PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

Options

Comments

• aeromint2
    aeromint2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the very helpful responses. I may persevere with the Stardrops for another bottle's worth. Have had no success getting white vinegar, including via the Asian food shop route. Of the only two that had it, one had only spiced vinegar (!) and both were much more expensive than Sainsbury's Basics brown, so that's what I've been using, combined with Stardrops and diluted. I find the smell quite pleasant, certainly compared with Flash Bathroom, which, although extremely effective, smelt horrible and clung to my hands for hours afterwards.

I was wondering about using the soda crystals and vinegar in the washing machine, and wondered whether it would be feasible to use brown vinegar in that? Or would it stain your clothes? I'm inclined to think not, given that washing liquids are generally bright blue and the clothes don't come out blue!

Hi Snowleopard,

Have you tried your local grocer's? Our grocer's sell brown and white vinegar, in larger quantities than you would find in a supermarket. A couple of weeks ago, I went to an Asian supermarket (not Chinese) to look for white vinegar, and they sold it in a larger quantity, which works out cheaper than our local grocers. Next, I am going to Cash & Carry, and price it up there! I use lots of white vinegar throughout the year, for cleaning purposes. Good luck in your search.
  • K2t
    K2t Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to begin mixing fairy non bio and soda crystals in my washing. (Slightly too addicted to fairy to let it go!) For fabric conditioner I have heard vinegar is good.
    1. Do I add fairy & soda crystals to the drum/drawer?
    2. Where do I put the vinegar and how much?
    Sorry, I know this is star drops related but I dont know where else to ask!
    P.S I am on the star drops band waggon! Found mine in Wilkensons.
    Thank you x
  • Nicepeach
    Nicepeach Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kt2,

Pop the soda & Fairy in the powder dispenser part of the drawer & put the vinegar in the softener compartment of the dispenser drawer.

Just follow the instructions on the pack of soda, don't be tempted to put too much in. I use a "cup" measuring cup if you know what I mean, it's a 1/4 cup = 60ml.

Brown or white vinegar is fine. I have my vinegar in an old fabric softener bottle so I just use the cap from this, so the same amount of vinegar as you would use of fabric softener. Hope that makes sense?

Let us know how you get on & what you think. :)
  • cactuspotty
    cactuspotty Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Big thanks to OP and you all for this thread! I had to deep clean my flat this weekend (it's going on the market this week) and following everyone's advice, I used Stardrops for every job! I'm definitely a Stardrops convert and will be spreading the word to one and all!

It especially worked a treat on my kitchen tiles, which are literally shining now, as well as my much abused carpet!
  • EndlessStruggle
    EndlessStruggle Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought my first bottle Saturday and used it today, is fab stuff! Will be using it to clean everything!
  • Gillybean103
    Gillybean103 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    After reading this whole thread, i found some in Wilkinsons in King's Lynn yesterday at 91p.

Tried it today on a SS hob which although fairly new had some spillage marks that i couldn't get off with anything. I used neat SD and left it for about 5 minutes and 90% of it has come off, so really happy.

Going to put some in a squirty bottle with water for general cleaning, the only thing i don't like is that it's so runny a squirt just doesn't seem enough, will see how it goes
  • inearlygaveup
    inearlygaveup Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the only thing i don't like is that it's so runny a squirt"

We found that they seem to have watered it down a lot compared to our previous bottle.
    If you have a Home Bargains near you, you will find it cheaper in there.
    nitraM

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We found that they seem to have watered it down a lot compared to our previous bottle.
    If you have a Home Bargains near you, you will find it cheaper in there.

Yep, I bought some yesterday from HB and it was 89p for a 750ml bottle of concentrated Stardrops.
  • mto
    mto Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    I've just run out of my old bottle of Starclen and have been having trouble finding it in my usual haunts - Wilkinsons and Home Bargains. Anyone know where else stocks it? I tried their website but it doesn't list stockists and also looks like its been rebranded as Stardrops with Ammonia.

Thanks
  • Musanna
    Options
    Hi All,

I've never heard of stardrops before but came across this thread. So I googled it and found the manufacturer's website (starbrandsltd dot co dot uk - sorry, as a newbie, am not allowed to post links). They seem to market several different products under the name 'stardrops'. Are you talking about the 'all round cleaner' here? I have some tea towels which are very stained from drying hands on them and which won't come clean in a normal wash so would like to find a good detergent for them. Thanks for your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure