PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stale Bread - what to do with it?

Options

Comments

• marmitepotato
    Options
    What can I do with stale homemade bread apart from breadcrumbs ? I was wondering whether I could make a bread and butter pudding, or would it be to 'yeasty' in taste to do that?

I have a few crusts that I can't bear to throw away when I have spent so much time baking it!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It will be great in bread and butter pudding or use it for croutons. There are lots of ideas in this thread:

Stale Bread - what to do with it?

I'll add this thread to that one later.

Pink
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would recommend making your stale bread into large crutons, and making Panzanella, which is essentially a stale bread salad, using red onion, lemon, tomato, vingegar and oil plus your stale bread. We eat a lot of this salad in our house, its lovely. I tried to post a link to the recipe on bbc good food but unfortunately as a new user I cant, but just google and its the first one to come up.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Mmmm! Thanks for the lovely recipe and suggestions. I like the sound of the Panzanella but I am allergic to onions. Can i make it without them? I am definatly going to follow the recipe supplied by I love Cats.

Thank you every one.
  • StressedSteph
    Options
    I make HM bread and had four days of left over bread.

I cut all the crusts off sliced it thinly and made Bread and butter pudding. It was Luuuurvly.

I used the crusts, soaked in warm water to feed the birds.

Felt lovely creating something out of nothing.

xx
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Thanks kittycatface and StressedSteph, these are excellent ideas, which I will try later on this week. :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mmmm! Thanks for the lovely recipe and suggestions. I like the sound of the Panzanella but I am allergic to onions. Can i make it without them? I am definatly going to follow the recipe supplied by I love Cats.

Thank you every one.

Yes I would say you could ditch onions easily, you might want to consider a nice crunchy substitute though, I wonder if something like sliced green bean would work as well?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • MidLifeCrisis_3
    Options
    Any ideas as to what can I do with half a loaf of stale granary french bread? If possible I'd like to make a savoury main course with it and wondered if it would work well sliced on top of a dish topped with either garlic butter or cheese (or both:D) or will the bottom of the bread just go soggy?

I have beef mince, carrots, courgette, onions, mushrooms, cheese, herbs, garlic, tinned tomatoes, beans, pasta, etc all available to use to make something filling and tasty.

I don't have a food processor and it's too much bread to make into breadcrumbs (translate that as my excuse for can't be bothered to:rotfl:).

Thanks for your help as always :A

MLC
    Be not so busy making a living that you forget to make a life
  • MidLifeCrisis_3
    MidLifeCrisis_3 Posts: 283 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2013 at 11:11AM
    Options
    I have decided to take a bit of a flyer and am going to saute a chopped onion, minced garlic, diced carrot, mushroom & courgette in 1 tbsp olive oil, add and fry off 500g mince, stir in 1 tin chopped tomatoes, baked or kidney beans (undecided yet), beef stock cube, 1 tbsp tomato puree, mixed herbs, maybe a pinch of chilli powder to taste and when cooked through will transfer to a dish and layer the sliced granary french bread spread with HM garlic butter over the top and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Update: Yum, this savoury mince & garlic bread bake was a massive hit, clean plates all round and very proud that I managed to use the hard french bread instead of chucking it out for the birds. Used a tin of mixed beans in tomato sauce that were lurking in the cupboard in the end, but would taste equally good with baked beans or kidney beans in tomato/chilli sauce, also added some paprika to taste, then baked for approx 20 mins at 180C.

This would work well with any leftover french bread, stale 'fresh' bread or ordinary sliced bread cut in triangles. Could also omit cheese, beans or chilli and use different leftover veggies to ring the changes. Very warming and filled 4 of us up (2 adults and 2 kids who eat the same if not more than us) with enough leftovers for OH's lunch today and all for approx £1 per head. Defo going on the menu again!!
    Be not so busy making a living that you forget to make a life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport