PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Comments

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2012 at 1:34PM
    Popperwell wrote: »
    What is it with schools and the like. They decide to do something and they expect everyone to fall in with them regardless...

Well in this case they are surprising the Head who is retiring. His football team colours are tangerine and he will be mighty surprised when (most) of the children turn up in it. He's very well-liked so I'm sure most parents will try to accommodate it but of course nothing will happen if anyone doesn't. I'd imagine it might be sports day for Fuddle's little girl - which means there is even less need to buy something because it will probably be cancelled with all this rain. It occurs to me that DS will need something yellow too for sports day as that is his team colour. Ho hum.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    The secret to being happy and content is learning how to shut the negativity out...misery likes company. So when you're down and miserable then things seem to pile themselves onto you. Try really hard and envisage an invisible eggshell around you - a sort of force field PAH. Harden your aura so that you are cocooned inside it and negstivity stays outside. Then you're safe to dream and plan and meditate and just be.
    I dont always manage it either :D and that's when I come on here and whine! But the long time I spent ill taught me that when you're down, nobody in hell will bother to pick you up, you have to do it by yourself.
    You said you were a medium - so trust in the love of spirit pet, have faith that we're all part of a huge magical creation and that each single one of us is just as good as the next. Meditate and breath and then KICK A$$ :D
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    PAH,
    Hugs to you...it's good to get your thoughts out there and get it written down whether anyone reads it or makes comments. I did it with my blog and sometimes it was very painful writing about Mum's illness, how I coped, was not coping, what I thought of the way we were treated by the Social Worker, the District Nurse, the care/lack of care at the hospital and nursing home, how I feel now.

It was at times very painful.

It is also a way to document things that possibly in time I will forget even if I am not using my "Real" name. Its a modern way of writing a diary.

Its no different to someone who writes a book.

I did sometimes wonder if I was betraying Mum writing what I did but I don't think that I was...

Sadly, you do find in writing a b log many others are having a similar life, then again it can help others who read a blog and learn from someone elses experiences or they share their thoughts with the writer of the blog.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    I meant to add Possesion and you've confirmed it, that the intentions behind some of these ideas is probably nice but sometimes they don't always think. Again, would an orange top be used again. If it only cost £2 that's not too bad and once purchased I suppose it could be used to "knock about it in...":p
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    edited 6 July 2012 at 1:33PM
    mardatha wrote: »
    The secret to being happy and content is learning how to shut the negativity out...misery likes company. So when you're down and miserable then things seem to pile themselves onto you.

That is so true and happening more and more. If I was left alone my days aren't that bad but then a bit like Byatt a letter drops on the mat from somewhere like the DWP or you get caught up in the new plans for changes to the benefit system and off we go. For others it's family troubles out of the blue, the loss of a job, illness etc...

As the saying goes "That's life" Life gets in the way and few sail through it without a care in the world, it's whether we can adapt or change what's happened to our advantage.

Its sad that someone like me who has always seen the good in may things and have been of a happy nature and calm, collected and takes a lot to get me worked up is seeing more unfairness and less to be joyful over.

I used to say that my Father missed a lot of wonderful things in the past 30 years but he would of disliked much of what is happening. And the same is true of Mum regarding the future.

I may have to look at that programme a few have mentioned on here where it's been said nothing much has changed and we're going backwards. It may depress me though...

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just opened a letter from tax office for son - he still has mail sent to us, hence the bailing out of money the other month as we had baliffs turn up at our door thinking he lived here and it was either pay up or they were going to come in and take our things.....scared the life out of me as we have had our problems but never had baliffs at the door and he has not lived here for 10 years......

Lying !!!!!! - bailiff not son.

pah - if that ever happens again, please come over the the debtfreewannadee forum and get help there. Most self-taught except on ex but we can hold your hand while the B is at the door.

1. Bailiffs can only come into your house if they can gain peaceful entry (having the door open for the dogs does make that an issue).
    2. Bailiffs are NOT allowed to take anything from your house unless it belongs to that errant son.
    3. They are not allowed to take anything belonging to you (that includes car etc) to pay a debt for errant son.

End of rant.

Now when you get your money back, send errant son over to DFW, please.

Bailiffs have a habit of pre-loading fees - charging people for things that they are not entitled to at that stage in the recovery process and hoping they will pay the illegal fees in ignorance.

They may well have done that with this debt and errant son might be able to reclaim some money from them. People have got back as much as £250 from bailiffs chasing CT debt.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • fayhare
    fayhare Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2012 at 1:56PM
    fuddle wrote: »
    In a tizzy. Note home from nursery to say my DD needs a yellow t-shirt and yellow leggings fr a production she's in next week. I don't have either. I can't now get on Adam's to look at the sale tops for the kids because money is needed to buy them. Looking for fabric t see if I can make them cheaper. What is it with schools, do they just think we have a never ending supply of clothes in every possible colour or costumes for every nursery rhyme. I have a yellow t-shirt, I'm tempted to cut it down for size for her and send in black leggings.

Hi Fuddle, just unlurking to say if you have the items in white or a very light colour you can dye them yellow with tumeric. It's really easy and cheap :-)

http://www.kew.org/plant-cultures/activities/handson_turmericdye.html
  • Popperwell
    fayhare wrote: »
    Hi Fuddle, just unlurking to say if you have the items in white or a very light colour you can dye them yellow with tumeric. It's really easily and cheap :-)

http://www.kew.org/plant-cultures/activities/handson_turmericdye.html

I did wonder if that could be a possible option. Amazing what solutions are suggested...

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    PAH ((hugs)))

To all those in Durham your not to far from me, i was planning on getting the train to Darlington, and thought not a chance.

After hearing the rain and thunder whack again against the house since 3am. Thought no way, my eldest son had to leave to go for the school bus, just as was about to leave the thunder was right over our house. I made him wait a few minutes before letting him go, it was quite scary.

DS2 was up all night with his aching joints, he's suffers form growing pains and has hyper-mobility. I ended up taking him to school at 9:30am, luckily i phoned them up at 8:30 and said he's just got up and explained what happened. Said it's fine just bring him in at 10am.

Well that's it the statement for extra funding has gone in for ds2, find out a few weeks time whats happening.
    It was crazy here yesterday, one minute its boiling, then its freexing, sunny again, then torrential stormy rain, then freezing fog! Whats going on :(

But i was giving a dressmakers dummy, so going to attempt to make some clothes with it. It hasn't got a stand so going make a bodge up one. So chuffed :D

the schools my boys too are all like that, always wanting money for something. Today there's a school fayre, so need money for ds2. told him though, were staying long, just once on the games and then were off.

Popperwell i have a single hob little camping stove and it as well as 6 gas cannisters for £10 out of b&m. Its ideal especially when we had all the power cuts over winter.
  • Popperwell
    kezlou wrote: »
    PAH ((hugs)))

To all those in Durham your not to far from me, i was planning on getting the train to Darlington, and thought not a chance.

After hearing the rain and thunder whack again against the house since 3am. Thought no way, my eldest son had to leave to go for the school bus, just as was about to leave the thunder was right over our house. I made him wait a few minutes before letting him go, it was quite scary.

DS2 was up all night with his aching joints, he's suffers form growing pains and has hyper-mobility. I ended up taking him to school at 9:30am, luckily i phoned them up at 8:30 and said he's just got up and explained what happened. Said it's fine just bring him in at 10am.

Well that's it the statement for extra funding has gone in for ds2, find out a few weeks time whats happening.
    It was crazy here yesterday, one minute its boiling, then its freexing, sunny again, then torrential stormy rain, then freezing fog! Whats going on :(

But i was giving a dressmakers dummy, so going to attempt to make some clothes with it. It hasn't got a stand so going make a bodge up one. So chuffed :D

the schools my boys too are all like that, always wanting money for something. Today there's a school fayre, so need money for ds2. told him though, were staying long, just once on the games and then were off.

Popperwell i have a single hob little camping stove and it as well as 6 gas cannisters for £10 out of b&m. Its ideal especially when we had all the power cuts over winter.

Kezlou,
    Sorry about all the schools stuff today and what is happening with your children, I'm sure all will come well, fingers crossed regarding the funding...

Schools asking for items must have gone on when I was young but I don't remember it being like that or was it because I never saw the notes sent to Mum and Dad.

To be honest I don't remember bringing many if any notes home. I don't remember getting lots of homework either. I think it was better then. We had a childhood and less worries.

Funny as I said before how little things please us...the Dress maker's dummy for you, me the other day with the roasting bags and splatter guard(even the camping stove)

We don't ask for much do we?

I used to like a train/bus ride to Middlesborough it seems such a long time ago unless you count Mum's time at James Cook hospital having radio therapy:(and my time there almost 15 years ago with Kidney problems. Where did that time go?

The truth is now as I don't need much, money being an issue and many of the shops being in every town, its not so imprtant these days.

Until I thought about camping stoves and the buying of one I just thought of those really tiny one's with the little blue canister underneath but there are such a variety.

This is the one that I purchased...I'll regret saying this but power cuts are rare where I live. The date on the canisters have a good long date on them someting like 2020. So if I am still around and I have haven't used them by then I will just so they are not wasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure