PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,041 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    i love that you post pics of your meals , they look fab and its inspirational , i hope you keep posting pics and anyone else too , it would be great to see :T

do you think you could post up other stuff that worked out cheaper than mr T ? I have already decided to get the toothpaste and kitchen roll when i next go - thanks
    I am going away on Thursday so no dinner photos until Monday. I am staying with a friend while Mr F stays at home with the dog - you wouldn't want to see what he prepares for dinners while I am away! :o He always rings me after he has eaten and I ask him what he had for dinner. My friend and I am often nauseated at the food combinations he has for dinner! There are home cooked meals in the freezer!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 55/1
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £64.50/£100 NSD - 104
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £379.92/£500
  • kj*daisy
    kj*daisy Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Another £6.63 on milk, tea bags, some cider and a bit of chocolate for the kids in m&s today. Still under budget and next shop is planned for wed, a new month so looks like we should be under target :) this has really helped as had car tax to pay this month as well.
    Grocery challenge July £250

45 asd*/
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi All

£14.33 spent in the larger Mr S yesterday. All of my cleaning products seemed to run out all at the same time! Obviously got some food as well, but no YS items. I don't even think that my Mr S does them any-more...

Also booked a Mr W delivery with my flatmate so going 50/50 on the £20 off £100 spend. It's not a very nice web-site to use though. Very complicated, not user friendly and kept bringing up cat food as the first option whenever I wanted cereals, fish or chicken! :D The delivery doesn't come until Sunday 5th Feb so £40 will go into Febs budget.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whoops, forgot to officially set a budget for next month. Please can I have a budget of £100 for February?

I've spent quite a lot already but I had an expensive week which included buying a bottle of wine and some drinks out. If I have to have dinner out I'll take it out of my main budget. I've now got most of what I need to get through the rest of the month, I think.
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • supersally01
    Options
    Afternoon all,
    Seemed to have spent a lot over the past couple of days, so need to update and free myself of the burden!!!
    Marks and Spencers, £21, £16, £27
    Boots £4.68
    Aldi £7
    Coop £7
    LLoyds Pharmacy £9
    Total £91.68!!!!:eek: Hope my maths is OK, as been on a night shift!
    This is LOADS, especially as I only have a total of £220 for Feb, and I'm only a couple of days in!!!
    Stocked up on everything tho, and will join the eating out of the freezer challenge for the rest of the month.
    Hope all are doing better than me! Free sunday lunch at Mums today, and some whoopsie treats for tea. Need to batch cook tomorrow for the freezer, as got some mince & mushrooms that will make a nice spag bol in the SC.
    Thanks for the thread, and all who post!!!
  • flyingmamma
    Options
    Really enjoyed the grocery challenge in Jan as it was my first month ever sticking to a budget and watching what I spent. Came in on target 198/200 setting £200 for Feb pls. Baked bread and cookies today.Was going to nip to the shop for bread but decided to try and bake my own....looks ok ...haven't tasted it yet!On-line shopping really seems to help me reduce waste and spending! Good luck for feb everyone!
    No more toys til Xmas 2022 , mfw 2023 challenge , Trying to not waste food , time or money and appreciate the moment more!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    tracey12 wrote: »
    I know how it feels when you have no-one to fall back on and it is scary. I am a single mum to 2 dd's and get very little financial help from their dad.

I would stock up on non-persihables as well.

Went to Mr T today for milk, bread, minced beef, garlic bread, mushrooms, pears, cucumber, butter and some other bits and bobs so an extra £32.82 to add. I'm still under budget as the moment but won't declare until Tues.

I have got a job interview tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

Tracey

Thanks Tracey ... I do feel much better today now that I've decided what to do (I'm a born worrier by nature). I will keep an eye out for "not to miss" offers and gradually build up some stocks "just in case".

Wishing you the best of luck for tomorrow xx
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Are thel arge chickens included in this offer, I looked but the only ones with the deal were very small.

It's the medium chicken in this week's deal, they seem to range from 1.2kg to 1.5kg in my experience. The one I got this week was about 1.4kg, smaller than last time but still enough for us.

I'm counting this weekend's spend in February, waiting for the new thread to open up to report. So just popping in to read how everyone is doing, well done! :money:
  • theonlynuttytart
    Options
    My spend for last month came in at £110 an overspend of £10 :mad:

Can you put me down for £100 again for feb?

Im armed with a book and a pen. When i come in i write down exactly where ive spent money to keep a tally. My month runs from the 27th of each month.

Up to now ive spent £7.68 on groceries. I even didnt buy anything from the whoopsie shelf. Im determined to come in under £100 for Feb and am concentrating on working my way through the freezers and cupboards. Its hard to break the habit of stocking up!

My new rule is unless i have less than two of any item i cannot buy it. The only exception to this is if its an absolute bargain or massive discount and then i have to come back to it at the end of the shopping trip. 9 times out of 10 i either cant be bothered going back or ive decided its not that much of a bargain after all! :D
    Sealed Pot Member 1269 :D VSP... TO UPDATE!
    No more toiletries challenge..... Making progress! :T
    GROCERY CHALLENGE £100 January 2012 :j
    I MUST RESIST CHOCOLATE! WELL SOME OF IT ANYWAY!
    :EasterBun:EasterBun:EasterBun
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    tigerfeet thankyou for going to all that trouble , its fab im going to match it to what i need as im going to go next week , i will defo get the onions , spuds, cheese, toothpaste and kitchen roll :D

Don't thank me, Thank DH. I was sitting there with a calculator plugging in numbers, doing sums in my head and scribbling things down and he asked me what I was doing and said wait a minute, give me that receipt. Click, click, click. How many sheets on the toilet paper. What was that? This? The other? Can you go onto Tesco and check the prices for me. Click, click, click. Et voila! It was all done in half an hour and all I need to do is update it as I go.

Do Costco have a proper website with all their prices on? Or do they just send you special deals by email? Next shop we will pro ally concentrate on meat. But I need to get another freezer as I don't have enough space :D
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business