PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I don't think I have been on here since Christmas time but now I am back and 4 months pregnant (yay!) I was wondering are there any winter preps I need to do specifically baby related as he/she is due 30th November.

Possibly...

Make sure that any new clothes that you have bought are washed prior to use. Stock up on BOGOF offers for baby powder, bath, talc and cremes, cotton wool etc and create a stash - same with nappies as well.

The obvious, making sure that the room baby will be in is warm, clean and draught free, might be worth checking the doors for creaks and floorboards as well. Anything to do with the car - if you have one - implement and if you don't have to go out, then don't. Babies don't need too much for the first couple or so months, it's more food wise for the adults.

As an aside note it might be worth everyone being on the lookout for reduced electric blankets I recall some on here this time last year getting a bargain and also hot water bottles. I used mine last night because I was quite chilly and refused to put the heating on. It's not that warm now so I shall probably do another hot water bottle tonight for myself. Flaming June it is not.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm another one who is currently using a HWB Rainy-Days. I may kick it out during the night, but if I don't have one I do notice that it's cold. I'm not sure whether it's a good thing OH is back from holiday with his kids soon or not ... I'll have to give up my HW and all night reading marathons...
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I don't think I have been on here since Christmas time but now I am back and 4 months pregnant (yay!) I was wondering are there any winter preps I need to do specifically baby related as he/she is due 30th November.
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Possibly...

Make sure that any new clothes that you have bought are washed prior to use. Stock up on BOGOF offers for baby powder, bath, talc and cremes, cotton wool etc and create a stash - same with nappies as well.

SNIP

If you're going to stock up on stuff it may be worth considering getting sensitive skin stuff or low perfume things incase your baby has any allergies. I just used Aldi everything with DD when she was small, non-bio soap powder, sensitive baby wipes, and stocked up on johnson&johnson bath products when they were on offer;) . The only thing we had a problem with was the only nappies she could wear were pampers, any other brand and she broke out in a terrible rash and was not a pleasant child :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    If you're going to stock up on stuff it may be worth considering getting sensitive skin stuff or low perfume things incase your baby has any allergies. I just used Aldi everything with DD when she was small, non-bio soap powder, sensitive baby wipes, and stocked up on johnson&johnson bath products when they were on offer;) . The only thing we had a problem with was the only nappies she could wear were pampers, any other brand and she broke out in a terrible rash and was not a pleasant child :(

We got a bargain load of reusable nappies so they wont be an issue thankfully.
    But thanks for reminding me to make sure about the sensitive stuff as both hubby and i have allergies.

I was born when it was snowing and im secretly hoping it snows (when im safely in hospital LOL) I cannot wait, our little miracle we are so excited.

I have got one of those snow suits and we have stacks of blankets, sleeping bags, enough vests and sleepsuits to last upto 3 months too. (all thanks to carboots and freecycle!)

I do plan on hibernating a little so the 3 of us can spend some quality time together so i guess i just need to make sure the car is prepared and that the boiler is serviced and there is enough food etc in the house for us and the pets.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2012 at 11:34PM
    Options
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Nice thick curtains for babys room. Baby will need winter clothes not summer ones available now. An all in one snow suit is very useful. Pram/pushchair with rain cover and obviously a cosytoes (baby size) cover. Baby will still need a sunscreen for car. Other than that a baby is a baby at any time of year.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We got a bargain load of reusable nappies so they wont be an issue thankfully.
    But thanks for reminding me to make sure about the sensitive stuff as both hubby and i have allergies....
    I have got one of those snow suits and we have stacks of blankets, sleeping bags, enough vests and sleepsuits to last upto 3 months too. (all thanks to carboots and freecycle!) ....

I had horrible memories of cloth nappies from when my little sister (who is now 27) was a baby which is why I went with disposables, I had visions of stabbing my DD with the safety pin :o :rotfl:

Just a heads up about the clothing, make sure you get some in the 3-6month range as well, obviously I don't know how big your baby will be, but my DD was out of 0-3 month stuff pretty fast, I think we only got about 6 weeks out of them :eek: We had a major advantage of being given 10 (yes 10!) bin bags of baby clothing from newborn-18months when we found out I was pregnant, both boys, girls & neutral. I had the stuff we were keeping all washed, sorted and lined up in the chest of drawers about 2 months before I was due :rotfl:Nothings changed with her growth spurts now she's older.... aged 11, 5ft2" and in ladies 8/10 clothing and size 5 (very soon to be 6) shoes and has outgrown stuff she was bought for her birthday in April which were 6/8 or 12-13yrs stuff :eek::eek::eek: I'm thankful she's now the same size as her aunties as we keep receiving bags of hand-me-downs :D I just need to buy uniform bits & new underwear :money::rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • mummytoo
    mummytoo Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I still tune in every couple of days to see tips etc love it when people print their to do list etc.... hubby still thinks im mad!!!

Congratulation on the baby front chirpychip always great to hear good news!

I love hearing from our American Friend KMiller4 is she still on board not seen any posts for a while.

Speak soon guys xxx
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another tip with the cloth nappies ( i use the 50:50) is as the nappies are quite bulky in comparrison to disposable you will find you need bottoms to be either elasticated or next size up - jeans never seemed to fit.

Sun is out for the first time in many days - wonder how long it will last as got bbq later!
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Re the baby I'd get a pack or two of disposable nappies as the first few days are hard enough without the extra washing, plus that meconium is a b&gger to get out of fabrics, and drying might be tricky in winter.

My eldest is a January baby, and despite being 8lb3 the snowsuit even first size swamped him. We tried to bring him home from hospital in it but his arms didn't go right through, and the straps on the carseat were impossible to fasten around it and hold him safely.

With my second I bought a carseat footmuff. Best buy ever! Cushioned the carseat, kept her cosy warm, and best of all, if we went indoors I only had to unzip the top cover so she didn't overheat. No waking her up whilst struggling to get her in and out of coats etc.

New babies and coats are hard work, IMO...

I do agree that not an awful lot is needed. Somewhere safe to put the baby, as you will need to rest. Moses baskets don't last long. We got a 2nd hand one given, and just bought a new mattress. They slept in it downstairs, but went straight in the cot (or in bed with me) upstairs.

I found the baby sleeping bags brilliant, stops them kicking covers off as even the tiny ones are little wrigglers...

I've not done any winter prep yet. We have sledge / shovel / salt from last year. I have boots. No idea what size the tots will be next winter so will get them nearer the time. MIL gets them for £1 from carboots, so probably has every size going, lol.

Loving the idea about fleece up at the windows, though! And we had extra insulation in loft last Oct, what a difference!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family