PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dont know if I have already posted this on here but my DD has always used fleeces as sheets on the bottom of DGS's cot, they don't move once tucked in, are really snuggly and wash and dry so quickly. I know Primark have sleeping bags too for about £3 that would work well with a slightly older child.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    lizzyb1812 wrote: »
    2 things - wear leggings not pyjama bottoms because they will cling to your legs or sew elastic on the bottom of the legs to make a stirrup to go under your feet. Actually, a third thing - wear bed socks with the pyjama legs tucked in.

Heehee I've tried tucking them into socks but with little success. I really fidget a LOT!

Never thought of leggings, they weren't designed for a lady of my proportions :D but for lounging around the house, may be ideal! Know where I can get some cheap?

Elastic on the bottom - excellent idea :)

To be fair, I have this problem with all trousers when linging on the sofa, not just jammies :(
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heehee I've tried tucking them into socks but with little success. I really fidget a LOT!

Never thought of leggings, they weren't designed for a lady of my proportions :D but for lounging around the house, may be ideal! Know where I can get some cheap?

To be fair, I have this problem with all trousers when linging on the sofa, not just jammies :(
    How about jogging bottoms? They mightn't ride up so much and they are thicker than jami's. A friend of mine who feels the cold wears them with a sweatshirt for winter jamis. She once had to evacuate her hotel room in an emergency and the rest of her party commented on how quickly she'd dressed while they stood around shivering!;):)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Poohbear59 don't beat yourself up, you still have plenty of winter ahead and after this I am sure you will be ready for the rest of it. I hope the oil turns up very soon. Before we had central heating ( only had it 30 months) I used to wrap my dressing gown round a hot water bottle every night before going to bed, kept it right by the bed and before I got out I would put it on, and the heat from the bottle had not completely gone and so would put on a warm gown which made a big difference to getting up to a cold house. If it was really cold then would put two bottles and bundle my slippers in as well and hubbys dressing gown, although he found the cold woke him up better. Then I would put the calor gas heater on that we have on landing to warm upstairs, still there for emergencies.

I forgot that we have a calor gas heater in the shed and in the back of the airing cupboard I found a couple of hot water bottles. It is a great idea to warm your dressing gown up before getting out of bed. Maybe tomorrow I will get out of bed earlier.

mardatha, we gave up on coal because of my asthma but I will see if we can get any low sulphur coal.

SpikeyHedghehog I am searching for a long, warm, rain resistant coat now. I have many weatherproof jackets and a couple of wool coats but I am need of something warm just for going out to the hens and maybe to the shops. I am awkward as can't have down. Have you looked on ebay. There are a lot on there atm.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    My dd's fav new thing to do is lie in front of the fire in her sleeping bag - she even persuaded daddy to carry her to bed in it and is sleeping in it under her duvet.

My bedroom has been freezing and I have been wondering why. Looking for draught, checking the pillow shoved up the chimney, closing curtains at dusk all to no avail. Today I noticed the rad thermostat was off - blush. Room has been a lot warmer today rofl.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • tugrin
    tugrin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fleece or sheets - why not I ask myself???? We have sort of got locked into a peculiar mindset that the bottom sheet has to be crisp, smooth linen/cotton preerably with a high 'thread count' but why? There seems little to be gained in winter rom this approach and the reason I have refrained from getting flannelette is the idea of trying to dry them without a tumble dryer. But fleece, apart from being synthetic and possibly getting smellier more quickly, would seem to be the answer to a maidens prayer. Lidl here I come!
    debt free 2021 at current DMP rate[/COLOR] (probably be in an old peoples home by then)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2011 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Yes I swapped to fleecy fake sheepskin-ey type stuff years ago for the winter, its gorgeous. Husband just used a bag of salt from my stash to get the lassie next door off to work, her car was well & truly stuck. He moaned like hell when I bought a dozen bags of salt and that was a wee bit over the top.. ;)
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options

i'm a larger lady and i find evans and sometimes even places like very or h&m doing leggings in sizes up to 32 (i'm a 26 myself) i'd say go for a legging with about 95% viscose and 5% elastane, or similar proportions, they are very warm, quite stretchy and very very comfortable and thin enough to go under trousers when it's really cold, i wear mine under my nice trousers when we go to the edinburgh christmas village each year as i know i'll be outside for hours at a time and they make a huge difference.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    My dd's fav new thing to do is lie in front of the fire in her sleeping bag - she even persuaded daddy to carry her to bed in it and is sleeping in it under her duvet.

my daughter has been sliding into her sleeping bag then getting under the duvet each night too, she likes to start with a lot of covers then kicks off most of them in the night *sighs*

i've been turning the electric blanket on her bed on for an hour before bed, takes the nip off of sliding into the covers, i actually kinda like that feeling but she doesn't so i let her have the blanket.

we're both loving our hot water bottles in bed, it's so lovely to cuddle it to my chest as i nod off, i get both the cool nip AND lovely core warmth, bliss!

we had another hard frost here last night but no more snow though it's in the forecast for tonight, hope we get some soon, my daughter is fit to burst for it :rotfl:
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    yeah she complained this morning she was too hot!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport