PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks fuddle:)
  • abwsco
    Options
    OK, DD has asked me to ask. Will fleece work as well as keeping the warmth in/cold out as thermal blackout linings? They've no idea how warm the flat is going to be and will spend money on proper thermal linings if they'd be better. Thanks
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    This is a stupid question, but I have double glazed windows so thought that would be sufficient, but will fleece, extra linings make an actual difference please?

edit, found these on Ama£on, thermals...http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064!!!FS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AQ0WQ6IGBOUDV
  • abwsco
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    This is a stupid question, but I have double glazed windows so thought that would be sufficient, but will fleece, extra linings make an actual difference please?

edit, found these on Ama£on, thermals...http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064!!!FS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AQ0WQ6IGBOUDV

We're all DG but now have thermal linings on all curtains and yes it does make a difference:) Also definately makes a difference to have curtains across your front and back doors as well if you can. I'm going to look for some new ones for my front door in the sales as I need 90" drop by 66" wide to cover all the expanse.
  • Byatt
    Options
    abwsco wrote: »
    We're all DG but now have thermal linings on all curtains and yes it does make a difference:) Also definately makes a difference to have curtains across your front and back doors as well if you can. I'm going to look for some new ones for my front door in the sales as I need 90" drop by 66" wide to cover all the expanse.

Thanks. :) I bought some door curtains from a CS, for a bargain price.
  • abwsco
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    Thanks. :) I bought some door curtains from a CS, for a bargain price.

Well done:) our CS's are really expensive so better buying new half the time..............
  • abwsco
    Options
    Well, I'm back from another trip to Dunelm after umming and ahhing about some curtains there when I took DD. I've managed to get two pairs of lovely lined ones which look as if they were made exactly for our hall, stairs and landing decor for half price:) One pair are 66" x 90" and the other 46" x 90" Big pair is for our front door and windows either side and samller pair is for our landing window.

Was a bit naughty though :o as I bought one of the big winter blankets they have in that are reduced to £11.19. Only £4.80 saving but then I've saved over £35 on the curtains.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have dg throughout too but a thermal door curtain last yr made a world of difference in our hallway. Plan to get one for kitchen door this yr.

Question!

In my lr I have a sort of bay with French doors in the middle leading to conservatory. They have vertical blinds, of which there are five (one each side window, one each front window and one for the doors). What are my options for curtains? It's not a very bright room, thanks to the conservatory hogging all the natural light, so i didn't really want reams of curtain fabric hanging everywhere. The bay is quite deep, so if I put one straight curtain across it would chop about 1m off the room. Would make it cosy I suppose!

Or I could put the curtains on the conservatory side? But then the side windows will still be exposed.

Thoughts please?

(am surprised to find I have 4 windows with nothing at all, and a few more with blinds only...)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Byatt
    Options
    My front door open into my living room and I also have another door in the same room, plus there's the kitchen door...I'm hoping the velvet curtains I got from the CS will make a difference. It's freezing here!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    They're bound to make a difference Byatt I know just from our toilet room window (double glazed) that it gets really cold in there. I still haven't got any curtains up there so in winter I stick bubble wrap on it. The difference is measurable. You put your hand next to bare window pane and you can feel a chill, with bubble wrap nothing so the curtains will trap that chill off the cold pane for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure