Countdown to Freedom

Options

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning - haircut booked €15 - for this morning. Tried a delicious blend of rice in a salad last night and am going to hunt it down this morning.

Off to the beach late afternoon and I'm preparing everything for a pasta dish for dinner, this morning. Want to be ahead otherwise we may be tempted to eat out.

Feeling very sad as we are off in the next day or so. It is more upsetting each time I have to leave nowadays. I truly appreciate how fortunate we are but I'd love our new life to start now.

Right off to put towels in to wash.

Best wishes

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 25 July 2016 at 7:28AM
    Options
    Different phase of holiday now and Mr T is making good use of his free hotel nights. We have seen some fantastic sights and last night ate in an American diner with music choice (can't think what it's called) at each table. Truly brilliant and as we ate late and Sunday is a quiet night we were able to sing along with the songs :)

Clothes washed in the bath last night and now dry.

Heading down for breakfast shortly then a free pedicure for DD and me :T

Kids are learning more about using money wisely and I've enjoyed listening to them. DD is investigating a Trust for her and her brother. Any property purchased would be owned by the Trust. We had toyed with that years ago but at 20 DD is already starting to see the damage relationships can do, when ending badly.

Right need to cracking on.

Tilly xx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    :j Just blown up iron so can't do any ironing :j.

:o

That's rather an extreme way of avoiding the ironing, gg! :rotfl:

Sounds like you had a lovely time in Portugal - how long until you plan on making the move permanent, Tilly?

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds lovely out there Tilly! The weather is rubbish here at the moment - grey, damp and drizzling. I t is inspiring reading your diary and I dream of having our own place in the sun one day but I'm not sure it will happen. Anyway, I can dream!

JAney x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Greent, will be two years but we are looking to see whether we can accelerate.

I gather it is raining in our hometown so not looking forward to returning.

We both feel so integrated over there. Good mix of healthy activities along with many social activities. We love the blend of nationalities but we are both thankful English is spoken by so many :).

Can't wait to be there and start our renovations.

Best wishes Tilly xxxxx
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 1 August 2016 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Hi ljaneyr

Placeholder - will update in a short while - whoops that took longer than expected :)

Truthfully I don't think it matters whether it's a property or just the funds to travel and have integrating holidays. Having the freedom to do as you choose and spend your money how you like is the ultimate. We will never be in the 'wealthy' bracket but I know that since 2010/11 we have used every penny wisely. Income wise we are in the top 2% (may be 1% would need to check) but I/we balk at the cost of so many things. We went to the cinema over the weekend and it was £54 :eek:

Take care and live you life but with 'short arms and deep pockets'

Tilly xxxx
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning, and what a morning it has been. We have spent 1.5 hours on the phone to the student loan company.

Interest is chargeable on loans immediately that funds are released - she wasn't aware of that and I only knew because of a helpful man who bought something from me in eb@y.

Bank account is £26.5k lighter and next year will be self funded. At least no more money wasted in interest.

Will go and lie down in a darkened room now.

Tilly :eek:
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Glad you are having a lovely holiday (and lie down!).
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh dear to the stress, but at least you got a lie down. Silver lining and all that :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    I am always shocked when I see those statistics about how few people, particularly women, are in the higher tax brackets. It does make you realise how fortunate you are - but I always think more about how unfair our society is in terms of education and employment opportunities.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure