Delivery rights discussion

Options

Comments

• wrenlegs
    wrenlegs Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if anyone on here could advise me.

In short, I bought some toys from a large very well known retailer online. They had a banner on their website with a last order date for Xmas (the date for last orders weas 19th and I ordered on the 15th). I bought 3 toys and guess what? On 21st December the tracking online (through Hermes) said my parcel had been misrouted to the incorrect depot. I got a blanket email from said store advising all customers that they had a huge number of deliveries but that they were working flat out to get them all delivered by the Friday before Xmas. Naiivley, I waited in on the Monday thinking that they would bring it then. They didnt. I sent 2 emails to ask when it would be delivered (one on the Monday mornng) and I did get a reply basically asking me to be patient with them (very busy blah blah). Needless to say my son's pressies didnt turn up in time for crimbo. In fact, they still arent here.:cool: I emailed yesterday and was told that the pressies were now in transit and could be delivered anytime up until 10pm yesterday. We waited and again nowt. I am hoping that they will arrive tomorrow, so will AGAIN wait in. We have had to answer all sorts of tricky Qs from my son about why his top 2 pressies weren't there for him and I feel flippng peeved about the whole mess.

In the last email they have said do I want a refund or a redelivery. I just dont think they get what a mess this has been and how much waiting I have done - in their words 'being patient'. Where do I stand with this? Does their order by date for smas delivery mean anything??

Sorry for rant - Im rather upset and need a rational eye on it all :o(

Thank you in advance
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wrenlegs wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone on here could advise me.

In short, I bought some toys from a large very well known retailer online. They had a banner on their website with a last order date for Xmas (the date for last orders weas 19th and I ordered on the 15th). I bought 3 toys and guess what? On 21st December the tracking online (through Hermes) said my parcel had been misrouted to the incorrect depot. I got a blanket email from said store advising all customers that they had a huge number of deliveries but that they were working flat out to get them all delivered by the Friday before Xmas. Naiivley, I waited in on the Monday thinking that they would bring it then. They didnt. I sent 2 emails to ask when it would be delivered (one on the Monday mornng) and I did get a reply basically asking me to be patient with them (very busy blah blah). Needless to say my son's pressies didnt turn up in time for crimbo. In fact, they still arent here.:cool: I emailed yesterday and was told that the pressies were now in transit and could be delivered anytime up until 10pm yesterday. We waited and again nowt. I am hoping that they will arrive tomorrow, so will AGAIN wait in. We have had to answer all sorts of tricky Qs from my son about why his top 2 pressies weren't there for him and I feel flippng peeved about the whole mess.

In the last email they have said do I want a refund or a redelivery. I just dont think they get what a mess this has been and how much waiting I have done - in their words 'being patient'. Where do I stand with this? Does their order by date for smas delivery mean anything??

Sorry for rant - Im rather upset and need a rational eye on it all :o(

Thank you in advance

where do you stand for what?
    refund
    delivery costs
    waiting in
    or?
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I know this might sound a bit "heartless," but why on Earth did you wait until the week before Christmas, before ordering you son's most important presents for Christmas?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • wrenlegs
    Options
    Well, Im not sure. Im not enitely sure how peeved I should feel. I didnt know whether people would just say 'happens all the time, accept refund or redelivery' or if anyone was going to say 'bang out of order - you have every right to be narked - they said deivery by xmas so you are entitled to ask for redelivery AND a refund'.

I have no idea how bad this is. It feels bad to me as I experience the emotional implications, and the waiting around incase it turns up. At the mo, I do think that they should compensate me: its taken an unreasonable amount of time to get here (it hasnt yet), it was supposed to be my son's xmas presents (and happened to be the 2 things he really wanted) and rightly or wrongly, Ive stayed in the house (and missed a trip out with my friends) incase the damned thing was delivered. Does the adverytised xmas cut off date for delivery thing stand for anything?
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • wrenlegs
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for your quick reply btw ;)
  • wrenlegs
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    I know this might sound a bit "heartless," but why on Earth did you wait until the week before Christmas, before ordering you son's most important presents for Christmas?

Just because we dont 'do' xmas until xmas! It was the 15th and we had just been to see Father Christmas earlier that day, which is when we heard him tell (infact whisper - because he wanted a mop (!) and a hair styling kit) FC what he wanted. I ordered it that afternoon. This store was giving a deadline for Xmas delivery for 3 days later. We were well within time...so I thought.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    wrenlegs wrote: »
    Just because we dont 'do' xmas until xmas! It was the 15th and we had just been to see Father Christmas earlier that day, which is when we heard him tell (infact whisper - because he wanted a mop (!) and a hair styling kit) FC what he wanted. I ordered it that afternoon. This store was giving a deadline for Xmas delivery for 3 days later. We were well within time...so I thought.

Sorry, but that is there is no way anyone should rely on leaving things, almost to the very last minute, to expect that they will be perfectly safe to get things delivered by Christmas, by leaving it the week before; especially something as important as "his top 2 pressies."

You are now demanding compensation...for what? What are your losses?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • CrispyUK
    CrispyUK Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of places last order dates are a guideline rather than a guarantee - however I'd certainly expect delivery before Xmas if I'd ordered on the 15th provided the items were in stock, etc.

It's certainly worth asking for something back, at worst they can only say no! If you've paid for delivery then ask for this to be refunded, if the items are now cheaper in a sale then see if they'll honour the sale price. Or explain that you've waited in expecting delivery and see if they are willing to offer anything, maybe a voucher you can use towards a future purchase.

Whatever you ask for needs to be reasonable and proportional to the value of the order though I think to have any chance of getting something back :)
  • wrenlegs
    Options
    Regardless of the contents of my parcel (pressies for family or a bag of sprouts), I am glad that someone feels that it was entirely reasonable for me to expect the delivery before xmas. I dont think it said 'guaranteed', but the fact the advertised date for xmas del with 3 days away, I decided ON THAT INFO that it would be fine.

Their emails have given me 2 days in total of delivery times. Their first (of 4) emails does say that they WILL deliver in time for xmas. These 2 days (a Friday and a Saturday) I have purposefully stayed at home to await the parcel. On email said that it wouldnt matter if I wasnt at home as they would leave delivery note so I could arrange re-delivery, but we all know that would mean I would not get redelivery before Xmas day (this was Xmas Eve!).

So, I suppose I could argue that I had spent the 2 days they told me it would be there for defo, at home and not doing the things I would normlly be doing (buying a replacement present??). I would have done this had they not told me it WOULD be delivered by the Friday and then on Xmas Eve. I just think its awful customer service. I feel a bit 'had'.
  • wrenlegs
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Sorry, but that is there is no way anyone should rely on leaving things, almost to the very last minute, to expect that they will be perfectly safe to get things delivered by Christmas, by leaving it the week before; especially something as important as "his top 2 pressies."

You are now demanding compensation...for what? What are your losses?

I can see that you are miffed that I left ordering pressies until the 15th. It wasnt last minute. Its 9 days before Xmas! And the store were advertising the last order date as another 3 days away. Forget what was meant to be delivered - you are getting emotive and missing the point. I can get emotive - its my child! This emotion is the point I address in my first point. I purposefully ask posters to look beyond the emotive (and give context to why I would like advise - Im being too emotive). If I order a bag of sprouts on the 15th and the company advise the last date for xmas delivery is the 19th, do I have a right to be miffed when by the 31st my sprouts have not arrived?? They stated 2 dates for arrival when I asked them about my missing parcel - of which I ensured I was housebound for both (over the xmas period - yes- Id have preferred ice skating, but I chose to await the sprouts as redelivery would mean pretty much no xmas delivery). Can I claim for my time? Im getting the impression that most people think Im expecting too much from this - which is why I posted - incase I was being overly miffed at the situation. Im trying to gague my level of response.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback