PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I do have 360 disposable nappies (huggies & pampers which cost me a grand total of £3!) which i intend to use at first :)

We find out if its pink or blue on saturday and then i will be at carboots every sunday for bits and pieces, funnily enough before i read this post i had said to my nan im going to get enough clothes up to 9 months so im seen right through to next carboot season ;) I am picking up a bag of boys 6-9 months stuff off freecycle tonight, if i have a girl i can give them to my friend having a boy or keep them to myself :)

Really appreciate the advice... though less talk of 11lb babies please ;) :P
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • SandBsMum
    SandBsMum Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I do have 360 disposable nappies (huggies & pampers which cost me a grand total of £3!) which i intend to use at first :)

We find out if its pink or blue on saturday and then i will be at carboots every sunday for bits and pieces, funnily enough before i read this post i had said to my nan im going to get enough clothes up to 9 months so im seen right through to next carboot season ;) I am picking up a bag of boys 6-9 months stuff off freecycle tonight, if i have a girl i can give them to my friend having a boy or keep them to myself :)

Really appreciate the advice... though less talk of 11lb babies please ;) :P

Sounds like you've got it worked out :)

My boy's 10 weeks now. My first was a tiddly 5lbs and overdue, so having been sent for numerous growth scans as I was measuring very small we were told to prepare for another tiny baby, I bought some tiny/early baby clothes this time. It was a complete waste of money as he came out weighing in at just under 8lbs! He must have been well tucked up as I was only measuring 32 FH! As I said, he's now 10 weeks and has been in his 3-6month stuff for a couple of weeks now! The 6-9 month stuff I bought in advance is all autumn based, so may not be used much :/

I wouldn't worry about the size thing, my first was a section and I was a little nervous about trying for a VBAC, my neighbour, an elderly and very blunt lady had me laughing with her very wise words of "6lbs or 16lbs, there's not too much in it head-wise, and after that's out you're pretty much numb" :eek:

Not what I wanted to hear at the time but it made me chuckle after! I did it without the drugs we all thought I'd be demanding (I'm a wimp) and I'd do it again.

Good luck, and how exciting! I have plenty of blue bits you'd be more than welcome to and pink bits 6 months plus
    Started comping 23/05/12
    Thankyou to everyone who takes the time to post competitions
    Wins: Pantera CD, Hunter Wellies
  • SandBsMum
    SandBsMum Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Lol my eldest was 8lb4 and wouldn't budge. We needed the tongs :-( my youngest was a pound and a half less and she just slid out, my waters hadn't even gone, she was still in her membranes...

That's meant to be super lucky isn't it?
    Started comping 23/05/12
    Thankyou to everyone who takes the time to post competitions
    Wins: Pantera CD, Hunter Wellies
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Lol my eldest was 8lb4 and wouldn't budge. We needed the tongs :-( my youngest was a pound and a half less and she just slid out, my waters hadn't even gone, she was still in her membranes...

My waters hadn't broken with my son, but he was determined to get out. The pressure of him being half-way out with a stretched bag of fluid in front of him made it suddenly break and shoot out like a water cannon. The midwife was sitting just in front of me and had to dodge out of the way before it hit her :rotfl:. After all that he stuck his head out, decided he didn't want to be born after all and went back in :rotfl:
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    I had horrible memories of cloth nappies from when my little sister (who is now 27) was a baby which is why I went with disposables, I had visions of stabbing my DD with the safety pin :o :rotfl:

I used cloth nappies 10 years ago and they had velcro with a plastic over pants. Not a nappy pin in sight. They were very effective but when baby two came along I found it hard to keep up with the laundry, breast feeding and used a mixture of cloth and disposable.
    nicki wrote: »
    Just a heads up about the clothing, make sure you get some in the 3-6month range as well, obviously I don't know how big your baby will be, but my DD was out of 0-3 month stuff pretty fast, I think we only got about 6 weeks out of them

I agree with this, my children were both given so many of these that it was not possible for them to actually wear all of the outfits before they grew out of them. Tiny babies don't care what they wear.

Don't forget formula for baby even if you plan on breast feeding it comes in really handy if you are worn out or poorly and gives dada a turn at night feeds that way they get used to both and you have less problems if you have to stop breast feeding you could get ready made cartons and tin of powder for when you use it more often hth

I agree, no matter how much you think you want to, breast feeding is not easy and a plan b escape route is a good idea. A breast pump is an excellent idea, gets round the dad feeding problem. However, my baby (not yet weaned) refused to drink my milk when I got pregnant again. I strongly recommend keeping emergency formula supply in stock.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Took DD curtain shopping to start on her winter prep. She got some 90" x 90" lined curtains for £14.99 in Poundstretcher. Did try Dunelm and although they had some bargains all in her budget were tab tops and she needed pencil pleats. No cheap fleeces anywhere as yet though for extra insulation. That means that when she does get some the curtains will have to come down again..............

Oh, and for chirpychick our GD is 11 weeks old and DD said to tell you to get loads of bibs (not plastic backed) and/or muslin squares. She can't believe how many she can get through in a day:)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    No I'm struggling with the cheap fleeces at the moment. I couldn't even find the £1.09 in Ikea last week.

I treat myself to thermals in prep for winter at the weekend. I went out thinking I might pick up some bargains it supposedly being summer and all. Hardly a bargain to be found :( I still bought, just in case they were never going to come down this year but I wasn't happy. Do stores know something we don't?!
  • abwsco
    Options
    We've no Ikea near us at all but I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't buy more when Dunelm had them in. Again, as DD's windows are so long she needs large fleeces as well.

Like you I'm surprised there aren't more bargains about.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SandBsMum wrote: »
    That's meant to be super lucky isn't it?

Allegedly. I'm still waiting...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • abwsco
    Options
    Asda have some fleeces online 2 for £5 but they're not very big at only 122 x 152 cm Might be of use for some though:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure