Fischer Storage Heaters

Options

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agree with Hengus, post a link so we can all read the report in it's entirety.

A 24 hour test as shown in the BRSIA is meaningless as it doesn't give a fair representation of how a heater works.

Ideally it need several days to a weeks worth of external temperature cycling so you can see how well it responds temperature changes over an extended period, likewise with any other type of heater.

It's interesting that Fischer specified the parameters to be used in the 24 hour test. The chamber was brought up to temperature before the test started, did 16 hours, then 8 hours and that was it. Waste of time.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • interestedinsavings
    Options
    Fischer heaters are not storage heaters, there is no means of keeping any generated heat in the heater until the heat is required. There is no insulation around the storage medium, and there is very little storage material. The heat generated is passed straight to the metal structure of the radiator or emitted straight in to the room as convection heat.

They are thermostatically controlled and time controlled. When there is heat demand, energy is drawn unlike Quantum for example whereby when there is heat demand some of the stored heat is released and no energy is drawn.

Fischer heaters are direct acting heaters and just like any direct heater will only use electricity at night if you want heat at night ( which most people don't want ). They are not capable of using night rate and storing heat for use later in the day.

I have not ' invented my own running costs ' - you provided the energy use figures and I used current energy costs to do simple calculations using your energy use figures.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Reproduced from here, in 2013.

An explanation, if you look up SAP 2012 v992 / panel convector or radiant [code691] water or oil filled [code694] portable [code693], you will see they all score RD with a [R-Factor] responsiveness of 1.0 neither the European Commission [DG Ener Lot20] or our own government [SAP] recognise their claims. Essentially what is happening, and its not physics its engineering is the oil / fluid filled distributes heat to itself in a uniform way, but there is no 'heating gain :

slower to start and slower prolonged finish proportion radiant heat at switch off

faster to start convecting and a faster to finish convected heat at switch off

So there is no efficiency gain, they sell themselves as replacement [brick heaters] storage, which they are not and can't be compared to, when there is no storage other than the 10 or so minutes it takes to release the last of its heat.

[IMG][/img]eIT7plr.png
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • netto
    netto Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Fischer has dynamic storage which means it in between conventional storage heaters and direct heaters, hence it stores heat with the advanced clay core system thereby when used controls the room temperature at 21c better than Quantum and other storage heaters,what is important for users is that the room temperature is maintained, something that cannot be achieved by conventional storage heaters as tested by BRE.
    As far as the running costs they are lower as fischer heaters also uses 7 pence per kW to heat , something you have not calculated when costing the running costs. Please put 7 pence for 45% of the daily consumption and then see which comes out cheaper.
    The main reason people choose Fischer because they keep a 21c temperature at all times when required like Central heating.
    It's central heating without pipes , boilers and annual maintenance
    I know which one people will go for, hence all the satisfied reviews on trust pilot.
    They keep me warm after I tried wibo heaters these are better as they store heat for longer...
    My home is lovely and warm in the winter, that's all that mattered and it does not cost me more .
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Peacock et alia is back.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • interestedinsavings
    Options
    Netto

Fischer heaters are not ' dynamic storage ' as they do not have any insulation around the core allowing them to retain heat generated from off peak tariffs for later use. They are direct acting heaters responding to room temperature requirements via a room thermostat. The only time they would use an off peak tariff is if a user wanted a room to be heated through the night!

The only reason that a room temperature might be accurately maintained is due to the use of a good electronic room thermostat.

The radio frequency thermostats used by Fischer are manufactured by DeltaDore in France and can be purchased to use with any electric heater.

Any electric heater with a good electronic thermostat will maintain the room temperature with the same accuracy and with the same running cost.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    netto wrote: »
    Fischer has dynamic storage which means it in between conventional storage heaters and direct heaters
    Then so is a £30 oil filled radiator from lidl.
    hence it stores heat with the advanced clay core system
    Substitute 'advanced clay core' with 'oil' and you are back to the same as a £30 lidl heater. What is so advanced about the clay core?
    what is important for users is that the room temperature is maintained
    Then they should buy a £30 heater with a thermostat from lidl.
    something that cannot be achieved by conventional storage heaters
    Proof please.
    as tested by BRE.
    Where's the report? Is it top secret?
    As far as the running costs they are lower as fischer heaters also uses 7 pence per kW to heat
    What, at night when nobody needs it? That's fairly pointless.
    Please put 7 pence for 45% of the daily consumption and then see which comes out cheaper.
    45%? Are you serious? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The main reason people choose Fischer because they keep a 21c temperature at all times when required like Central heating.
    They should choose a £30 heater from lidl, it'll do the same for a lot less money.

It's central heating without pipes, boilers and annual maintenance.
    Nobody with a brain would choose it over GCH.
    I know which one people will go for, hence all the satisfied reviews on trust pilot.
    It is well documented online how companies can manipulate Trust Pilot.
  • matelodave
    Options
    If NETTO is happy in his/her little fantasy world then I think the rest of us should leave him/her to it.
  • matelodave
    Options
    Not sure if any of us are sufficiently interested in actually persuing BRE for info. We dont really have to justify any outrageous claims

If it was readily available then I'm sure we'd have a shufti out of idle curiosity but generally those of us that went to school and did basic physics know already that they cannot be better than anything else.
  • ArcticMonkey
    Options
    Having read through the first nine pages of this thread (getting there!) I am feeling very foolish for having been roped in by a particular 'storage' heating company, purchasing three heaters for £6K. I live in a rural area (no gas) and embarking on my first renovation project in my first home.
    I was planning on getting another 'home survey' to install three more heaters but now that my project is further along the way I have more time/energy to do more research and I came across this thread so will not be taking it further. Thank you.
    My heaters are all excellent (replaced 1980's - or thereabouts - old storage heaters) but how stupid I am to have fallen into their costly trap. I wish this could be more in the media to expose these scams and help naive people like myself avoid spending so much money unnecessarily.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback