The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Comments

• far wrote: »
    There seem to be issues with the International Call Checker not updating prices for calls to Kenya from the 05pence and Abroadcall websites - both have now gone up to 4pm a minute and say so on their site but neither the Call Checker here nor on Niftylist have picked this up yet - any thoughts why?
    I'v noticed that the call checker still operates with calls from 0.5p. However, calling an 0844 (or 0871) number in the first place will add at least 4p to that amount, so I will take great care to read this Call Checker and think it should be pointed out in the list on this site! The more so if you call Norway, which isn't included in TalkTalk's 38 free countries..
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Good point by nonaki2009 the MSE Callchecker does not appear to mention their will be a connection charge of 7p from BT (other networks may vary) when calling a non geographical access number.

It also needs updating cos it says. "(A lo-call tariff is usually 4p daytimes and 1p all other times).
  • I use a service called Nonoh which is cheaper then Jajah

I'm not sure why this site isn't mentioned on the main article page
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had a rather poor experience with Nonoh so would only use them if I have no alternative to IP telephony. Have gone back to Skype / 181815 / the 0844x providers.

Oh and the link above is a dead one
  • I recently had a run-in with Virgin Media about using overide providers. I am an old NTL customer, and for years I have been using these 0844 numbers to call overseas. Last month a call that should have cost around 30p was charged at something ridiculous like £5.90.

When I called customer services their brainless drones kept giving me the party line about these calls being charged at the same rate as all other 084 number. After speaking to 3 different people including the call center manager, I decided to write to their customer service department in the UK.

They promptly called me back, and had their technical department check out my claims about these overide providers and what the calls should be charged at. In the end they told me that all call 084 calls are charged based on their PR rate (I think it was) that is listed on their website. For me this means anything from 9p per minute and up, plus a connection charge. They comfirmed that I will not be charged what the overide provider charges, and that I should check their list for the different numbers.

So much for cheap calls!:mad:
  • Hi,

I had the same problem with Virgin media. After finding from the call checker that Telesavers is the cheapest to call India, I started using that. They provide 0844 number and calls would cost 1p per minute. Before using this number, I phoned virgin call center and got it confirmed from them that there is no connection fee for calls to these numbers and the amount that is charged is what is said by these providers.

But things were completely different when I got my bill. The actual call charge was 2p, as against 1p, but also there was a connection charge of 7p. When I spoke to virgin media again, I got different answers. this time they said its the provider who charge and they have no control over that. When I contacted the providers (Telesavers), they said they cant over charge unless Virgin media has set a different rates for these numbers.

I dont know whom to appeoach now. Bottom line is never believe what the call centre says; they would have no clue on what they are speaking.

Vikram
    I recently had a run-in with Virgin Media about using overide providers. I am an old NTL customer, and for years I have been using these 0844 numbers to call overseas. Last month a call that should have cost around 30p was charged at something ridiculous like £5.90.

When I called customer services their brainless drones kept giving me the party line about these calls being charged at the same rate as all other 084 number. After speaking to 3 different people including the call center manager, I decided to write to their customer service department in the UK.

They promptly called me back, and had their technical department check out my claims about these overide providers and what the calls should be charged at. In the end they told me that all call 084 calls are charged based on their PR rate (I think it was) that is listed on their website. For me this means anything from 9p per minute and up, plus a connection charge. They comfirmed that I will not be charged what the overide provider charges, and that I should check their list for the different numbers.

So much for cheap calls!:mad:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Welcome to the MSE forums vikramrkin

Providers other than BT can charge exactly what they want for 0844 calls and, in Virgin Media's case, they have decided to charge DOUBLE for what should be 0.5p/minute and 1p/minute numbers.

Unfortunately, you can only complain to VM - and their response will be, "Tough."
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Hi Heinz,

Thanks for the info. Is there anything I can do to fight this? Every time I have spoken to Virgin media, I have got the wrong information (about call charge, connection charge etc) and they always deny saying that when I call them back. How can I prove that I was given a verbal assurance by their call center people??

Thanks
    Vikram
    Heinz wrote: »
    Welcome to the MSE forums vikramrkin

Providers other than BT can charge exactly what they want for 0844 calls and, in Virgin Media's case, they have decided to charge DOUBLE for what should be 0.5p/minute and 1p/minute numbers.

Unfortunately, you can only complain to VM - and their response will be, "Tough."
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A good reason not to relinquish you BT line even if you have Virgin cable. Suggestion: Ditch Virgin TV, go for minimum broadband package and a separate BT line.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Other alternatives for cheaper calls if your using a Virgin Media phone line are
    http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php via their 0808 FREEPhone Number. Or if you have inclusive landline minutes on VM someone like www.localphone.co.uk who use 01/02 geographical access numbers rather then 0844/0871 ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure