The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »
    Let me get this right... with Nonoh if you have purchased credit and it's unexpired, you can set up calls between your normal home phone and the destination number and get the call for 'free' just like a computer to landline call? I ask because it is not always convenient to tie up our computer's sound card with a phone call.

(Am on the borderline of going for Skype's flat rate of £8 per month for unlimited calls to a long list of countries but hesitating because we need a UK geographic fax in number ideally in the same deal).

For a Nonoh call to be free, all of the following must be true:
    • The source and destination numbers are both in the list of free locations (e.g. UK landline to Spanish landline)
    • You have credited your account within the last 120 days
    • You have used less than 200 minutes of free calls in the last 7 days
    In other words, the answer to your question is "yes".

As for fax, you could consider a fax2email service. My Dad uses Gradwell (http://www.gradwell.co.uk/voip/fax/fax2email/) which he's happy with. It's not the cheapest around but it works well and allows you to choose a number from any UK area code (as well as several other countries). They will also port an existing fax number from BT if necessary.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fax2email sounds respectable... though without purchasing you cannot check if your local code is available as a fax in number. The same co's email2fax is very expensive compared to the 100% reliable fax1.com that we use though. Meanwhile Skype is rumoured to be adding fax in as a cheap extra on their flat rate, so decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the info about Nonoh, their deal takes a bit of deciphering!
  • buglawton
    Hmm I was just poised to try out Nonoh then read rather a lot of blogs/posts/pages about Betamax behaving badly with one's credit card (and Paypal) credentials. This and the way that Nonoh's pages seem to avoid stating in advance what payment methods and amounts are needed to start an account has rather put me off. If I could access their 'free' 120day topups service by making one-off Paypal payments (avoiding the Paypal recurring payments option) it might be OK.

Anyone out there with experience of using Nonoh who can answer this FAQ?
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    I've been using the Betamax products for many years, and not had a single credit card problem.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • buglawton
    Useful to know. Now why are Nonoh so cagey about letting you know a) What the minimum payment for 120 days' credit is and b) What payment options exist? Neither piece of info seems to be available until they have acquired your email address.
  • buglawton
    Well, I tried to register for Nonoh, first hurdle is that you must verify via a text sent to your mobile in order to buy credit (10 Euros for 120 days). Did this but no text arrives.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Well, I tried to register for Nonoh, first hurdle is that you must verify via a text sent to your mobile in order to buy credit (10 Euros for 120 days). Did this but no text arrives.

Does it ask for it in International format?

+447....
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

That's strange - I don't remember having to do this. Which payment method are you trying to use? I've always used direct credit card payments.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • buglawton
    When you click on the Payments link and enter an email address the first thing it does is asks for Mobile Number Verification. I would use Paypal if I got that far.
  • Is it possible to setup VOIPDiscount until the fair usage policy is used up and then get the Linksys to skip to the next VOIP provider?
    Help me to help you :santa2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport