PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• FOR as I understand it. If you can cook all your own grub then that saves you money.

FOR You can enter Masterchef which requires sophisticated Homemade Skills so you possibly could gain employment as a Professsional Chef. This would seem to be a good thing and meet for Survival Purposes.

FOR Knowing where to find the best qaulity ingredients means you are less likely to buy duds saving money.
    Fancy and exotic ingredients = new ways to save money

AGAINST the OS Arguments?
    All those fancy ingredients and long lists, Otto Ottolenghi of The Gaurdian is particularly guilty.
    People who shop at Waitrose etc are deluded because the SAME INGREDIENTS can be gotten elsewhere Aldi and Lidl (Untested by me personally).
    Cookery Books are expensive and you can get decent recipes in a fairly unnamed Recipe Book.

My Position as it stands is I collect Recipe Books from Reputable Chefs, believe in decent Cookery Equipment and Gadgets and shock horror (!!!???) believe Waitrose is better value than Tesco where I have to continually throw stuff away because of Use By dates.
    I guess I won't be regarded as having OS Credibility. Am I wrong?
    Thanks in advance for replies and ensuing debate.:beer::money:
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

WE don't have debates on our QUICK QUESTIONS thread :)

A quick search will find you a number of different threads on OS which debate the varioius pro's and con's, and you are welcome to join any of those. Have fun :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • kittywight
    Options
    hi

hoping someone can help, i have been given a duck egg :) fancy having it for tea ... if i poach it, is it the same as doing a chicken egg ??

its pretty big ... does anyone have any timing advice or tips??

sorry i did google but it didnt really tell me anything specific

:beer:
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Hi kitty sorry didn't see this till now - just poach it exactly as you would a hen's egg but add thirty seconds/a minute per "size up" from a hen's egg.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • kittywight
    Options
    thanks babe :) ive done it and ate it , lovely it was too :)

*mods, think the thread can go now :) *
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Please, can someone tell me where I've gone wrong? I had some blueberries and have tried twice now to make blueberry muffins like you buy in the shops but they were awful! Pale, not sweet at all and doughy.
    The first recipe had 300g flour to just 75g sugar, and there was no sweetness at all. Tried a different recipe with 9oz flour and 4 oz sugar and they were slightly better but still doughy. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent muffin please? Chocolate muffins are fine, it's the 'white' ones I can't seem to do right. I have no blueberries left now courtesy of the kids, but I am happy to do lemon ones or anything else edible! Have to turn the computer off now as 5yr old still not ready for bed, so will check in in the morning and see what you wonderful people have come up with. Going visiting tomorrow and it'd be great to have something nice to bring.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try using your blueberries in this recipe... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=475810

And there's any number of recipes and tips in our main thread:- Muffins muffins muffins
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rosie383
    Options
    Bless you Squeaky :-)
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :) make sure that you read the whole thread - I'll be asking questions later ;)
  • rosie383
    Options
    OKaaaay....... erm very urgent advice needed please!!
    How the heck do I unglue my stupid fingers? Was trying to mend DDs school boots with superglue and the glue was dead runny, ran between my 2 middle fingers and they are firmly stuck, along with the glue tube!!! I had them soaking in nail varnish remover for 15 mins with no effect. And I know not to try to pull them apart.
    Any other suggestions please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport