Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning» Flights, Currency & Car Hire

MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
553 replies 54.2K views

Replies

• I don't understand why the MSE website gives this horrible rip-off company free advertising space almost every week banging on about the "sale" they are offering. Ryanair are like those sofa companies: there is always a "sale" but unlike the sofa companies they trick customers into paying full price with all their nasty (ought to be illegal) hidden fees and surcharges.

I really hope MSE will realise they're being taken for a ride by this unethical company and STOP giving them free column space in every newsletter. Everyone knows Ryanair advertise flights for 1p, but they also know that 1p really means £80 after the hidden charges are slapped on. I'm personally sick of it and it makes me sad that MSE editors still seems to fall for the trick, passing on "hot news" about a "bargain" that does not exist.
  • aptapt Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cashpassport is pure garbage. Using it in an ATM costs £2, using it for UK purchases after March costs 50p, using it abroad costs 5.75%, not using it costs £2.50 per month after 6 months.
  • I moan about Ryanair, I hate them and the way they grab any opportunity to take money from their customers, and given any alternative, I would never use them. However, my wife and I (She is a wheelchair user) need to fly from our local airport, and Ryanair are the only airline that flies to the airport we need. Just as a matter of interest, on a Ryainair flight last year, as we were taxi-ing to our take off point, the staff played the usual safety tape which of course everyone was ignoring because they no doubt had seen if many times before. The staff stopped the tape, and informed us that we would not takeoff until we all kept quiet and watched the tape!!! Is this good customer service? As I am sure I understand it, the airline is compelled to give the safety demo but the passengers are under no compulsion to watch it.
    KTM_Gordo wrote: »
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them. People like 'cheap' - they're obsessed with low price.

We know that Ryanair add £6 to each flight, plus a fee if you want to actually fly, but if they fly where we want to go at the right time and for a price we are happy with, we'll still fly Ryanair.

Yes, the card fees are unfair but they're hardly a secret.

If you don't like it, fly with another airline, take the ferry or book a coach - all of which charge card fees.
  • SaveTheEuroSaveTheEuro Forumite
    892 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    2010 wrote: »
    · The card purchase fee of £6 will be reimbursed to Ryanair passengers since each cardholder will receive a £6 Ryanair travel voucher.

What can the voucher be spent on? It doesn't say it is redeemable against the cost of a flight.
  • edited 14 September 2011 at 10:45AM
    antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 September 2011 at 10:45AM
    jeklar wrote: »
    I moan about Ryanair, I hate them and the way they grab any opportunity to take money from their customers, and given any alternative, I would never use them. However, my wife and I (She is a wheelchair user) need to fly from our local airport, and Ryanair are the only airline that flies to the airport we need. Just as a matter of interest, on a Ryainair flight last year, as we were taxi-ing to our take off point, the staff played the usual safety tape which of course everyone was ignoring because they no doubt had seen if many times before. The staff stopped the tape, and informed us that we would not takeoff until we all kept quiet and watched the tape!!! Is this good customer service? As I am sure I understand it, the airline is compelled to give the safety demo but the passengers are under no compulsion to watch it.
    BUT talking loudly,reading the newspapers,playing with your phone,unwrapping your sandwiches is very distracting for other passengers,so this is why they have to do this by law.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    What can the voucher be spent on? It doesn't say it is redeemable against the cost of a flight.
    Redeemable against the cost of a ryanair cabin case (@£39.99) each
  • lazerlazer Forumite
    3.4K posts
    I have always been a fan of ryanair and don't mind jumping through the hoops to get the cheap flights

By having theses extra's, means there is ways to avoid them if you are inclined too spend the time researching it. If they added the extra's (ie: Booking surcharges, baggage fees etc) onto the headline price, tehn everyone would have to pay it.

I don't agree witht he online check-in feem as this is an unavoidable charge so should therefore be in the headline price.

This new card, although i don't know the terms of it, I don't like it, purely for the fee for non-sterling transactions.
    All transactions on Ryanair.com should be free.

Living in NI, I use Ryanair from Dublin, therefore all transactions are in Euro's.

Ryanair was an Irish airline, stop expoliting us with your fees, which are avoidable for UK passengers!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a un-generous person so i would like to give O'leary one finger back.
  • 2010 wrote: »
    The other good thing is that the more that don`t fly with RA the more bargain fares for those that do. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Not quite sure your theory is correct there. The more people that walk away from Ryanair will mean fares need to increase.

Don't forget, Ryanair don't make any money out of people like you paying £10 (ish) for flights with no luggage and no card fees. They need others to subsidise these by paying the fees.
  • I find Ryanair irritating as much as any other company that advertises a starting price & hikes it up through the booking process, but those that travel regularly with Ryanair will know exactly what to expect in terms of service & price so why are you still complaining.

Ryan is giving you the chance to reduce your total costs by travelling light & paying with one of their cards.

All that matters is that the end price is cheaper, who cares if they want to give you a full breakdown of the cost of every aspect of the flight.

If the seats are too cramped, stand up every so often! ive never understood why people dont leave their seats for hours, nor why at the end of a flight they will block airport escalators by standing still, as though they need to save energy after sitting on their behinds for hours eating junk food.

And why do people pay extra to get on the plane first!!! they nor their hand luggage will not be left behind! But then its these sorts along with the oversized bags & food/drink/gift consumers onboard that help subsidise the costs for the rest of us.

And why do average sized people always grab the extra leg room seats, why cant they be reserved for anyone over 6 foot or more that actually needs them.(please dont answer that)

If there was legislation for airlines & especially comparison sites to advertise the total cost includes taxes & fees then people would have nothing to complain about even if the total cost is higher. :think:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support