PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like my stockpile of food will come in handy - last week Tesco shelves were very low because three boats had been cancelled. They are low again this week apparently (I haven't been in) and the boat has been cancelled tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to listen out for when the next boat comes and will hot foot it to Mr T as one thing I haven't been getting in my stash is soya milk - and I'm getting very low on it :eek:

But I'm so glad I started doing a stockpile. I really need somewhere better to store it all though.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been up to check on the DDs.... They have lovely warm beds now with a duvet under and over them... and DD1 has found her felt elf hat and is wearing it whilst asleep. She looks very cute. I think she secretly wants a WeeWillyWinky bed hat but is embarrassed! I think I am going to make her one from an old T Shirt and just leave it in her room - I bet she uses it!!

Bless her!
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    It has been bitterly cold all day with the ice warning light on my car all the time. The wind is adding to the extra chilliness as well. Forecasting some snow showers - albeit light ones- tomorrow sometime. Winter has come a knocking!

It is forecasting for us on Friday night -4 degrees and then on Saturday -6 so my boys are going to have their heavy weight coats on come Friday afternoon. They are all snuggled up in their stables at night anyway, but if I am warm in my home they should be in theirs.

Washing will be done tomorrow, but the tumble dryer will be pressed into action as I doubt it will dry in this weather outside. Last year I had to use the dryer allot so not having to use it too much this far in I don't feel so bad about having to use it!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Frugal wrote: »
    DD1 has found her felt elf hat and is wearing it whilst asleep. She looks very cute. I think she secretly wants a WeeWillyWinky bed hat but is embarrassed!

Maybe her mum wants one really;) matching hats :D

That took me back to when my DS was little, he went to bed in his santa hat, still got the picture, looked so cute he was only 2.
    Wouldn't look the same these days, he's 31 now :)
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Well my tinned tomatoes are multiplying I now have 28 tins, hubby looked at me when I said I wanted more, so explained yet again aim is to have 3 months of everything and as I throw tomatoes in to at least 3 meals a week, very often more I need a lot of tomatoes, so at least he accepted that, baby steps have worked, first one month, then two, now three, although not quite at two for quite a few things but at least he is on board for three months stocks..........I forgot to look at getting more meat pies doh!!!! still only 4 oh well come any-time from Thursday onwards after he gets paid and depending when he is working they will multiply as well. Did splurge on to tins of macaroni cheese for £1.70 in FarmF**ds as a treat for me.

Right off to bed in hope to sleep like a normal person at night and hopefully get into the city tomorrow.

Night night all stay warm and safe
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    Just been up to check on the DDs.... They have lovely warm beds now with a duvet under and over them... and DD1 has found her felt elf hat and is wearing it whilst asleep. She looks very cute. I think she secretly wants a WeeWillyWinky bed hat but is embarrassed! I think I am going to make her one from an old T Shirt and just leave it in her room - I bet she uses it!!

Bless her!

Bless her indeed :) ! DS2 has a 'snuggle hat' that he's had since he was toddler (now 8) and still crams onto his head on occasion. His hair goes all sticky-uppy and he looks adorable!
    adelight wrote: »
    I need to convince OH that he does need an emergency snow type kit in his car. He'll thank me for it if he ends up spending a night on the m25 this winter. I'm going to search the thread for a basic idea of one and if needs be I'll pinch his keys and put it in the boot while he's not concentrating!

Frugal... rabbit coat? Made of rabbits?

My new coat arrived today from topshop (£45 offer and it's wool), it's very smart and just what I needed. Big enough to fit thick jumpers under so I'll be boiling on the walk home from work instead of freezing :D I have plenty of practical warm coats but my smart dark one died last year- i'd had it since i was 13.

I was wearing my new from last year short warm coat at work and feeling very despondent as it wouldn't do up & I didn't realise I'd put on that much weight. But when I put it on at the weekend, it was fine! Oh yeah, layers add bulk... :o I need a larger & longer coat that will do up over a hooded sweatshirt jacket & fleece body warmer & vest & polo shirt and keep more of my legs warm.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    Its "no throttle" not no clutch... release the clutch really gently until you feel the 'bite' then the car should move, slowly... keep going and then change gear....

Hi, Everyone,

just taking a bit of time out to check you're all safe & sound.

I woke unexpectedly today to a snowy scene...it wasn't expected this far east but obviously no one told the clouds to stay back! :mad:

Not only did we have a bit of the snow (not as much as western places), and a bit of a blizzard as I left for work, but also sheet ice...oh, how I hate that stuff! Anyway, I used the no accelerator/no throttle method 3 or 4 times today, and it's fab! The car feels so much more under control and how easy it is...:T

So, thank you Frugal and anyone else who has mentioned this method of starting off. I'll be using it a lot, I reckon.

Keep warm & safe everyone.

x
  • LavenderBees
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    Hello

I just wanted to share with people who will understand :D

Today I drove to work with my winter emergency kit in the car, knowing it was there gave me a warm and happy feeling!

Totally agree! Mine was promoted from the boot to the back seat in case the boot freezes shut again (it did last winter). I too felt safer for knowing it was there. :D

x
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this query but I am sure you guys can point me in the right direction :D

With the cold weather having arrived I have dug out my pajamas to wear while curled up under the duvet and to sleep in. However, I am quite a fidgeter and i find the pajama legs ride up to my knees and get all twisted, its really uncomfortable. It also wakes me up at night because i feel all tangled. Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

• lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this query but I am sure you guys can point me in the right direction :D

With the cold weather having arrived I have dug out my pajamas to wear while curled up under the duvet and to sleep in. However, I am quite a fidgeter and i find the pajama legs ride up to my knees and get all twisted, its really uncomfortable. It also wakes me up at night because i feel all tangled. Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

2 things - wear leggings not pyjama bottoms because they will cling to your legs or sew elastic on the bottom of the legs to make a stirrup to go under your feet. Actually, a third thing - wear bed socks with the pyjama legs tucked in.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure