PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My Sainsbugs delivery came, with a very full of himself young guy who drove right down our cul de sac, despite the fact that it was frozen snow over ice....
    We said Oh be careful, you'll get stuck....and he said Nooo I wont I'm fine. With a pitying smile for the two old fusspots.. .:D:D
    ONE HOUR later, with a lot of shovelling from my OH and sliding to within inches of our car and the neighbours' ..... he finally got back out :D:D:D
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Mardatha, sounds as if maybe you should buy a few bags of grit - don't know if you have a Mr M anywhere near with a garage, they are selling 10kg bags for £3, they might even have them instore, I only ever go in the store when we get a voucher, as hubby buys their petrol, basically for the voucher, as even though for us takes months it always seems to come just when we need that extra £5 :)

No more hail the rain came back and hasn't gone away soon, definitely thinking of seeing if the sledges can be used as boats, as expected water levels to rise any time, and we are no where near an above ground river, there is one that has been built over a mile away, but we have in the past had water covering road, coming over the kerb and coming into gardens before now when we have had as much rain as we are having now even though road has very good drainage it just cannot handle all this as we live at bottom of a hill and all water runs down, so far drains are coping but for how much longer I wonder.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • beanrua
    beanrua Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Car stuck on hill outside my house at 11.30 last night. Me and OH went out with shovels and put grit under the tyres and then I said all knowingly - ' no throttle' and away he went. He was very grateful for us gritting and helping him. 30 mins later we heard another car revving and went out with shovels - the lad looked at us as if we were mad and said he'd get up the hill with no bother - so we went inside again - about 15 mins later he knocked and asked for the loan of a shovel to put some grit down!!!
    Treat the Earth well,
    It was not given to you by your parents,
    It was loaned to you by your children.
    Masai proverb
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Confuzzled wrote: »
    cheers, i ordered at the same time it appears so least i know not to worry about it coming today... i do hope if the weather is wild on thursday as expected it still gets here, got some goodies in the house waiting for stuff from my AF order... well and my driver is really nice and brings the boxes to the top of the stairs for me so i wouldn't want him out in nasty weather poor man! :p

ill be getting mine tomorrow.. got the email to say its been dispatched
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have hardly joined in with you and now I wish I listened to all you sensible people on this thread.

We had snow yesterday, still more last night, I have a horrible cold and we still have no heating oil. The house is like an ice box. The worst thing is attempting to get out of bed in the morning, it is sooo cold.

The wood burner is alight but it isn't really touching the temperature of the living room. Now I know how people felt when this house was built in 17th century.

So my list for this week.
    Chase up oil order
    Order gas
    Price up wood splitters
    Price up 4wd vehicles - used and read reviews.
    Cling film over single glazed windows
    check doors - get living room door frame repaired, porch doors to be shaved and refitted
    contact plumber re changes to wood stove plumbing.

ETA posted to make myself get organised for the bad weather.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2011 at 7:03PM
    Options
    just saw that lidl will be having single, double and king size mircofleece fitted sheets from dec 12th, might pick some up myself!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=26808

EDIT: oh i just looked at more stuff available on the 12th from lidl, there are some fireplace items (ash vacumn,fire tool set,fireguard) for those of you that may need them, seem a good price and a big rug http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=26853
  • tryingtobethrifty
    tryingtobethrifty Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2011 at 6:40PM
    Options
    You must be roughly in the same vicinity as me (as much as that means in rural terms IYKWIM:)) - the Fort's the nearest place for shops for me ... around 25 miles.

TBH it was pretty quiet yesterday lunchtime (was surprised as usually much busier this time of year) - I arrived at 10 am on the dot this morning as only wanted to go to one shop (went to Mr A first) and wanted to get home ASAP in case more snow came. Was quiet then but there was a fair bit of traffic heading towards town as I was travelling back.

I should've went up then, but at least I saved money not shopping. We're not that far out ...12 miles or so, can just make it there and back, if I'm quick, between nursery runs.

ooh... and thank you for the starting advice, I got snow tyres this year so hoping not to be stuck in quite as much as last year.
    "A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others" Barnyard the children's film.

"A wise man hears one word, but understands two" Cars 2
  • salome
    salome Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Confuzzled, I home school as well :-) Have done for about 18yrs :-)

x
    A work in progress :D
  • tugrin
    tugrin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Confuzzled and salome - Im a teacher and I home schooled my school-refuser son for 2 years!!!!! There just isnt one size fits all in education and much as my ego would like it I know there are children out there who do better with committed parents than little ol' me!!!!
    Mind Im in it for the children of totally uncommitted parents these days - after all someone has to.
    Dont worry poohbear - Im a prepper of very little brain too - my loo rolls are down to a mere 18 (dont all faint) and the hat I spent so much money on proved totally useless in todays wind so have to rethink how to keep a warm face and head!
    debt free 2021 at current DMP rate[/COLOR] (probably be in an old peoples home by then)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello

I just wanted to share with people who will understand :D

Today I drove to work with my winter emergency kit in the car, knowing it was there gave me a warm and happy feeling!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure