PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Have been lurking but not posting for a long time as I was spending too much time on the PC!!
    Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm sure all you wonderful people would like to help.
    End of the month, and I am NOT going to go and buy more stuff. I found a pack of puff pastry lurking in the freezer and no idea what to do with it for dinner tonight.
    I have no fish or meat, so it needs to be veggie. I have:
    potatoes
    onions
    cheese
    chopped tomatoes
    baked beans
    a pepper
    fresh tomatoes
    various spices /seasonings

Needs to be substantial enough for dinner for 4, and should be okay to reheat as I will need to make it before I go out this afternoon. I will then eat with the children after school, and dh will eat later after work. I have salad stuff in too.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :o)

PS: I have tried the recipe finder on BBC but for some reason it's not opening for me today. Just a page with ads round the edge for some weird reason!

My daughter has been doing some cooking at school, and last week she made a puff pastry pie - more like a huge vol au vent really.

I got her the ready rolled pastry. They scored a groove all the way round it and baked it, then squashed the centre bit down when it was cooked. Meanwhile she fried a couple of leeks and some mushrooms with some herbs and garlic, then when the pastry was cooked just poured it all in. You could put any veggies in really.

With the potatoes, onions and cheese couldn't you slice the potatoes really thinly, and layer them with the onions and cheese and bake it? I suppose you could put puff pastry on the top towards the end of the cooking time (so it doesn't burn as it will cook more quickly than the potatoes).
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks justamum. I like the first idea. I don't have mushrooms, but leeks and scallions would do I suppose. I didn't think of baking the pastry first, so that's a great idea. I always end up with a soggy bottom.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2014 at 12:53PM
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Thanks justamum. I like the first idea. I don't have mushrooms, but leeks and scallions would do I suppose. I didn't think of baking the pastry first, so that's a great idea. I always end up with a soggy bottom.

My daughter is making the same thing this week (we're veggie and the meat-eaters were making meatloaf last week and the pastry pie this week), but I'm going to give her a couple of courgettes and a pepper to go into it. I should think pretty well anything would go into it really. I had a piece warmed up the next day and it was still tasty.

ETA - I've just remembered - she put a few slices of tomato on top and some cheese. You could do that and put it in the oven to brown off. I also served it with baked potatoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure