Forum Home » Phones & TV

The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

edited 14 June 2010 at 4:02PM in Phones & TV
152 replies 58.7K views
Former_MSE_LawrenceFormer_MSE_Lawrence Researcher
976 posts
edited 14 June 2010 at 4:02PM in Phones & TV
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

International Calls: The Cheapest Way To Call Every Country

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

If there is a provider you think should be added to either CallChecker please email [EMAIL="callchecker@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] with details of at least one destination or call type it is cheapest for and it will be considered.

Replies

• Hello
    Has anyone used Lycatalk's access numbers "18500 & 14500 for calling abroad? I would be glad to hear opinions. Thanks.
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Hello
    Has anyone used Lycatalk's access numbers "18500 & 14500 for calling abroad? I would be glad to hear opinions. Thanks.

Why use them when you can get cheaper prices by using the Intl Call Checker, without having to pay £10 to open an account.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    hurrah wrote:
    Why use them when you can get cheaper prices by using the Intl Call Checker, without having to pay £10 to open an account.
    £10?

Now that's cheeky in the current telephony environment.

As you say, the MSE International Callchecker is a far more useful resource.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • vmanvman Forumite
    62 posts
    I see the money-saving tip email talks about PC-PC calls – but lets face, making calls sat in front of a computer is a bit rubbish (esp. if you work in IT – because both of you are on PCs, the person you are talking inevitably turns the conversation to you fixing all the gripes they have with their PC ).

If you had the good sense to buy a router instead of a rubbish broadband modem, then you might as well buy a IP phone and plug it straight into a spare port on that – it means that you do not need your PC switched on to make, and more importantly, receive calls. Better still, invest about £40 in an IAD and you can plug your normal phone in – remember, if you use DEC phones (like most people seem to) then you only need one phone connected to line (so no re-wiring).

If you go with a voip provider like sipgate.co.uk, then you can have a free geographical number (i.e. an 0208, 0207, etc number that non voip users can call).

I understand that NTL offer a broadband-only for about £10. I reckon that’s the cheapest way to get VOIP connected as you would no longer need to pay BT line rental.

Sorry if this is gibberish – I’m typing in a hurry!
  • A TalkTalk customer service lady told me that override numbers don't do their magic with the TalkTalk system. Is this true?

Regards to all,
    notreallydavid

When override numbers can't be used for international calls, what's so bad about phonecard-plus-landline? Phonecards don't get a mention on this site - do they deserve one?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    skintdavid wrote:
    A TalkTalk customer service lady told me that override numbers don't do their magic with the TalkTalk system. Is this true?
    Perhaps not true for some customers but certainly true for others.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • MercenaryMercenary Forumite
    620 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I realise that many people may want to use a phone handset for these type of calls, but no-one seems to mention the free GoogleTalk utility that allows you to use a PC with a microphone to either talk normally, leave a voicemail message (very handy!) if they're not online just then, or type-chat to any of your contacts that also have GoogleTalk.

Granted, you each have to have a free Gmail webmail account to operate it, but it's not difficult to get an invite from a user and to set one up with an amusing nickname :cool: ..or even your real one ;) .

I use both Skype (again through the PC) and GoogleTalk to talk to many members of my family and friends who live all over the world, and they are all completely FREE calls as I have broadband. Some of my contacts use an all-in-one microphone headset, some use a separate microphone and the PC speakers....like I do.:D
  • theowl_2theowl_2 Forumite
    196 posts
    I used 18185 to call the USA and the tariff message before I connected informed me that cost of call was in fact twice that advertised on the website. I went ahead with the call thinking the tariff message was wrong. However, the website says that the tariff message is always correct. I contacted CS about this as the cheaper rate continued to be advertised on the website for several days. Their replied that their website rates can be out of date and the tariff message should be relied upon.
    I think this is a con and told them so. Comparison services will use the rates seen on the websites as will many customers. Be aware.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    TheOwl wrote: »
    I used 18185 to call the USA and the tariff message before I connected informed me that cost of call was in fact twice that advertised on the website. I went ahead with the call thinking the tariff message was wrong. However, the website says that the tariff message is always correct. I contacted CS about this as the cheaper rate continued to be advertised on the website for several days. Their replied that their website rates can be out of date and the tariff message should be relied upon.
    I think this is a con and told them so. Comparison services will use the rates seen on the websites as will many customers. Be aware.
    From a BT line (i.e. using the 18185 prefix) 18185 charges ½p/minute to call the USA.

From a cable landline (i.e. using the 0808 1 707 703 gateway number), 18185 charges 1p/minute to call the USA.

Which type of line were you calling from?
  • theowl_2theowl_2 Forumite
    196 posts
    Oops, you're right. I hadn't been able to find that info on their website. Now found it. I was indeed calling from a cable line.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support