PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    You can freeze feta, although it won't have quite the same taste and texture once defrosted. Wrap in airtight plastic wrapping and freeze. Leave in the fridge, in its wrapping, whilst defrosting. Once defrosted, it is better suited to being crumbled over a salad or used in cooking, rather than eaten as a table food.

Taken from this website:
    http://www.ultimate-guide-to-greek-food.com/feta-cheese.html
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Thank you Cleggie. That was most helpful.
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    You can freeze feta, although it won't have quite the same taste and texture once defrosted. Wrap in airtight plastic wrapping and freeze. Leave in the fridge, in its wrapping, whilst defrosting. Once defrosted, it is better suited to being crumbled over a salad or used in cooking, rather than eaten as a table food.

Taken from this website:
    http://www.ultimate-guide-to-greek-food.com/feta-cheese.html

Sorry, one more question. Should I drain it first? or should I freeze it as it is, with the olive oil?
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    I would drain it forst and pat with kitchen paper, then freeze :)
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a tin opener that I think I may have ruined, but I would like to try to mend it. My parents have had it for years and sent it to me to use because being left-handed and having small/weak hands I've always found them challenging so they sent me one I was used to.

The trouble is, one of the wheels is no longer turning. I can cut the tin open and then manually move the tin opener a little ways and make a new cut and eventually get the tin open, but it won't work normally. Upon inspection, I think this may be because one of the screw type things that attaches to the wheels has rusted. This could be because I washed it and didn't dry it properly:o

Does anyone know of a way I might mend it? I was thinking a bit of oil or something to clean the rust off, but this isn't really my department and OH is useless at this type of thing--he always jokes that I'm the engineer in our relationship.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2012 at 9:55AM
    Options
    You can try a spray of WD40 if you have it - but otherwise I'd hit the local hardware shop (or Halfords) for a small can of "penetrating oil" (and fer gawds sake don't look that up on google unless you have parental controls set :))

In this instance the oil will work better than the WD40.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Thanks. I don't have any WD 40 anyway so I'll get some oil today while I'm out.:j I will be really pleased if I can mend this and not replace it.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2012 at 12:09PM
    Options
    You're welcome :)

Must admit I use an electric can opener these days. You can find them for a tenner or so and I'm dead chuffed with mine.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    I had an electric opener when I lived in the US. However, they don't tend to be dual voltage. I've moved around so much that minimizing my electrical appliances is necessary for survival!
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Worked like a charm, thanks again!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts