PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

Options

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    cleaned my oatmeal coloured living room carpet with stardrops the other day - cos I couldnt find traditional 1001 carpet cleaner in the supermarket. used a scrubbing brush, a sponge and elbow grease! Its come up beautifully! so pleased with it, it took all day to dry though! and the added bonus is- it smells lovely too!
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Like alot of people here, I love Stardrops, but have not used it on my carpets. I have some stains which I need to shift so will use this, but what comments would anyone make if I used my Polti to give it a blast softening first, would this work?
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • toni_
    toni_ Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    hiya does anyone know if stardrops is ok diluted on tiles? i have natural stone floor in the bathroom, i think it would be ok but thought i better check first :) thanks
  • laddujaddu
    laddujaddu Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    After reading the first 3 pages and the last page I can't wait to use stardrops! Are they found in £land or £stretcher? There's no local ASDA here and no Savers, no Wilko.
    If you feel my post has been useful, " merci" would not go amiss.

A donde fueres, haz lo que vieres.
  • muffin_man_7
    Options
    I got a bottle yesterday in home and b it was 89p and had 33% extra free so a litre for price of 750mls tried it on a big stain on daughters bedroom carpet it should be a light cream but looks dull dingy grey the stain is gone looks better already i'm thinking of going over whole carpet with vax cleaner but will only put a teaspoon in don't want loads of bubbles in the past i would of gone on me knees but have bad knee now so getting down with a scrubbing brush is only for a small area not whole carpet will also be testing it on every cleanable surface in house and stocking up too hth
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • wee_plumb
    wee_plumb Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I've got Stardrops in the cupboard but haven't ever used it. Probably a present from Mum lol....
    Anyway, the other night I spilt a glass of Irn Bru on a cream carpet! Oops.... Do you think this would come out using Stardrops? If so, how best to use it?
    I've used other carpet cleaners with no success.
    Thanks
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also bought Stardrops on advice here... our local small shop that sells anything has it. Though I paid about £1.30 I think...

I use gloves when I use mine, I am sure it says something about "if in prolonged contact with skin.."? I'll check later, but I know there was a reason why I use gloves.

I found it great for using in bathroom, all taps shining etc.. but we also have a shower in a bath and on that side the bath can get a bit gruby (water residue I think) and occasionaly I have to use Cilit Bang to properly clean it. maybe I should leave the Stardrops to soak on it? I already use it neat - just do a ring accross the wall of the bath and then spread it over the whole bath and it foams up a little and then I rinse it.

I also used it in a dishwasher to clean the dishwasher - quite good for that. It got a bit foamy but no foam escaped out of the dishwasher...

Used it diluted in a sink (instead of washing up liquid) when washing parts of a fridge and was quite impressed.

Not that impressed with using it on the hob - Astonish still does much better job.

Not used it in laundry yet - will try that recipe with 30ml Stardrops and 2 ounces of soda crystals in my next white wash.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting stuff this, going to get some later and use it with some white vinegar to get the shower nice and shiny (the taps are fine, but the shower, after just a year has some white marks that just won't come off with anything else I've tried!)

Randomly, would a tiny amount be okay for walls too? It's very rare we'd need to use it for that of course, but it'd be handy for the utility by where we feed the cats in particular, and would save having to keep re-painting the damn things to keep them looking nice and relatively immaculate! ;o
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    blizeH wrote: »
    Interesting stuff this, going to get some later and use it with some white vinegar to get the shower nice and shiny (the taps are fine, but the shower, after just a year has some white marks that just won't come off with anything else I've tried!)

Randomly, would a tiny amount be okay for walls too? It's very rare we'd need to use it for that of course, but it'd be handy for the utility by where we feed the cats in particular, and would save having to keep re-painting the damn things to keep them looking nice and relatively immaculate! ;o

If it is a washable paint, I would possibly use it... deluted, like a squirt in washing up bowl.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you - none in the local Tesco anyway! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income