PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

Options

Comments

• jokeyjo
    jokeyjo Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    oooh i love stardrops it brings back so many memories from when i was little its all my aunties would use and they used it for everything lol
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    sallysocks wrote: »
    I found Stardrops at last (Home Bargains), getting it home there is a clump of reddish substance, bit like egg white, floating around in the bottle. Anyone else had this? Not opened it, it's a long haul to return the bottle, ring any bells?

I've not heard of this, but I wonder if it's simply because it was cold. If it will be a "long haul" to return it, then it must have been one to get it home. I'd give it a good shake and/or put it somewhere warm.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Helensdatter
    Options
    Ok am I strange? Never heard of Stardrops, never seen it. Just heard of it now on the Flylady thread.

Just saying.
    :)Motto for 2013: GET MORE DONE! AGAIN
    Do an hour a day on my BOOK! Also, lose weight. And be nicer
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I used to buy "kitchen spray with bleach" but I'm now a total convert after buying stardrops with bleach. It smells good, cleans brilliantly and I need about half as much as I used with the other sprays. I'm not buying anything else now!

I poured an eggcupful into my washing machine to do the sofa cover, and I've never had it come up that well (natural colour cotton).
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    jpscloud wrote: »
    I used to buy "kitchen spray with bleach" but I'm now a total convert after buying stardrops with bleach. It smells good, cleans brilliantly and I need about half as much as I used with the other sprays. I'm not buying anything else now!

I poured an eggcupful into my washing machine to do the sofa cover, and I've never had it come up that well (natural colour cotton).

Stardrops with Bleach???? Is this new? I've never heard of it before.
    TL
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2012 at 1:12PM
    Options
    If I need Stardrops with bleach, and I've never felt the need, I'd just add a bit of bleach. This is something most of us have in our cleaning-cupboards for textiles and lavs and suchlike, isn't it?

The one with added ammonia cleans like nothing on earth and that's the one I favour for really tough jobs. Warning: it will really, REALLY strip your hands of moisture, so wear rubber gloves and/or barrier cream.

Note: Nearly all soaps are antimicrobial. I'm not a chemist but I believe it's the alkalinity which does it, otherwise why use soap to wash your hands? Still, most of us don't need our homes to be sterile unless we've got invalids or people with poor immune systems living with us. Some people worry far too much about germs, especially if they've been watching too many ads on the telly.
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    The stardrops with bleach is sold in my local Family Bargains shop - I didn't see any other kinds of stardrops while I was there - I must have a better look next time, and get the basic one instead. I do indeed have some value brand thin bleach in (I'm a bleach queen).

Still, the one I have is costing me far less than the supermarket or leading brand one I used to buy, because they ran out way quicker.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I use it mixed with a lil zaflora antibacterial disinfectant for surface all purpose cleaning.
    I also use it As a spot stain cleaner, I just rub it in the stain and leave for around half an hour then wash as normal.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Forgive me if this has been asked before (I have searched around) and I hope it isn't too heretical a question! I'm getting to the end of my first bottle of Stardrops and certainly think it's pretty good - but not amazing. Stardrops just smells pretty much the same as Sunlight soap to me, and I'm wondering whether anyone thinks washing-up liquid, which is cheaper and so much easier to get hold of, would do exactly the same things it does?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Forgive me if this has been asked before (I have searched around) and I hope it isn't too heretical a question! I'm getting to the end of my first bottle of Stardrops and certainly think it's pretty good - but not amazing. Stardrops just smells pretty much the same as Sunlight soap to me, and I'm wondering whether anyone thinks washing-up liquid, which is cheaper and so much easier to get hold of, would do exactly the same things it does?

Washing -up liquid contains things like "foam boosters" and isn't as concentrated.

But if it hasn't worked for you, that's OK. It's like with "downshifting" brands, at least you tried.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure