We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge

1…2425272930…280

Comments

  • :mad: to things that break. (our car has just done this:() so I completely understand your frustration loubie_lou

    So now I have commited myself to this I need a "cunning plan".

    So over the weekend I have been working instead of lounging. I figure if I get all my paid work up to date. I can get the invoices out by the end of the month. (doesn't mean that I will get paid quickly though, but it is a start)

    I have decided I should treat all my moneymaking schemes like a job. Ebay is next. I have been huffing and puffing about this for weeks. So if I was doing my propper job and I didn't do it I wouldn't be paid and I have realised that this is just the same:o

    So I am on my lunch break:D (1 hour allowed, I still have a further 45 minutes in which I shall put some washing on start dinner and maybe hoover if I have time) Then I am back to work until 4pm

    Am I being a little sad in my approach to this:rotfl:
    My finances are work in progress.
    Normal veiwing will resume shortly
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    aw savingforarainday I love your determination, I've spent the weekend doing virtually nothing but sitting on the internet, this will not get the debts paid. Do you find fleabay as addictive as I do? I love checking to see if something has gone up from it's last bid.

    Does anyone know if sleeping on a mattress on the floor will either ruin the mattress or my back?
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    aw savingforarainday I love your determination, I've spent the weekend doing virtually nothing but sitting on the internet, this will not get the debts paid. Do you find fleabay as addictive as I do? I love checking to see if something has gone up from it's last bid.

    Does anyone know if sleeping on a mattress on the floor will either ruin the mattress or my back?

    Sold your bed?! :rotfl:
    In debt no more!
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    loubie_lou wrote: »
    Sold your bed?! :rotfl:
    Hahaha no I am moving in with a mate in2 weekends time and need to buy a bed. I'm trying to be MSE and get a bed that will last, but it costs more upfront, and my family are trying to get me to buy a cheapo instead. Although the cheapo I like comes to £800 :eek:
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Hi please could I join? I always lurk on the challenge pages and try them on my own but am always too scared to join in properly so end up failing miserably. I'm hoping I might succeed this time if I actually take part!
    Could you put me down for £10369 :-(
  • loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi please could I join? I always lurk on the challenge pages and try them on my own but am always too scared to join in properly so end up failing miserably. I'm hoping I might succeed this time if I actually take part!
    Could you put me down for £10369 :-(

    Welcome Crafty Twinkle, lovely name! You will be allocated a number soon!

    Don't be scared of posting in the future, we are all lovely, helpful and supportive souls here :D
    In debt no more!
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Welcome to the poor house CraftyTwinkle... we'll be dining like Scrooge this year, then next year it'll be like royalty :-) *

    * money saving royalty that use their frugal ways, vouchers, coupons, scrimpings and savings to get the best deals on the royalty lifestyle
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • I've been lurking for some time now, but have finally decided I need to do something about our debts. Can you put me down for £5000 please? My snowball reckons we'll only clear £3400 in 2012, but determined to bring our DFD date forward as currently it's 53 months away. Scarily, I first joined this forum in 2006 and have spent 5 long years faffing about, consolidating -twice! and making our debts worse (hence the new username) but this time it needs to go.
    Long haul supporter #290
    POAYDBX2014 #043
    LBM Dec 2011 Debt £51K Debt Nov 2014 £42K
  • Sign me up please!

    £10,722
    DFBX2013: 021 :j seriousDFW £0 [STRIKE] £3,374[/STRIKE] 100% Paid off
    Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • hazelc56
    hazelc56 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Will this really work for folks.Speaking for myself over the past couple of years I have tried to become debt free and did many of the things suggested by mf0u1098 and indeed many more but alas there is always something that turns up and throws a spanner in the works,such as my yearly TV licence,dog licence, some essential household item breaking down and needing a new one.Then i find myself either deeper in debt or no further forward.Over the past 2 years,my cooker packed in,my fridge packed in,my washing machine packed in and not least my computer packed in.All out of the blue.The good news I suppose is, that I now have a few new items to last me for another hundred years(joking!)and a Credit card bill around £900 to clear(probably more, due to interest charges etc)I sincerely cannot see myself cleared by next Christmas 2012.I am a very thrifty person and if i live any more hand to mouth i will be out in the proverbial fields grazing with the cows.
    However I AM an optimist where debt is concerned so I will try to clear it but unfortunately I cannot say for sure that it will be 2012.
    Good luck to all of you who have taken the plunge.I wish you all well.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.