Section 21

Anyone know if you still have to get new tennants to sign a section 21 at the begining of the tenancy?
It is unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, all you lose is a little money... that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better (John Ruskin - 19 ctry author, art critic & social reformer)

Replies

• thesaintthesaint Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenants don't sign the S21, landlords do.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • thanks thesaint. So do you have to give it to the tenants when they move in?
    Also, is it essential?
    It is unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, all you lose is a little money... that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better (John Ruskin - 19 ctry author, art critic & social reformer)
  • I have downloaded a copy of the section 21 and the thing I'm unsure of is - do I have to give it to them at the start of the tenancy or to be given to them when you want them to leave. :confused:

Anyone?
  • thesaintthesaint Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    You can give it to them at the start or any time in the meantime. As long as they are getting the necessary notice.

What are you trying to achieve?
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • Have a few people coming today to view the property and I just wanted to be prepared when I have chosen who to take on.

I thought I had read a while ago that if you didn't give it to them at the start of the tenancy then you couldn't use it at a later date if you need to get them out quickly.
  • thats great - thanks bossyboots :T
  • MJMumMJMum Forumite
    580 Posts
    Get a copy of it signed by the tenants at the start, if possible.
    Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
  • Dont forget to get tenants to sign tenacy agreement first!!

Also, i think Section 21 Notices are only valid for 12 months so if issuing 12 month tenancy would be invalid if served now.
  • prudrydenprudryden Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    I am also still searching about when to issue a Section 21. There seems to be differences of opinion on this. I heard one recently that a judge has viewed it as a contradiction and invalidated the section 21. The reasoning was: Why would a LL tell a tenant he can have a lease, but, at the same time, tell him he has to leave?

Another story I have heard is that if you issue a section 21 at the start, the tenant can turn around and leave without notice, because you have already issued him a Section 21.

So, I am still confused as to which is the best way to go, but will get to the bottom of it someday. At the moment, I don't issue a Section 21 at the start. I will only issue one if and when it becomes necessary. Not taking any risks
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News