PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just looked on ebay but all the fleeces seem expensive there too. Anyone else considering doing their own patchwork blankets? I know they wouldn't be asthetically pleasing as liners but from the warmth factor I don't think I'd care.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Is buying fleece fabric an option? I was just wondering, as it can be cut and won't fray, whether buying from fabric suppliers would be cheaper? I doubt it but might spark something somewhere.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking aloud would cheap summer weight duvets be a better option.

Alternatively, found these online just now http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/teal-paws-pet-fleece-205682 although none at ours -lols
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a good thought Fuddle, to get it cheap enough you might need to get a lot of it (i.e a roll). My Mum buys fabric (fleece, fake fur) to make dog coats but unfortunately its in very bright colours and my neighbours really would talk if I have neon pink fleece liners to my curtains.... :D ........ but it's certainly a thought!!!! :p
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    A breast pump is an excellent idea, gets round the dad feeding problem.

I never managed with one of those :(
  • fuddle
    Options
    I can't sleep so have been looking for cheap fleece fabric online. It doesn't exist. The cheapest I could find is £2.50 a metre. Store bought fleeces are much bigger than a metre.

Hopefully, we'll get some warmer, sunnier weather soon and that might kick cheaper prices of fleeces in stores.

Er, Irma Ikea throw http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00070489/ is now £1.59

it was 90p last year. I knew it had gone up to £1.09 but another 50p? :eek: :(
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Fuddle, I wasn't up early looking for fleece but couldn't get to sleep last night for ages as I was thinking of fleece!

Wonder how dear just buying thermal lining by the metre would be. Bought some cheaply years ago but I bet that's dear now as well.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone looking for fleeces now, IKEA have the blue Irma one in store £1.59 170cm x 130cm
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I buy my material from Abakhan's local shop (Liverpool) as they do it by weight downstairs, but upstairs you pay by the meter ;) Or at least this was the case last time I bought some a few years ago for a "no sew fleece blanket" I made for Ex's gran. I love shopping in there and can happily spend hours just wandering around looking at stuff. :o They do bargain bags or even end-rolls.

I once got a roll-end of upholstery type material for something like £10 and it was enough to make 3 door curtains from and to make two covered draft excluders (the double ones that go either side of the door and stay put when you open the door) ;) Unfortunately I washed the curtains and they shrank a lot so I'm now going to recycle the material into new diningchair covers and stuff like that.

I'm running down all my supplies so I can replenish with fresh stuff over the summer :) DD thinks I'm mad, but I have fish and stuff in the freezer thats been there since at least last summer and I want to properly defrost the freezer & pull it out to clean behind/under it and hopefully decorate before September :D Decorating the house is part of this years winter prep, its so tired & cluttered and stained from past problems with damp/mould that I'm hoping getting all those jobs I keep putting off done will mean I'll be able to spot problems like mould quicker ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • fuddle
    Options
    abwsco wrote: »
    Fuddle, I wasn't up early looking for fleece but couldn't get to sleep last night for ages as I was thinking of fleece!

Wonder how dear just buying thermal lining by the metre would be. Bought some cheaply years ago but I bet that's dear now as well.

thermal lining looks to be around £4 a metre according to my search.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure