The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Comments

• Are you on payg or on a contract with inclusive minutes.

Hi,

I have a contract with Orange with 1000 mins included. This does not cover me for international calls - as far as I know.

Regards

Andy
  • jojo1964
    jojo1964 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First post for me, and a big thankyou to all who have aided and abetted me on my money saving journey (it becomes addictive).

I have used discount dial for calls to Aus at half a penny a minute (although i was rather sceptical to start, waiting for my phone bill to arrive before making any more calls) but was wondering if there was any similar schemes for calls from Aus to the UK as my sister who lives there asked if it was possible for her to call me in the UK cheaply, any help would be appreciated.
    Thankyou Sir Alex for 26 years
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

I have a contract with Orange with 1000 mins included. This does not cover me for international calls - as far as I know.

Regards

Andy

If it's one person that you call a lot, and they'd carry another phone, send them a UK * SIM card with free or cheap roaming there.

3's Like Home means free incoming calls when registered on 3 Ireland. O2 payg has an Ireland bolt-on with free incoming calls on O2 there for £1.99 a month. Or Vodafone Passport has a 75p connect fee when on Vodafone there.

If not, or if you call several phones, then find a cheap calls provider which uses a geographic access number (i.e. not 0871, but London or Manchester, etc).

At the moment the MSE Callchecker says 18185 looks the cheapest for Irish mobiles, but you could use one of the Betamax VoIP brands via a callthrough access, like DialNow JustVoip or Voipcheap, which haven't made it into the MSE listings yet.

* There are also global SIMs with free incoming calls in several countries, and some of these would come out of your inclusive minutes, but they are more expensive to buy than the free or very cheap UK SIMs
  • Can anybody help???
    Who offers the cheapest calls mobile to mobile to PNG. I bought International Mobile World package and was told calls would be charged at
    the same price as Australia -around 4p per min- but in reality they are 80p!!!!
    Any ideas???:confused:icon11.gif
  • I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but we use this website and it's access numbers as there's no sign up cost. Worked out great as my parents have used this countless of times to speak to friends and family abroad. Even told a caller from Sky who was trying to sell their phone package to us, and he wanted the website.

anyway, telediscount.com = good prices!
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    danstone wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but we use this website and it's access numbers as there's no sign up cost. Worked out great as my parents have used this countless of times to speak to friends and family abroad. Even told a caller from Sky who was trying to sell their phone package to us, and he wanted the website.

anyway, telediscount.com = good prices!

Welcome.

Yes their one of the many providers that are covered by the Intl Call Checker which is what this thread is about.;)

See: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/

If you use it your see their prices can be beaten,often by one of their sister
    companies.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Can anybody help???
    Who offers the cheapest calls mobile to mobile to PNG. I bought International Mobile World package and was told calls would be charged at
    the same price as Australia -around 4p per min- but in reality they are 80p!!!!
    Any ideas???:confused:icon11.gif

Why not use the Callchecker ?

See: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/papua_new_guinea
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just been reading the revamped article - surprised to see that it recommends Jajah with no mention of Nonoh (www.nonoh.net). I used Jajah for a while but have since switched to Nonoh as my main provider. It's generally cheaper than Jajah (more free destinations than Jajah). It's also more flexible - you can connect the call between ANY two numbers in the world, not just the numbers you have registered.

You can also use it:
    • From a PC using VoIP software
    • By calling an access number from one of your registered numbers (they have access numbers in several countries)
    • Apparently you can also use it from a SIP device. I must try this, as I have a Linksys PAP2 adapter at home (currently set up to use my SipGate account).
    To take an example - I frequently call Spanish mobile numbers. Nonoh charges 7.5p/min for this call. This is cheaper than all but one of the providers listed on the callchecker on this site (6p/min). However, if I want to use my mobile phone to make the call it is cheaper to use Nonoh, as the 6p/min number from the callchecker is charged at 15p/min from my mobile.

I don't have any connection with Nonoh or any other telecoms company but I have been using them for many months now and am very happy with the service. It's good value, very flexible, and connections are generally reliable and good quality.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    By the way, Nonoh is advertising 3.3p/min to Papua New Guinea as requested above. The cheapest direct dial provider on the callchecker is 18p/min (there are "Top up" providers at 8p/min but I have been put off "Top up" providers after being charged for top-ups that didn't get added to my account).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Let me get this right... with Nonoh if you have purchased credit and it's unexpired, you can set up calls between your normal home phone and the destination number and get the call for 'free' just like a computer to landline call? I ask because it is not always convenient to tie up our computer's sound card with a phone call.

(Am on the borderline of going for Skype's flat rate of £8 per month for unlimited calls to a long list of countries but hesitating because we need a UK geographic fax in number ideally in the same deal).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure