Aldi - what to buy?

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    [STRIKE]Not sure if its been said but the frozen deserts were quite nice when worked there, i know 1 was rhubarb with something and i think there was a plum 1 too but the rhubard 1 was quite nice.[/STRIKE]

scrap what i said as they dont sell them anymore unless they dotn stock them in the store i was in other day.
  • brightonman123
    Options
    fresh fruit & veg on offer each thursday i think, at our local one..

tinned spaghetti 19p, 2 pack of bacon for £2.50 ish (400/500g?)

packs of peperoni, about 20 slices for 80p or so - i use 4 to a round,
    with their bread, at 49p a loaf.

And if feeling flush, i might treat myself to a 4pack of Taurus cider, for about £2.50..

I usually check nearby Iceland for freezer stuff.. sometimes mince there too, which i portion up before freezing.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • haycorns
    haycorns Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ground almonds are good vale 99p for 200g vs £1.50 for 100g in Tesco.

Great for homemade almond slices and Nigellas damp apple cake ( which is gluten free, dead sinmple to make and very yummy - google it)
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    The things I am not so keen on are their coffee,tea bags, bread rolls, dog food and cream cheese.

I always found their coffee to be bitter, but out of necessity the other day I bought their Almat gold decaff and was very suprised to find that it was lovely - nice and mild and just how I like instant coffee to be. It was a low price too - £1.39 for 100g I think.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2011 at 9:02PM
    Options
    More things I've thought of that are good:

Aldi Chocolate spread, it's around 99p and is identical to nutella
    unsalted pistachios
    The boxes of 160 teabags in the red box are lovely
    Poppadoms/naan bread
    Chocolate chip brioche loaf, it's a bit too good so I tend to buy it every now and then
    Magnum washing up liquid, the large bottles are great but I'm not keen on the lotus blossom scent (it's a bit strong)
    Almat washing powder
    So Soft fabric softener, I find the concentrated stuff in the smaller bottles better
    The cooked meats like the german salami are amazing, mmmm
    The choksticks are identical to magnum ice creams but 99p for a box of 3
    The nappies are amazing! £4.99 for 48, they have been great for my youngest.

I like the variety that Aldi brings, except for when they discontinue something that you really like! I've been weaned off my obsession with Tetley tea, fairy washing powder and washing up liquid. It's saved me a fortune already.
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the bottles of baron saint jean wine £2.99 a bottle is lovley

hubby likes cider so buys the 2 little bottles of both apple and pear cider for £1.95

there chunky frozen chips £1.69 for a large bag

and there ravioli in a tin 45p far far cheaper then the big 3 and tastier IMO

we also regualy get there poppadoms and
    rice i bought a kilo bag of long grain for 49P yesterday
    there grated cheese - ok may me not so money saving but only £1.49 for the bag and is great as i know i got a shep pie to make

also and lucky for us there mince was on offer 800g reduced to £1 :) so i picked up 5 of them there was 8 packs just put out - i would have taken the other 3 on offer too but a woman who'd been looking as same time - obviously was going for the same item was glad when i said look ive got 5 - u can have the other 3 -

straight in freezer and thats it can get loads of meals out of them
  • miss_miggins
    Options
    Has anyone tried the £2.99 wines from Aldi- any good? I'm looking for a christmas tipple. Are they lower in alcohol than normal wines?
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello, I am the poster who started this thread off, its been absolutely excellent, beyond my wildest hopes, I thought I would get about half a dozen replies not three pages full!
    Thank you everyone for making it such a good and useful thread, may you all enjoy your bargains and treats over Christmas.

Happy Christmas one and all!
    Hilary
  • maestro2001
    Options
    If you're a jelly bean fan you really have to try Aldi jelly beans...

other things that are great include pesto (all varieties), fromage frais with fruit, tuna steaks, frozen mixed seafood, basa fillets, camembert, brioche, fruit juices, olive oil, olives, and their version of baileys,they also do a great fizzy rose for about £3.99 but can't remember the name!
  • jollymummy
    Options
    We had a lovely meal last night, most of it bought from Aldi, carton of leek and potato soup, part baked brown rolls, and a bottle of Macon village for £4.99. also bought a loaf of white sliced and a pot of cream and made a scrummy bread and butter pud for dessert. We've also bought a duck stuffed with apricot stuffing for Christmas day at £8.99.
    The Almat washing powder and fabric conditoner is good too. My Mum loves their jam !!
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business