tide me over a few months so I've only the mortgage/other bills to worry about ..... but it'll blow the budget altogether (but would hopefully be recouped later in the year as I won't need to buy stuff then and could life off the stocks I've built up)...... but again, I'd probably still want to hold reasonable stocks for the inevitable early next year.

I know how it feels when you have no-one to fall back on and it is scary. I am a single mum to 2 dd's and get very little financial help from their dad.

I would stock up on non-persihables as well.

Went to Mr T today for milk, bread, minced beef, garlic bread, mushrooms, pears, cucumber, butter and some other bits and bobs so an extra £32.82 to add. I'm still under budget as the moment but won't declare until Tues.

I have got a job interview tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Had my last Mr T shop of Jan this morn and can't say I was too impressed. The driver had broken our eggs, and someone else's cream, which had gone all over our shopping and he just left me to clean the mess up.

if u ring them up theyll refund ur eggs... and complain (tell them which items) were covered in cream and that u ad to clean it up with no help or concern from the driver... u may get an evoucher towards ur next shop... i once complained about a woman bein rude when delivering my shoppin and also swearing when i had my daughter there and i got a £10 voucher from them!
  • MumOf2Beasties
    Options
    Received my very first approved food order on friday, very very inpressed:j

Was happy at the prices when i ordered, and i must say that the delivery was well worth it! I had an email to say it was with the courier, and then another on friday morning to give me an hour time slot for delivery, and guess what, it was delivered in that hour:T

Well packaged and none of my poppadoms or lasagne sheets were broken, no squished cakes or broken biscuits:T

So basically I will definately use them again!!

Only £1.57 of the order has been added to this month as i only have untill the 31st, have added most to feb and whatever is left will be added to march. Sig updated, that may be it for the month but i know i will need bread tomorrow!

Having a lot of trouble keeping up with all your posts, going to go back a few pages and i'm afraid i will have to leave it at that!

Nice to see so many starting the new year with good money saving intentions, keep it up;)
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of £250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I hope you complained :mad:
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tracey12 wrote: »
    I know how it feels when you have no-one to fall back on and it is scary. I am a single mum to 2 dd's and get very little financial help from their dad.

I would stock up on non-persihables as well.

Went to Mr T today for milk, bread, minced beef, garlic bread, mushrooms, pears, cucumber, butter and some other bits and bobs so an extra £32.82 to add. I'm still under budget as the moment but won't declare until Tues.

I have got a job interview tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

Tracey

Wishing you good luck for the job interview will cross my fingers for you too.

I have added a£14 spend for yesterday on Asda whoopsies. Itwas incredible good luck, everything was halfprice and while I was looking a young man cameup and said hang on love I am marking it all down again to half price so I told him it was already at half price he said Yes but the Manager has told me to halve it again.

So £14 for £56 worth of meat. I have enough now for February and March. and still have £24 in my budget.
    Slimming World at target
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A couple of spends to report. £49.03 at tesc@ and £6.54 at Asd@ total of £56.57 Shouldn't need too much more this week mostly milk and bread so hopefully a good start to the month (I'm on feb ):)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself! I've just finished my January challenge, and I have come under by £1.06!!!! Total spends for Jan were £88.94! Go me, go me, go me...!!

I have always found it so hard to stick to a budget, and give up part way through the month,, but this year is the year I improve my life. I don't need to spend so much, and shopping doesn't need to be the cause of stress that it sometimes becomes. I still have a ridiculous stockpile, but I'm gradually getting there - it's smaller than it was this time last month.

I've upped my budget for Feb (already posted as £100), because I may need loo rolls by the end of the month. I've already spent £34.37 of this though, as the children's snack box needed filling up, and I bulk bought some beans and other bits. I've made myself a list of what I'm now allowed to stock up on, and the maximum stock I will allow myself to hold, so beans were ok to buy as I didn't have many in and we use quite a few in the course of things.

Good luck with redundancies, job interviews, and misbehaving derrieres!! Hope everything turns out ok for you all.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family