PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Options

Comments

• mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    had a sprinkling of snow.. turned to icey snow pretty quickly tho.. tried to clear the car but gave up an come back inside
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, wondering if anyone has any ideas, my youngest daughter is in the box room which is really cold, the house is double glazed and insulated but her bedroom is above the front door where there is no heat and therefore no heat rises ino her room.

I have put a fleece under her cot sheet and put her in a sleeping bag as she wriggles and gets out of the covers otherwise. I have the heating on 40mins on a morning and 40 mins on an evening. Last night I ran an electric heater on the landing in the hope that some of the heat would go under her door as couldn't leave it open as the noise of the heater would wake her but all that happened was my eldest kicked her covers off as she was too hot and it didn't help with the youngests room.

Last year when it got really cold I had the heating booting up around 3 in the morning for half an hour but at the moment everyone else in the house is not cold through the night. last night when I went in her room at 10 the thermometer stated the room was bordering on too cold and this morning her room was freezing.

I am out of ideas, I put an extra cover over when I go to bed but this comes off anyway, the heater is too noisy to put in her room and obviously I can't burn candles in there.

So please anyone any ideas??
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • tugrin
    tugrin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emmad - I lived in some very cold places when mine were tiny and lived in constant fear of them being too cold - often would bring one or other into bed with me! I am sure an electric radiator would do the trick and you can sgetome cheap ones that are just as good as the named brands. They are quiet and can be put on a timer to come on at the coldest times. I got mine from the Range and a very good cheapy 500 watt (tiny) one from my local electrical shop for just £20. Please do get something like this or you will spend the whole winter fretting.
    debt free 2021 at current DMP rate[/COLOR] (probably be in an old peoples home by then)
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Can you afford to buy a cheap electric heater, a non fan one so its quiet and this can be left on the lowest setting, its what I used when my children were to young to cover themselves up again as we didn't have central heating then.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152181/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATERS.htm

This is similar to what I used. I only put it on for an hour before they went to bed, then when I was going to bed, in between I popped in regularly to cover them up, then off it went in the morning. Also popped a baby hot water bottle in their cot/bed on very cold nights as added heat only then as didn't want to overheat them either.

Sorry nothing more to suggest
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Well just gone white outside, but sadly not snow but very, very heavy hail shower, well makes a change from the rain we have had past three days - it actually stopped raining for an hour and the sun peeped out, then went dark and now hailing like mad, so I guess a step in the right direction.......:rotfl:
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    snow here - and it felt great to be able to fetch the kids all their winter gear from its handy stash bundle them up and send them out into it to play at 7.30 this morning! I almost felt smug walking to school in all my gear feeling toasty warm. Though DH who has quite a walk from the car to his office forgot his winter boots I was at least able to provide him with wooly socks from the box in the boot!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your help guys, I think I will have to get one of the electric radiators for her at least then the rest of us aren't having to boil and pay a small fortune on gas just to keep her warm!
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Eliza it might be a stoat or weasel, take care of the wee hennies!
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    add a 2-3 days to expected delivery date.. or email em sales at approvedfood.com

i ordered on thursday they say i can expect it wednesday/thursday of next week 7/8th so a few days back log i would of thought..

cheers, i ordered at the same time it appears so least i know not to worry about it coming today... i do hope if the weather is wild on thursday as expected it still gets here, got some goodies in the house waiting for stuff from my AF order... well and my driver is really nice and brings the boxes to the top of the stairs for me so i wouldn't want him out in nasty weather poor man! :p
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    snow here - and it felt great to be able to fetch the kids all their winter gear from its handy stash bundle them up and send them out into it to play at 7.30 this morning!

i woke my daughter up early this morning telling her i had a present for her, i walked her sleepy head to the window and her eyes lit up! she begged for me to let her go play in the snow so i did!

so today for lessons (i home educate) she's learning about snow and is studying the sky to see if we might have more :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure