PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stale Bread - what to do with it?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    I'm familiar with pulled pork but what is pulled bread? Ive never heard of it.:o

I was wondering this as well.
    Slimming World at target
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    "bread pulled from the inside of a loaf in irregular pieces and browned lightly" according to Merriam-Webster.

We make "Pizza toasts" with past-its-best bread. Slice, slather with tomato puree & a squirt of garlic puree, add meat, cheese, herbs & toast.

Drat. Hungry, now.
  • Ladyluck1
    Options
    Treacle tart? Thatll use breadcrumbs :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • juniper_berry
    Options
    Why not change the style of loaf, maybe make a large family sized boule (cob) which you could hollow out and fill with soup? Then use the inside to make croutons for it and to thicken the soup.
  • clare64
    clare64 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely ideas - how could I forget treacle tart!
    Pulled bread is basically strips of stale bread that you spray with either water or olive oil and heat in the oven until it goes crispy - lovely dipped in soup
    Juniper_berry - your idea is something that we do at the weekend after freezing ourselves watching the boys playing football!
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday I was watching Jamie Oliver cheap meals (I know some ppl are not very fond on him) and he had a few ideas.

Like chopping the bread in little cubes, baking them in the oven on a roasting tin (making croutons), chilling down, putting in the jar and use after for salads etc.

Mixing dried bread with garlic and herbs to sprinkle over certain foods.

Making stuffing for dinner.

I would recommend to find that episode, because I might be wrong what exactly he was making with old bread.
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I don't have much in the way of left over crusts, as I wrap hm bread straight from the oven in a clean tea towel while it cools. Crusts are then nice to eat (for old folks like OH and me with dodgy teeth!)

Will be trying some of these ideas though.
  • Nodette
    Options
    I have an old booklet - probably dating from wartime - called "Over 120 ways of using bread" and that has several ideas in it. I tend to discount the many 'recipes' for sandwiches or that use toast... but there are still quite a few good ideas.

For example, mix some breadcrumbs with a beaten egg and a little milk, roll round small apples and tie each in a pudding cloth. Boil to make into dumplings. (Sorry, no details of amounts or timings!)

Or 'fairy fingers' - cut stale bread into neat fingers (cut off crusts) and fry in deep fat until crisp and golden, keeping centres soft. Arrange on a hot dish in criss-cross fashion. Heat some golden syrup to almost boiling and pour over the croutons. Decorate with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut.

But, to be honest, when I have leftover bread I usually make it into breadcrumbs, dry it in the oven (residual heat after cooking something) and store in a large jar.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stopped eating bread almost four weeks ago and along with a healthy eating plan have last almost a stone.I have some sliced brown bread portioned up in the freezer but my bread bin is empty :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure